New Hunting Rig help | Carolina Shooters Club

New Hunting Rig help

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by Contenderv07, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Contenderv07

Contenderv07 Registered Member

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a suppressor for deer hunting, but I'm having a hard time deciding what caliber. I'm looking at lever guns so I've got it narrowed down between a 30-30 and 45-70. Which caliber would benefit the most from a suppressor?? by the way, I'm looking at the silencerco hybrid 46 (unless someone knows of a better/cheaper option).

2. Todd

Todd Registered Member

I have a marlin guide gun in 45-70. Its a thumper but fun to shoot. Only shot 1 deer with it and it did a complete roll and hit the ground at about 50 yards. I bought a hybrid 46 also and currently waiting for my stamp to come back. Its a good all around can and you can always change end caps and add quick detach if you like.

Contenderv07 likes this.
  3. barlowlc

barlowlc Registered Member

Don’t know about the silencer...but my Dad deer hunts with a 45-70 and it’s his favorite...He has a 308 and 30-06 but the 45-70 is his go to gun.....Killed a 185lb 8 point at 100 yards with Hornady LeverEvolution with no problem!

Contenderv07 likes this.
  4. Contenderv07

awesome!! it will be good to hear how you like that setup. Only reason I'm not thinking about getting a 45-70 is because 1) I'll be sitting down shooting. Not sure if I would need to get a tripod to shoot off of. 2) I separated my should a long time ago so it kind of puts it at a funky angle when shooting.

5. Todd

Todd Registered Member

Well 3030 has killed a many a deer. The 45 70 will still be came size and weight gun and should be easy to shoot off you knee when sitting. Ever go for bear you'll have the extra power. Finding ammo for either shouldn't be too hard other than 45 being a little more cost.

6. kstephens

kstephens Registered Member

If you're going to use a 30 caliber then go with a 308 not a 30-30.
    The reason is that the 30-30 twist is not going to stabilize a heavy projectile at subsonic velocity
    Whereas a 1;10 twist .308 with a heavy will
    The 30-30 projectiles will likely be tumbling 20 yards out.
    Personally, I'd go with a 450 bushmaster in a Ruger American.
    Twist rate is perfect.
    It's already threaded.
    A 45-70 with a low enough charge of smokeless to be subsonic isn't going to fill even half the case. So your going to have , most likely, erratic burns and accuracy unless you use a filter to occupy that void. Keep in mind that powder is going to bet lying down on the case.
    Plus....
    A 458 rifle suppressor is going to cost way more than a 451 that's intended for pistols.

Contenderv07 likes this.
  7. Contenderv07

I still haven't ruled out just sticking with a 308 (ar10), but all of my shots will be way under 100 yards. I would venture to guess where I'm hunting, 75 might be tops. And probably won't be shooting anything subsonic (for hunting at least). Too many options which is a good thing!!:)

8. kstephens

If your going to can up then have a reason. The tone and money spent doesn't justify shooting deer inside 100 yards with supersonic ammo.
    If you want to reduce your sound sound signature ask yourself why.
    $1000 and Six months?
    To avoid wearing ear plugs?
    I call BS!
    there's a reason. Neighbors?
    Or just cool points with the boys?
    No matter why, buy something that'll work on multiple guns and makes sense.

9. Contenderv07

LOL does it matter what I buy it for? If I use my money to buy it and just to chuck it out of the window, its still my money. I've always thought it would be fun to have one, I've got a separated shoulder, and I don't want to wear ear plugs when hunting to be able to, you know, hear them coming up... is that a good enough reason?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 3:54 PM
  10. kstephens

Suppressors not going to reduce recoil. Yeah, you're absolutely right it's your money.
    Gold plate it while you're at it.
    Seriously though. Enjoy your new toy.
    Since your not following any reason forget I said anything.
    I thought that the person asking the question wasn't just looking to piz away money for the heck of it . By all means. Go crazy!

So, to answer your question.

"I've got it narrowed down between a 30-30 and 45-70. Which caliber would benefit the most from a suppressor??"

Neither.
    A suppressor is not going to add anything to the projectiles potential.
    It's not going to make it more accurate or fly father or flatter.
    What it does is reduced Db by moderating the velocity that air exits the barrel.
    To a certain lesser degree, to recoil can be slightly reduced.
    So, I guess, 30-30 is the answer.
    I think Henry makes a pre threaded rifle for just such a project.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 5:07 PM
  11. Todd

Todd Registered Member

Having a suppressor on a hunting gun can be nice. No muzzle flash and no ear plugs. Yes it's fun to shoot subs but I want full power loads for hunting. Ever been to a prs match? Whats with everyone using all those cans?

Contenderv07 likes this.