Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to see what all the buzz was about, so I got myself a Kahr pm9 (thanks BOGeek!)

Am on crutches still so have not gotten out to shoot it.

A couple of questions, though.

It is tiny. Is this going to be one of those (ahem) "unpleasant" guns to shoot?

What kicked off my interest was Wahoo recommending the MK9. Are they the same size? What is the diff between an MK9 and a K9?

What is the difference between a CM9 and a pm9

Finally, I heard a lot of talk about the 7 round extended mags ftl probs. Seems that hollow points especially have a tendency to load UNDER the feed ramp on some of the mags. You guys know anything about that? The six rounders don't seem to have that kind of problem it seems.

Any input?

thnx in advance.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Not sure if the molded grip checkering is as sharp as the CW9. The only trouble I had was the grips really shredded my hand.
Take a glove. I took 400 grit wet dry and sanded the edges off.

I broke mine in with UMC bulk, was not bad at all. When I tested Critical defense, it was a piece of cake.

I have been shooting Kahr since the first group of CCH instructors got together in the early days. Love em

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Never had a problem with the 7 round mags using federal hst. I keep the 6 rounder in while carrying and keep the two 7 rounders in my mag pocket holder alexap made (he also made my holster).

Difference in the PM9 and CM9 is the barrel. PM9 has hexagonal rifling which could make it possibly more accurate (but this is a subcompact) and CM9 has standard rifling. Also the slide on the pm9 is engraved.

Once broke in good you can simply chamber the round without having to use the slide release. If it was BOG's maybe it is broke in :D

For a DAO trigger it's not bad, pretty smooth. I can easily do 3 inch groups at 12 yards offhand with it, and I am not that good with a pistol. NCreptile shot it last week and was impressed for a DAO subcompact. He said it felt like a 40 though LOL. I don't notice the snappyness anymore, he did not do bad with it for a first time shooter of one, and he was just shooting his Full Size Beretta in SA.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I own several Kahr pistols. They are great pistols and mine have been very accurate and reliable.

To answer your questions, the PM9 is not what you want to shoot all day at the range, but it is not an uncomfirtable pistol to shoot. I like the ginger extension mags so I can get all three of my small fingers on the grip. I have never had any problems with either the short or extended magazines, but I think hand size has something to do with the problems that some have experineced.

The MK9 and K9 are steel pistols. The MK9, PM9 and CM9 are all the same basic size with the MK having a slightly wider grip. The K9 and P9 pistols are a little longer in both the grip and barrel than the MK/PM series pistols.

The PM9 compares to the CM9 equally in size, but there are some cost saving manufacturing area, i.e. rifling is different, sights are different, only one magazine from the factory for the CM9, and the CM9 has some MIM parts that are steel in the PM9.

I hope you enjoy it, you have purchased what I think is one of the best available concealed carry pistols.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Great choice on a small pistol! They shoot fine and the snappiness is a non-issue unless your hands are fairly sensitive. The unfun-to-shoot pistols are the little 380s like the NAA Guardian. I feel like I'm going to shoot myself in the face when I shoot those--like the little bugger's gonna jump right out of my hand.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
do yourself a favor and buy one of these grips:

http://talongungrips.com/Talon-Grip...3150EBBE20C1CAF46B2AFC10E19065E2.qscstrfrnt02

i have been through a bad pm9 and a good cm9. the bad pm9, i got used, and i imagine the previous owner knew it has issues, it nosedived rds horribly. it also was an older model, that was known to have issues. i loved the size of the pm9, so decided to give a new cm9 a chance. it's been great. i do however refuse to use the 7rd mags. i think they're crap. i only use the 6 rounders.

the talon grip will make shooting the little kahr much, much more pleasant. the cm9/pm9 has some aggressive checkering on the back of the grip that tore into the webbing b/t my thumb and trigger finger w/o the grip. adding the talon grip makes it even a decent range gun in my opinion. the recoil really isn't bad at all, just the checkering can cause issues, at least for me.

i actually have my cm9 for sale now, b/c guess what, i've always wanted a black dlc pm9, and i just ordered one (also ordered a new talon grip). if i don't end up selling the cm9, then i really won't mind. it is a great pistol; it will probably pass to my wife for carry. can't go wrong w/ either, just make sure to not judge it before you put the mandatory 200rds through it...

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I don't think the CM9 I have is snappy at all. In fact it's not much more recoil than the M&P 9. I've read on the Kahr forum that the little Kahr handles like a 'big little gun.'

Save yourself some money and get a Hogue Handall junior grip for about $10 at the LGS. Gives you a good rubber overlay for the checkering and a place for at least two fingers with a glock type grip on the front. The gun is really tight for the breakin period of 200 rounds. I'm about 240 and the action is really getting smooth.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
And here is the standard K9.

Wahoo takes a much better picture than I do but I can I assure you that my K9 is MUCH nicer than his old MK9 :sp

Here is someone else's much better picture

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
The PM9 is a superb CCW handgun. One of the best sub-compact options on the market at any price. Unless you have really large hands it handles and shoots like a much larger handgun. Recoil is not an issue unless your are super sensitive...if so get a 32acp in pink:(.

For IWB or pocket carry I also own a G19, G26, Ruger LCP, and a S&W J Frame. If I could only have one, the PM9 is the most versatile performer overall IMO. I have had zero issues from day one (4 years) with this fine little semi-auto. Its small but actually enjoyable at the range, and you can run 100 rounds through it and not be tired of shooting it.

This explains the differences between the P series and CW series. The biggest difference is the CW series has standard rifling and the P series has polygonal rifling and drift adjustable sights.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I have had one of the PM9 since they first came out. I believe it was 2001 or 2002 when I purchased it. I added a set of Meprolight Night Sights. It is comfortable to shoot and has a really good trigger for a semiauto. I have tried all the new various ones out there from Ruger, Smith, Keltec, et all. I have not found one yet that is easier to carry and shoot.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Use a quality fmj ammo for brake in. Hold the pistol with a solid grip and round a couple hundred rounds thry it. Recoil?? Not like shooting a 22 but not a bad handgun ether. Easier to shoot a cm/pm9 for me than a g26. The cw9 is more like a g19 in recoil, to me. The cw9 gives a full grip for most people the smaller models can wear on you as only 2 fingers on the grip. I have ahad zero noise dives . I do only use a GD bullet design. Assume if you have any porblems its ammo first followed by the shooter , only then look to the firearm as the problem.

Differences cheaper models have a noramal rifleing in the barrel. MIM bolt pin instead of bilit. Sights are different with regular straight 8 sights. no night sights and no second mag. Seems some have issues with mags but mine fine with mags for higher cap pistols. My cm run well on the cw , 7 shot and tp , 8 shot mags.

Remember most problems tend to be owner induced.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Just traded for a CM9 and previously owned a P9. I have a K-T PF9. I really liked the P9, but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The polymer-framed Kahr guns are softer-shooting with better triggers than any of the competitor guns I've shot. The full-size Kahr in steel are excellent guns, and their capacity limits the only negatives I've run across. (I've shot the Ruger LC9, the KT PF-9, both larger than the PM-9 or CM-9, and find them marginally only comfortable to shoot. I've added the KT-Addon's grip materials, and that helps with any of them. The P9 was very pleasant to shoot, with a excellent trigger.) Haven't shot the CM9 yet, but expect it to be more pleasant than the PF9. We'll see...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm a recent convert from the Ruger LC9 to the Kahr CM9. It's been a great decision as the trigger is far superior on the Kahr. I don't mind shooting it at all - it's not uncomfortably snappy or anything like that. I actually rather enjoy shooting it, and find I'm fairly accurate with it.

I have only used the 6 round mag and have had no issues with feeding, even when slingshotting the slide instead of using the slide stop release.

-Andrew

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Just picked up a K9 as well...............
Nice! It's a beauty, ain't it? Did you get the Elite version or the standard with NYPD trigger? Also, is it brand new or used? Sometimes they come from the factory with a lot of machining debris/dried grease in the firing mechanism and require a detail strip. I think you will greatly enjoy the K9.

A couple of links for you:

Detail strip upper

Proper break-in

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I finally got to the range to shoot the PM9 and K9. Mekender is up here waiting to move his family up, and he was threatening to immolate himself on the courthouse steps of Chapel Hill out of sheer boredom, so we scooted out to the range Saturday.

Couple of observations:

1) the recoil, even on the pm9, is not bad. I expected it to be like a kel-tec or something. Not uncomfortable at all to shoot. That was nice.

2) I do the normal (for me) "off left and up" with shot placement. Thousands of rounds and I am still pulling the shot, as I do with almost every handgun. I REALLY need professional training. I am going to take a class when my ankle heals. Frustrated with myself.

3) The Kahr trigger is LLLLLOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG. Long enough to stage it. I am going to have to shoot this one a bunch to get used to it.

4) I prefer the K9 over the PM9, but the PM slips right into your pocket and conceals nicely. I know DeSantis makes nice holsters for pockets, but I don't see anything for the Kahr. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.