Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to post this earlier and forgot. Today I stopped by a pawn shop (its actually not new, just new owners) that was waiting for a FFL the last time I was in (months ago) and was pleasantly surprised to see that they are delving into guns in a big way. They did not really have anything in stock but I got to talking with the owner's husband and he directed me to a side room that is being converted into a gun room with smith services. They have a few display cases and racks on the wall for long guns and he even had something out that he was working on. Whole room smelled like Hoppes!
Anyway, I don't know if it will be anything worthwhile but I wanted to pass it along. I for one would be happy to support a local business, provided they have reasonable prices. So far it is a work in progress but I will report back if anything comes of it.

Apparently the last owner got in some deep doo doo. From what I hear, the owners son was a convicted felon and was selling guns to people who could/should not own them. It seems ATF frowns on this type of behavior lol.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must be the one near the plaza across from family dollar?
That is the one.

One of the pawn shops near Central/Plaza was hit with a takeover style robbery about 6-7 years ago.
Tell you what, I think there is some kind takeover style robbery going at the intersection of central and eastway right now. I ran out for a soda about an 40 minutes ago and there was AT LEAST a dozen cruisers with lights on in the 7-11 lot. Another couple of cars had a car stopped/blocked in a few hundred yards up the street.

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
That would have been an idiot move since across the street at Eastway and Central is exactly where a police sub-station is located, behind the McDonalds. There's alway 4 or 5 cruisers parked out front.

BTW, I still like to eat at the House of Pizza whenever I get the chance.

So, that pawn shop is the one beside Midtown Smoke House. I used to know those guys and a friend of the family used to own those buildings.

Ahh..., right beside a classic Dairy Queen.

Note all the food references. I must be hungry.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
That would have been an idiot move since across the street at Eastway and Central is exactly where a police sub-station is located, behind the McDonalds. There's alway 4 or 5 cruisers parked out front.
That's never stopped criminals in the past. Someone has tried to rob the Wendy's (across the street), cricket cell phone store (beside the office), and robbed a man at the western wear store at the top of the parking lot. There's a lot of crime in that area as a whole

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's never stopped criminals in the past. Someone has tried to rob the Wendy's (across the street), cricket cell phone store (beside the office), and robbed a man at the western wear store at the top of the parking lot. There's a lot of crime in that area as a whole
Yeah and it sucks. We live in the Merry Oaks neighborhood (we actually have another csc member in the hood) and we love it here. It's all the crap that surrounds us that we can't stand. We have been here for about two and a half years (ever since we moved to NC) and you couldn't ask for better neighbors/neighborhood. So while we were considering buying this house at one point, it looks like we will be buying elsewhere, probably Cabarrus county.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
By the way, what is a "take over style" robbery? i guess I don't watch enough CSI. lol
Think of the bank robbery scene from Heat. Crew comes in and takes complete control of the business. A conventional robbery will have one, maybe 2, suspects that come in and control a single employee, take an item or two and then jet.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
"That's never stopped criminals in the past. Someone has tried to rob the Wendy's (across the street), cricket cell phone store (beside the office), and robbed a man at the western wear store at the top of the parking lot. There's a lot of crime in that area as a whole "

That's why they put the sub-station there in the first place. It doesn't seem to have slowed the crime down much but they don't use as much gas during the investigation.

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
Yeah and it sucks. We live in the Merry Oaks neighborhood (we actually have another csc member in the hood) and we love it here. It's all the crap that surrounds us that we can't stand. We have been here for about two and a half years (ever since we moved to NC) and you couldn't ask for better neighbors/neighborhood. So while we were considering buying this house at one point, it looks like we will be buying elsewhere, probably Cabarrus county.
Merry Oaks, that's a little further down toward Kilborne? I spent my high school years over that way. I went to Garinger. I still have property on The Plaza. Did they do anything with the Wal-Mart that vacated? I was worried that building empty with hurt the neighborhood.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Merry Oaks, that's a little further down toward Kilborne? I spent my high school years over that way. I went to Garinger. I still have property on The Plaza. Did they do anything with the Wal-Mart that vacated? I was worried that building empty with hurt the neighborhood.
I want to say they're making it into a Target but I'm not sure. They've been working on it though.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard it was going to be a restaurant supply house. Not exactly a great anchor tenant for what is supposed to be a retail shopping plaza...

·
Provider of Facts
5,693 Posts
OKay -I grew up going to the Dairy Queen at Central and Pecan.

I will never pass up an invitation to eat at House of Pizza - always seems to get the lasagna

Let's meet up!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
There are quite a few places in the Charlotte area where awareness is an absolute must, even for CCW holders. As a matter of fact its extremely important to know and be aware at all times. Central avenue area has always had its share of problems. Just because one has a CCW permit doesn't mean they are safe, sorry to say.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OKay -I grew up going to the Dairy Queen at Central and Pecan.

I will never pass up an invitation to eat at House of Pizza - always seems to get the lasagna

Let's meet up!!
House of Pizza makes a great meatball parm! We get take out from them sometimes, nice people too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.