Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. been a member for a while but never posted to the forum. Been loading metallic since 1971 and shot shells since 1973. Always loaded on a
Rock Chucker but wanted to go progressive or semi progressive. Bought a Dillon RL450 recently. I know its the early version of the 550 but it seemed like a decent deal. Has the pushbutton powder measure but no prime feed so I will have to single load the primers. Going to use for 223 only. Those of you with Dillon
products are there any quirks I need to know about? I know I can upgrade to the 550 primer system but for now I will try out what I have. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
Not really any quirks that I can think of. It might take a little fidgeting to get it smooth, but once it starts going, it goes well. I bought a used 550 that had a worn primer bar return spring, and bent primer magazine tube tips, and it caused feeding issues. But a new spring and new tips fixed it right up.

Mainly, keep the pivot points lubed so the aluminum doesn't gall on the steel pins, don't overtighten the shellplate when you install it, and keep the priming system clean so it glides smoothly. But that mainly pertains to the 550, if you are deciding to keep the old primer system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.