New (to me) Fox | Carolina Shooters Club

New (to me) Fox

Discussion in 'Shotgun Forum' started by Headspace, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

DSC07799.JPG DSC07802.JPG I've always loved SxS shotguns. I once had a Fox Model B in 20 gauge, sold it about 10 years ago and have kicked myself every day since. I found a nice 12 gauge Stevens 311 a couple of months ago, needed some TLC, so I refinished the stock and did some gunsmithing to replace the firing pins and correct a misfiring right barrel. It was a great skeet gun, even with tight chokes, but it just wasn't the same as my old Fox. I mean, neither are what you would call high-dollar guns, but they are solid and reliable, and I always thought the Fox was a beautiful gun.

So, while wandering around the Hickory gun show Saturday, I saw a 12 gauge Fox Model B in a rack. It was very clean, locked up tight, but the seller wanted way too much for it. I talked him down $125 from the tag price, but it was still more cash that I wanted to lay out. I went home and got the Stevens; I was hoping either he'd make a trade, or I could sell it at the show and make back some of what I was going to spend for the Fox. I'd like to have kept both, but wanted the Fox really bad.

The seller offered me $125 MORE than what I paid for the Stevens, even with the parts I put on it, and he stuck with the deal we had made earlier, so I got out with a lot less cash out of my wallet. I had looked around, on Armslist, and GunBroker; only saw one Fox as nice as the one I bought, and I paid less for it than GB's price.

I did notice that the stock was not original, but it is a nice piece of walnut, although not a direct replacement for the Model B stock, and has no checkering. I've got a true Model B stock replacement on the way, and will have it checkered (or do it myself) like the original was. For now, it's good to shoot, I installed a LimbSaver recoil pad, and can't wait to see how it does. This one has 30" barrels (the 311 had 28"), and I believe I'll have it re-choked to improved cylinder, from the Mod/Full it now has.

2. lufbro

lufbro Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I love the old fox s×s shotguns.i have a couple 12 a 16 a 20 and 410

3. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

Look at the figure in the grain of that stock. Wow! Beautiful.

4. ArbowAxle

ArbowAxle Registered Member

Tiger Stripe.... really nice.

5. Headspace

I'm keeping my eyes open for more of these in different gauges. I'd like to build a complete set of Fox B's. The 16 ga. was discontinued in the early '70s, about 15 years before the rest of the line was ended. .410 doubles are hardest to come by and are the most valuable. The guy I bought this one from had a .410 double, wanted $1200 for it. That's a pretty good appreciation in value for an inexpensive model that cost around $300 when new in the '80s. How long did it take you to find all four sizes?

@ ArbowAxle and fieldgrade: Yeah, that stock is really a nice piece of walnut. I don't know what I'll do with it when I put the correct stock on; probably hang onto it in case I find another 311 (this stock is really a 311 Stevens, the Fox stock has differences in cut and shape). I haven't had it off the action to see who made it; I think it might be a Boyd's from the quality. I have two rifles with Boyd's stocks and they are primo pieces of wood and workmanship.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. lufbro

lufbro Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

i bought the 410 from Windy Hill in Elkin along with 12, i actually have another well used 12 that was my grandfathers gun, he past away in 1973

7. Stick

Stick Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Sweet! I would love one of those in either 20 or 16 gauge, but the price tags I have seen are scary. Good on you for the deal you made.

8. Headspace

DSC08116.JPG Well, I found a 20 gauge this week. The date code on the action indicates it was made in 1950. Considering the wear, I'd say that was pretty accurate. Everything is original, all the proof and assembly marks match. The receiver on this one is polished, instead of color case hardened like my 12 gauge, and it has the flying ducks engraving underneath instead of the fox head. 26" barrels, improved cylinder and modified chokes. I shot two rounds of skeet with it, it locks up tight and shoots great.

9. Headspace

Found a 16 gauge to add to the group. Date code says 1962. Stock and fore end match the 20 gauge and it has a vent rib like the 12 gauge. Barrels are 28" (the 12 is 30" and the 20 is 26") DSC08162.JPG

10. paragain

paragain Hall of Shame Club Subscribed

Love those SXS!