New Wake Country Sheriff Baker Delays Permitts | Carolina Shooters Club

New Wake Country Sheriff Baker Delays Permitts

Discussion in 'Firearms News and Firearms related political news' started by Barrett, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Barrett

Barrett Registered Member

I had to pickup 4 new pistol permits last month (my CCW expired, but that's another story). I say pickup because I'm still waiting.

It used to be in Wake Country you had to go in and sign a release document there at the Wake Country Courthouse. When you went in to sign they would just have you wait while they processed your permits right there and you could pick them up...NOT ANYMORE!!!

Upon signing the release document I was surprised to hear the young lady behind the counter say "we'll email or text you when they are read". I asked how long that would be...she said "10 days to 2 week". I asked the lady behind the desk why it was so quick before and she embarrassingly said "things are different now". That was 2 weeks ago!

I have NOTHING on my record and I've had a CCW and passed numerous background checks so it should just go right through.

SO BE AWARE...THE NEW LIBERAL WAKE COUNTRY SHERIFF BAKER IS HOLDING UP PERMITS!!!

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

3. Shortfuze

Shortfuze U. S. Military Club Subscribed

It has been this way for many years. This is nothing new. Harnett county would do them while you waited a while back but Wake county never has even under Harrisons watch.

4. Barrett

Barrett Registered Member

They did for me. My CCW expired (long story) so I was forced to buy pistol permits again. Wake required you go in to their office in person and sign a release form. Every time I did that they asked if I wanted to wait on my permits. It only took like 20 minutes and I picked them up right then, that day.

I just got the notification my permits were ready under Baker. It took almost 30 days. 45 is the max they can take I believe.

5. centerofbrown

centerofbrown Registered Member

Sorry to hear about delays in PPP. They should just get rid of this.
    Couldn't find when exactly the new sheriff started but I guess I just made the cut.

I applied for a CHP w/ an appointment of Jan 4.
    Got my card in the mail the week of the 25th w/ an expiration of 1/15.
    My CHP also expired and I had to reapply like you.

6. crashclint

crashclint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

My CHP was set to expire 03/19 so back in 11/18 I made an appointment and turned in the paperwork. When I received my CHP in less than 30 days I was happy. I was surprised to see Sheriff Browns signature stamp on it, I thought Donnie was Sheriff until the end of the year.

7. Evergreen

Evergreen Registered Member

Has there been any attempts at filing a lawsuit against the government of North Carolina for this unconstitutional pistol permit requirement? Your situation seems like a perfectly viable prototype for such a lawsuit. I can imagine you aren't the only guy who has been burned and forced to lose your right to purchase a firearm based on some bureaucratical red-tape and unconstitutional law (such as a pistol purchase permit). The 2nd Amendment states that owning a firearm is a right and having to purchase a permit to allow you to have such a right seems to be a pretty overt violation of the 2nd Amendment. I could only think if this law was challenged, first at the state level, then in a Federal court it could be stuck down much in the same way a Federal judge in California struck down California's unconstitutional magazine ban.

It's bad enough states require conceal handgun licenses to carry a gun (Constitutional Carry is what is emphasized in the 2nd Amendment). But now to require a permit to even buy a gun that requires government approval is like dumping salt on already open wounds.

weaver01 and KennyMac like this.