Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be old news but I saw these at Walmart for the first time today. They were out of all bulk 22 except some Remington 225 boxes and all CCI stuff except for shotshells and CBs. The 22 shelf was practically empty. They had some plastic 100rd boxes of Winchester Super X just like CCI uses though, first time I'd seen any so I bought a couple. I went for the hollowpoints, and an interesting thing I noticed is that they are heavier (37gr vs 36) and faster (1330fps vs 1260) than the CCI. I may try some out tomorrow and see how they do. The HPs were $6.97 and the 40gr solids were just over $7.

I thought I'd also share some side by side pics of the SuperX (on the left) vs Mini Mags (on the right). The Mini Mags still look higher quality.

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
These look like the same bullets that come in the Win 555 boxes with a tad bit of difference in bullet velocity.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-22LR-Hollow-Point-Rounds-555pk/16783170

I used these in my 10/22 as the first brick of 22lr to run through it. I didn't know at the time that hollow points don't feed too well in 22lr semi's (at least not mine). I'd get a jam at least every other mag...have to cycle the action a couple times, waste a round to get it fixed. No big deal while plinking, but a big problem in match shooting. I guess a good spinoff is that I've gotten really good at clearing the rifle one handed!

I've since moved up to Winchester's M-22 "tactical" 22lr. They sell in cases of two boxes for 1,000 rounds total. Usually about $45. WalMart usually only has one on the shelf at a time, but Bass Pro had 4 or 5 last week...well, minus one. I couldn't help myself. The stuff shoots darn near flawlessly in the 10/22. I've gone through 500+ rounds already and not one jam.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-22-Long-Rifle/17175595

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Dicks Sporting goods has 2,000 rds of the M22's in a dry box for $108. I haven't shot any yet,but picked one up.

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
Dicks Sporting goods has 2,000 rds of the M22's in a dry box for $108. I haven't shot any yet,but picked one up.
That's a really good deal. If it weren't for Christmas on the horizon...(you all have taken a look at a calendar recently, right??? Don't be like me and get sucker punched by the impending budget crunch!)

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm aware of the M22s, in fact I bought one of the 1000 packs a couple of weeks ago but have been saving them for rimfire matches. I just thought these were worth mentioning since I had never seen anyone but CCI use those plastic boxes so I figured Winchester was trying to compete directly with Mini Mags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.