Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
Just a heads up. an 04 is not an older model. Get into the 70's or later, now you have an older model car.

Pending on your skill level, in the state of nc, you can put what ever you want under the hood as long as all manufactorers installed emisson componets are there and appear to be working. One draw back in an 04 model is that the check engine light must work under self test and not have any codes stored in the ecm.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Pre 1995 and older cars are easy to retrofit, but like gtownwrench said what your are trying to do can be done but it would not be practical. Anything newer than that gets hooked to the stations computer to check and make sure everything is on the up and up. Now some engines are very similar year to year and can be used in many applications, say a 5.3liter chevy engine will fit many just about any other application that uses a 5.3 l over many years the only differences will be little things like oils pans or accessory brackets sensors ect.ect. Just curious what are you thinking of exactly? With more info we might be able to help.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You can go newer you just cant technically go older. For instance, I have a 92 camaro i have been wanting to put a different motor in. My first thought was a carbed 350 but since that would be older tech than what is in my car I can't do it. My only real option that would net me any real gains is an LS motor. Which if/when i get the funds will be going in it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gtown, before I forget again; I posted re some problems I was having with a lawn tractor. I found that I had failed to tighten the bolts on the carb evenly. Only one side of the gasket was compressed and air was apparently sneaking in. Runs much better.

I like this car, but I don't care much for a modular engine. I see Ford is not using this engine anymore.

I think I could handle the work. I grew up in the 50s and 60s. Back then nobody paid for any work they could do themselves. We done about everything to a car we had the tools for. About the only thing that really got my attention was a window when I tripped the spring that counter balanced the glass. No doubt in my mind that mechanism would probably amputate your hand.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I like this car, but I don't care much for a modular engine. I see Ford is not using this engine anymore.
I had a 1993 Town Car that had a 4.6L modular engine in it. It could blow any 5.0L pony car off the road any time it needed to. With just a bit of overmaintenance, it ran that strong until I sold it in 2003.

Matter of personal taste, I guess.

·
My Mom says I'm cool.
4,332 Posts
I was hoping this was really about modern engines in old cars.
I always thought that taking the drive train out of, say, a wrecked mustang and putting it in a 66 model would be cool. It would be a good mix of economy and power.

·
Banned
5,029 Posts
I was hoping this was really about modern engines in old cars.
I always thought that taking the drive train out of, say, a wrecked mustang and putting it in a 66 model would be cool. It would be a good mix of economy and power.
A lot of the big name hot rod builders are already doing this. The computer and wiring harness is where it becomes a PITA.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
I built a bored, stroked and blown mod motor before they ever offered striker kits or many aftermarket items. It made great horsepower, 500 at the wheels and it could get 20 mpg...on a relatively conservative tune.

That being said, mod motors are expensive. No matter how much power you make, you could have made 100 more horses or more for the same money with a pushrods motor. I'll never, ever build another one lol. But that same motor is still running on the third owner. It is a super strong short block.

To the best of my knowledge, ford is still using the mod motor. That's still what they're running in mustangs and F150's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Gtown, before I forget again; I posted re some problems I was having with a lawn tractor. I found that I had failed to tighten the bolts on the carb evenly. Only one side of the gasket was compressed and air was apparently sneaking in. Runs much better.

I think I could handle the work. I grew up in the 50s and 60s. Back then nobody paid for any work they could do themselves. We done about everything to a car we had the tools for. About the only thing that really got my attention was a window when I tripped the spring that counter balanced the glass. No doubt in my mind that mechanism would probably amputate your hand.
Unless your are well versed in modern fuel injection and ignition systems as well as computer diagnostics and electrical work I would not attempt this on your own without help from someone who is.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I saw the title and thought, okay who wants to put a 350 in a Fiero.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking truck when I said the mod motors were no longer used. I don't think think they are available in the truck line in the new models.

I was thinking a little more power and gas milage. Not interested in a really high performance set up. A smooth ride with a little power.

Fuel systems. I've maintained and installed a fair number of pumps. Centrifugal, diaphragm, positive displacement, rotary vane, liquid ring, screw. pressure regulators or pressure reducing valves for liquid, steam, fuel gas and other various gases.

I'm getting tired of typing and beginning to sound like a know it all. Electronics will surely be a problem for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.