Newest Rimfire Toy | Carolina Shooters Club

Newest Rimfire Toy

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by LKGRenegade22, Aug 24, 2013.

1. LKGRenegade22

LKGRenegade22 Not Subscribed

Well I had recently traded away a custom 10/22 I had and was planning or building a new one. I had picked out all the parts I wanted and was looking for a receiver to build off on but really had no luck. I took a trip around the Triangle looking for one and ended up ditching my idea of another 10/22 and picking up this beauty. After finally getting a chance to shoot it today I am beyond pleased! It shot a ragged hole at 25 yards with bulk federal rounds. The only issue I had was removing the factory scope base screws....while they didn't have loctite they were cheap screws and were in extremely tight and I stripped 2 of the heads when trying to remove them to install my EGW base.

It was pretty pricey for a .22 but the trigger is excellent and I really like the barrel and stock. Threw on a Nikon rimfire and it is a tack driver. I am very very pleased.

[​IMG]

2. pirate

pirate Ad Victoriam Club Subscribed

Is it a Savage MkII TR? You don't tell us in the post.

3. LKGRenegade22

Yep, you got it.

4. SHOWTIME100

SHOWTIME100 Registered Member

I just got a FV-SR and I love it. At 25 yards i'm covering up a 3 shot group with a dime using CCI standard 40gr velocity. But it also like most subsonic rounds

5. LKGRenegade22

Well I finally shot it today at 50 yards and even with a 12-14 intermittent crosswind it was very accurate. I did use CCI mini mag 36gr HP today. The picture below is a 5 shot group. The only issue I had was I bought some factory 10 round magazines and every time on the last round it stovepipes from the spring not being strong enough and ruins the bullet. Kind of aggravating for a $20 factory mag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. FishHunt

FishHunt Member

After you run 500-1000 rounds through it try some match grade ammo. I am constantly surprised at how good mine shoots. It is a great value for the price.

<>< Fish

7. Lager

Lager Registered Member

I was haveing trouble with my mags also, not feeding them in correctly. So, Now I use it as a single shot rifle. I leave the mag in and feed the next shot in with my fingers. Close the bolt and no marked bullet heads to alter the heads. Takes less then a second for me flick a new one in.
    Im getting my best shot groups from the Wolf match target and the match extra. The more expensive Eley Black didnt work for me.
    I can consistently put 22-24 bullets thru a 1/2 inch hole, then I will have the rest of the shots zing out just a little on a 25 target shot card @ 50 yards.Just enough to put me into the 9 ring.Its not the Gun, its me, or the ammo.

8. LKGRenegade22

I found a fix for the mags off Rimfire central and fixed the 10 round mags I have. It was pretty simple and only took a few minutes with a file and some cutting pliers.

I've read in quite a few places that the wolf match performs very well out of these guns. I think I'm going to order some.

9. Lager

Lager Registered Member

Try this, just to check your rounds are not being marred or deformed. Cycle a round thru with out shooting, then check the bullet head. Any skids marks will effect bullet path.Was just something I noticed when I used even my 5 rounder that feeds well. Some of the shots would go off on their own. Im thinking it was the feed marks made by using the magazine.
    The Wolf might be hard to find, another good ammo is the Lapua Rifle. Its made at the same factory as the Wolf and is identical. Its just boxed with a different label.
    Get ready for sticker shock, the last 500 round box of Wolf cost me $135

10. SlayerNut

SlayerNut Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Very nice set up!

I do have a question about the mag issue you were having. Could it be model specific, meaning that particular Mark II? I ask because I just bought a Mark II G (basic wood stock model) brand new Friday and bought an extra 10 rd mag for it. I shot 80 rds through it with no problems at all with the mags, ammo I shot was Fed. 550 bulk pack, Fed. Champion blue box and some Remington Golden bullets.

11. LKGRenegade22

This gun has been very accurate so I have not questioned the rounds being marred or deformed. The only ones that were messed up were the last rounds coming out of the 10 round mags because they did not feed properly. I have since fixed that and all the rounds chamber like they are supposed too.

I do not think (however I am not 100% sure) that the issue with the mags is specific to just the Markii TR. From what I gathered it is a problem with the orientation of the follower on the 10 round mag. With some minor tweaking it is easily fixable. I will post the link below here so you can go look at the pictures and see what I am talking about. I do not think all the 10 round mags have this problem.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281308

I found some Wolf match last night got $90 for a box of 500 but didnt order them...maybe I should have! I do have some FGMM 22 I am going to try. This gun has loved everything I have fed it so far.

However I just picked up a new Savage model 64 TR SRR this past weekend and it hates the federal bulk. I am going to try some different ammo in that one later this week but it just amazes me how the Markii TR can shot a ragged hole at 25 with federal bulk and the 64 shoots a consistent 2" group. I did some research and it does seem the model 64's perform their worst with the Federal bulk boxes.

12. SlayerNut

SlayerNut Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Good to know, thanks for the link. I'll check it out in case I run into some problems with my mags.