Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I hope it goes thru. But then again, minor league hockey is really fun to watch and pretty affordable.

Last time the NHL went thru this crap, I got season tickets for the Providence Bruins and loved it. Much more family friendly and you could not beat the prices.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
We shall see!!!!!!! Crossing fingers!

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
I saw that earlier today. Keeping my fingers crossed, though I am kinda losing the fire for hockey lately.

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
Upper level minor league hockey is awesome to watch. I can't stand low level leagues though, too much goonery.

does anybody on the forum play? I tore my ACL a couple years ago and haven't had the skates on since. Been thinking about getting back to it to get some exercise in.

·
Dead and Remembering
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really hope it goes through, I go something something with out the NHL. I know I still have the Checkers, but the NHL is my favorite. I watch hockey from 7pm till sleep from the start of the season the final of the Stanley Cup.

·
Dead and Remembering
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upper level minor league hockey is awesome to watch. I can't stand low level leagues though, too much goonery.

does anybody on the forum play? I tore my ACL a couple years ago and haven't had the skates on since. Been thinking about getting back to it to get some exercise in.
I have been thinking about taking up playing for exercise. Need to learn a few things though, the only prob the closest rink is almost 2 hours away.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I hope it does too my wings are coming to town if it does!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
I have been thinking about taking up playing for exercise. Need to learn a few things though, the only prob the closest rink is almost 2 hours away.
You've got a very nice rink in south Charlotte and another over near Greer, SC. Both places have strong beginner adult leagues. If you wanted to try it out, I'd take you to an open skate and teach you a few things.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
If it goes through, Ill get the Yahoo fantasy league up and running again.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Played for many many years. I was a goalie, so have the knees to go with it.

My playing days are over due to my bad knees but still love the game.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Wings are in trouble this year...no Lidstrom, didn't land any of the free agents....
Time will tell. I think they are going to struggle a bit to start, but, I think that once they get adjusted to Lidstrom not being there, they will get it together. Losing Stuart didn't help but they did pick up Coliachovo (not sure on the spelling) to help the D. Ericcson has got to step it up as well.

I may have to make the trek to Ralieghwood to see them if the season actually happens.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I play in the Greensboro mens league. I played for one of the Maple Leafs Junior teams in Canada when I was 17 thru 19, then had my sholder dislocated in 3 places from one hit. That ended my hard hockey playing. So the non-check leagues are good for me.

·
Premium Member
5,827 Posts
You've got a very nice rink in south Charlotte and another over near Greer, SC. Both places have strong beginner adult leagues. If you wanted to try it out, I'd take you to an open skate and teach you a few things.
Yep, the south Charlotte rink is actually in Pineville.
There is also one in Indian Trail. Extreme Ice Center.
That's where the Checkers have played some of their playoff games when there have been other events happening uptown at the arena.

·
Dead and Remembering
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NHL and NHLPA to meet tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
NHL is on thin ice (oooo), just like IndyCar.
the players aren't worth it.
the owners don't get it.
the fans won't see it.

bottom line: TV rules.

the NHL is treated like IndyCar:
TV wants the Indy 500 (NHL playoffs) but nothing else.
there are lots of niche competitions broadcast the same way.
horse racing / track&field / dog shows / spelling bee / etc.

so...if the owners aren't getting big TV $,
the players can't get big $ contracts.
i just don't see how any of this can be
resolved in time to save the season.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.