Noob Looking For Scale -- Safety w/o Bancruptcy | Carolina Shooters Club

Noob Looking For Scale -- Safety w/o Bancruptcy

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by maustypsu, Jan 7, 2013.

1. maustypsu

maustypsu Registered Member

I am purchasing the last few things I need to get started. I've put off the purchase of a scale b/c it's been a frustrating search.

Reading Amazon review on the $30-50 digital scales sounds like it is hit or miss. I know anyone can post any review and if there are a million scales by any manufacturer you will find one that doesn't work. But this is life and limb we are talking about.

I've seen plenty of good and bad reviews on the manual as well. Those seem to get feedback along the lines of difficulty to set up or get zeroed vs. 'holding' a zero.

I hope this doesn't turn into a 9mm vs .45 type divisive question... is one or the other inheritenly better, safer, easier, more accurate? Is there a scale that is like the "Glock 19" of scales - might not be pretty but will get the job done and millions are using it?

2. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Reloading guys are as bad as 9mm vs .40 vs .45 guys ;)

I recently picked up an RCBS 505 and it works well... I also have a Hornady digital and it actually checks in well with the beam scale. The lee scales are inexpensive and as long as you have a weight to check them against you're golden. It's not pretty but it works. Again, having a known weight to measure against is pretty crucial to knowing whatever you have is accurate.

3. NCDave

NCDave Registered Member

I have a Hornady GS-1500 which is a nice scale for the price. I do have one issue with it now and then: When I dump the powder and replace the tray, it goes back to zero, then in the time until I have the next powder to measure, it sometimes jumps up to 0.2gr (never jumps 0.1gr). I re-tare it and it does fine, until it does it again. I've not seen any issues with it jumping 0.2gr while the powder is being weighed. Comes with a 100g cal weight. Also have the Lee scale which I don't use except once in a while to double-check the Hornady.

4. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Dave: Mine does the same thing.... i really kinda doubted it a while until I checked on the new RCBS and it's apparently right in line. Just have to make sure I calibrate it when I use it.

5. NeuseRvrRat

NeuseRvrRat Member

RCBS 5-0-5

a good digital scale that i'd trust is pretty expensive. i have an RCBS Chargemaster 1500, but the 5-0-5 still has a spot on my bench. check weights are good to have too.

6. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Regardless of what brand of scale you have it needs to have the calibration checked before each use. The check weights need to be kept clean and lightly oiled to help the process. You should know what your pan weighs as it acts as another "check" before tareing the scale with the pan on the transducer.

7. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have the Frankfort Aresnal digital that ran about $25. It works just fine and comes with the check weight.
    As long as the batteries are good, it's accurate

8. MarkG

MarkG Registered Member

The 5-0-5 or similar. I am not 100% sure, but I believe they are either an OHAUS design or rebranded OHAUS. It is fine for the low volume things I do. Just keep it at eye level and out of drafts. I also put a bumper in the knife area when I'M not using it. Not sure it is needed, but I do it. I have not gotten a digital scale.

9. Pumpkinslinger

Pumpkinslinger Not Subscribed

I've used a PACT for many years with no complaints.

10. Bailey Boat

Pact = RCBS......

11. NeuseRvrRat

NeuseRvrRat Member

that was true for the old RCBS Powder Master, but i'm not sure if the RCBS Chargemaster is made by PACT

i don't believe it is because PACT claims that all of its products are made in the US, but the Chargemaster is made in China iirc.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  12. 9mmbullets

9mmbullets Registered Member

I've got the lee that came with my first press kit, and a frankford arsenal digital. The digital is quick, but I triple check everything because it is new to me. It does loose its zero quite a bit, but i notice it instantly because when the pan isn't on it, it goes to -120 some grains, if you memorize that # its easy to recognize when zero is off. I have checked it against my lee several times and its dead on, even with really small drops. The lee is good and I've loaded quite a few rounds with it, but its time consuming.

13. tsconver

tsconver Sponsor Club Subscribed

Just my thoughts. First i am assuming you will work up your own load. If you are using someone elses recipe you are asking for trouble.

As long as your balance is always off by the same amount it does not really matter. What i mean is if you weigh out 4.5 grains and it is really 4.7 grains who cares as long as it weighs the same today as it does tomorrow as it does next month. Why does it not matter? If you reload the way you should. You start at the minimum and prepare loads at that weight and then work your way up to max. Then you go shoot and check speed, accuracy and pressure signs. That tells you your best load for your firearm. That is why it does not matter if the accuracy of your balance is not perfect. The reproducibility is what matters as knce you find your load from your balance you are set so who cares if it is off a few tenths of grain from the real value. The only real stipulation is your balance accuracy does have to be better than the spread of min and max load data or you could load above max and not know it.

So as long as your balance is within a few tenths of grain and is reproducinle fron day to day and you work uo your own loads starting at a minimum load you will he fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  14. Bailey Boat

I'm afraid I'm going to call BS on this..... An inaccurate scale could get your ass killed!!!! If your scale won't balance to the check weights every time, time after time, then you need to get a better scale. If it doesn't hold zero as it's being used, then you need to get a better scale. People that buy a damned 20.00 scale have gotten EXACTLY what you paid for, a cheap POS that will probably wind up getting you hurt and destroying your equipment.

15. MoneyShot1972

MoneyShot1972 Not Subscribed

RCBS 750. 125 bucks. Hyatts in Charlotte

16. tilefish

tilefish Dog Defender Club Subscribed

Sorry to revive this thread but I am researching scale and came across this.

Bailey,

What he said makes sense. Take the price out of the equation at look at it rationally, if a scale is off by .2 gr every single time, its a non-issue. Think about the speedometer in your car, it is most likely off by 3 or 4 mph +/- but it it is ALWAYS off by the same 3 or 4 mph. This does not mean you do not know how fast you are going at any given moment, it means you compensate accordingly.

17. Motion

Motion Guest

some people have Snap-On torque wrenches .... some have Craftsman .....some have Harbor Freight.

I keep the snap on in the toolbox and very seldom use it
    Craftsman works great and use it some....
    HF is used the most .... b/c i don't care what happens to it..... and it pisses my son off b/c he likes the snap on.

All 3 work .... But, a true Snap-on guy would rather be caught dead than to have a HF wrench in their box. Most HF guys laugh at the Snap-on guys.

Road goes on forever and the party never ends.

I reload with a Lee balance beam.....POS works every day all day.

18. 1911gobang

1911gobang Sponsor

I have a $40 hornady digi scale and an RCBS beamer for backup....
    Perfectly happy with both.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

19. dwhite

dwhite Registered Member

Got one of these (5-0-5) I bought ~1980. Still accurate. Only scale I've ever
    had for reloading. Have never had to replace the batteries.

Buy a cheap digital or a 5-0-5. Over time the cost of batteries
    alone will eat up the difference in price. Nothing like sitting down
    to load some ammo and finding your batteries dead with
    none in the house.

All the Best,
    D. White

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013