Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, it's real. Rifle ammo (especially reasonably priced 5.56/223 and 7.62x51/.308) is getting very, very hard (impossible) to find at the distributor level, ARs are disappearing rapidly, and high capacity AR mags are being allocated. When we're out, I'm afraid we're out for awhile. It's an uphill battle to find stuff, to say the least. And it only took 12 hours for Obama to get the Arms Treaty back on the UN docket in March. If the language in that discussion is unfavorable to the Second Amendment, which it most certainly will be, Obama won't have to issue an executive order to control ammo and guns. Perhaps the Senate will prevent any UN bullshit from taking effect, if indeed it does pass the UN. I don't know, but I don't have a good feeling about any of this.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
It's da boogeyman...........runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Says a dealer... I'm not buying into the hype...

no offense, but prices are level around Raleigh, shelves are as stocked as they have been, and I haven't had any issues finding anything I need in stock online if I look around. SOP... for now at least...

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Idk. A dealer saying its hard to get on the distributor end sounds legit. I've talked to a few other dealers and they are saying the same thing.

He's not running a "buy it now" sale in conjunction with this so I'd take him at his word.

Now I don't know what the reason is. Most likely fear buying is drying up the supply. I've heard the same issue is happening with AR's. manufacturers are a couple months out on filling existing orders from dealers.

·
Green Iron Addict
1,441 Posts
I just did a huge order (been meaning to for a while). I didn't notice prices above normal. And stock was available. I would expect there to be some buying, but I imagine the price changes are by retailers who know that people will pay more for it directly in hand.

·
Premium Member
11,811 Posts
Brent has always treated the folks here fairly, and he has had some great ammo sales/ deals here before when nobody else was interested in beating Wal Mart pricing, so I'd be inclined to cut him some slack.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Do what you want with the information, folks. He's just giving you a bit of "insider information" that there is (or is going to be) a lengthy shortage of some things.

Why *wouldn't* there be a shortage, given what we saw last time? My own Wal-Marts (I pass by 3 regularly) are all out of 223 ammo except an occasional few boxes of TulAmmo.

·
3,580 Posts
I'm seeing the same thing with empty shelves, and gun stores changing policies on layaway, and limiting ammo sales.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bikemancs - Huge order of what? For resale or for your own stock? Big Felipe, you're indeed blessed to have such an ample supply of almost everything.

Just one example for all of you who think I'm profiteering: 18 months ago, before I started my shop, I started rat-holing ammo for my personal use. I paid less than $6 per 20 round box for M855 Lake City, and could get all I wanted. Yesterday, I got an email from Palmetto State offering M855 at a price that came out to $9.05 per box (420 rounds in 20 round boxes in ammo can) The email was entitled "Save on 5.56 Ammo". Natchez has the same stuff for $10 a can more. Their bulk is cheaper. Other examples abound.

Thanks to those of you who are speaking up for us. We really try to be fair, and my only intent was to tell you what I've been encountering. Just a remake of the story of the ant and the grasshopper.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
The same thing happened 4 years ago. After a few months, the panic buyers will stop stocking up and then shoot up their supply.

I'm just hoping I can beat the panic buyers to the gun show. 44 mag components are hard to come by and one panic buyer can clean a dealer out. If I cant, I've got enough to last me a few months, but I like to replace it as I shoot it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only difference between this year and 4 years ago is that we started seeing shortages of 5.56 in February or March, after Homeland Security bought up 175 million rounds of .40 S&W HP and 350 million rounds of .223. That tied up production at our major manufacturers. We thought that situation would ease up along about July. But it really didn't. So now, in addition to the election nonsense, we're playing catch up on production.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
I believe you. I had a conversation today with a friend that manages inventory for a pawn shop chain. He said exactly what you did, but included 22LR in the "I can't find it anywhere" conversation. He knows I buy my ammo elsewhere so I believe him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
These guys are legit, I can vouch for the fact they are not gougers or opportunists. Just go check em out, theyll treat you right, fo sho!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts