Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting off buying my first AR. Guess after yesterday that may not be a smart move. I need a recommendation for a rifle and a place to buy it. I do not need anything fancy, do not plan on hanging all types of tacticool on it, only thing will be a scope as my eyes are #%@#. I also do not plan on putting thousands of rounds down the barrel.

All this being said what are your thoughts?

·
Vendor
5,801 Posts
why are you buying it, hunting, target, 3 gun, SHTF? If simply because Obama won,I do not think that is a valid reason to spend $1000 as our gun rights are not going to dissappear before the end of the year.

That will help a lot to direct you to the best rifle for value. Budget would also be useful to know.

You can rarely go wrong if you get a quality milspec rifle, Daniel Defense, COlt, Larue, Noveske, Knights are all top notch and honestly do not cost that much more than the middle tier stuff like Stag, Spikes, Bushmaster, and the like.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
I know half a dozen people with PSA rifles that have had ZERO trouble with them. There's also a handful of people here that will tell you if you have to ship anything from PSA, it'll take forever to arrive.

The basic BCM M4 with no rear sight can be gotten for around $1000. These are high quality rifles.

Stag Arms rifles have increased in price (but not quality) so for the same price or a few dollars more, like tsconver said, I'd go with BCM over Stag just on a price for quality standpoint. I have a Stag lower, but got the complete rifle 5 years ago for around $600. I wouldn't pay $950 now for the same rifle.

I would check out Del Ton: http://www.del-ton.com/carbine_rifles_s/2.htm
They are a solid brand. Worth your time to look at.

CMMG is also a good quality.

I would go to cheaper than dirt and narrow down the search options to .223/5.56mm rifles. Look through the pages at the various brands and prices.

·
Vendor
5,801 Posts
I know half a dozen people with PSA rifles that have had ZERO trouble with them. There's also a handful of people here that will tell you if you have to ship anything from PSA, it'll take forever to arrive.

The basic BCM M4 with no rear sight can be gotten for around $1000. These are high quality rifles.

Stag Arms rifles have increased in price (but not quality) so for the same price or a few dollars more, like tsconver said, I'd go with BCM over Stag just on a price for quality standpoint.

I would check out Del Ton: http://www.del-ton.com/carbine_rifles_s/2.htm
They are a solid brand. Worth your time to look at.

CMMG is also a good quality.

I would go to cheaper than dirt and narrow down the search options to .223/5.56mm rifles. Look through the pages at the various brands and prices.
Also good choices for a mid range rifle and possibly for intended use,but againwe really need to know why as that will dictate what I recommend.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I picked up my first AR today, but I've been planning to do it for some time. It just so happened that a buddy wanted to head to our LGS for giggles today and they had the exact rifle I've been looking at/researching for the last 6 or so months. My budget wasn't super high end (HK416 an the like), but I was willing to spend a little more for one that already had some of the furniture I was looking for and that I would not have to piece together. The fact that I was able to support my LGS and an NC manufacturer at the same time was an added bonus. Needless to say, the ONE Barnes Precision CQB Patrolman's Carbine MOE that my LGS had came home with me today...can't wait to give it a good cleaning and get out to the range ASAP.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I thought I added more info about the why, but it must not have posted. I am really just looking for a fun rifle to shoot before they go way up in price. No hardcore survival gun, no swim through a swamp and come up shooting and no 10,000 rounds down the barrel.

I will check out the stuff above.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You can't go wrong with Barnes Precision Machine.
Glad to hear it! I've heard and read a lot of good things, so the last part was just getting a hold of one. Can't wait to shoot it. I have a few accessories on the way, and will hopefully get to the range ASAP. I've been researching optics, etc., but will probably shoot the irons for a while first.

OP, didn't mean to hijack your post. Good luck with your search. There are a lot of options out there...almost overwhelming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.