Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to run into Food Lion after work and I was semi-open carrying. I do no not often open carry but I was dressed respectably in khakis, collared shirt and shoes with my K9 in a IWB holster, not covered by my shirt. Anyway, as I was walking out the armed security guard said: "1911?" as I was walking by. He was being friendly so I felt obliged to talk to him (and correct him on firearm identification lol) for a moment although it was a bit awkward as he seemed to draw attention to me/us by asking what I was carrying.
I had a similar experience the last time I open carried, someone noticed and made a comment. In both cases I found it somewhat odd as I do not think I would just randomly make a comment unless the situation was more casual. I will say that in both instances I was polite and friendly as I feel a responsibility to represent gun owners in a positive light. My question is this: Do you folks who open carry often get comments when people notice, or is it just me? I don't really mind considering that both instances were friendly but I was wondering what others think.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
I don't open carry, but if I did, I'd be happy to talk to someone who expresses an interest. And if I saw someone open carrying, I'd probably start a conversation with them, provided they looked friendly and not in a rush.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
On the rare occasions that I do OC (in CLT too) no one has said a word about it - they seem not to notice at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I open carry here in Boone, NC once in a while. I get a lot of comments, but they're always friendly and from gun enthusiasts. A few second glances and strange stares, but they never say anything. I've open carried at restaurants, public streets, grocery stores, walmart, etc.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I open carry sometimes, usually with no comment at all, however, last time I did, this fairly cute girl walked into Food Lion behind me and says "nice package". Stopped me in my tracks. Glad the wife wasn't with me for that one. And WTF to an armed security guard at Food Lion! I've never seen one of those.

·
Scofflaw Cyclist
2,765 Posts
I open carry most of the time when I'm in the Raleigh area. The only negative experience I had was being asked to leave the Foymart near Zebulon. I don't think I've ever had a conversation about it other than that when in NC.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Open carry? Not intentionally. Open carry usually requires a good retention holster. To open carry otherwise *seems to me* like wearing your wallet out on a chain not in a pocket - easy to grab on the run. I also am not a fan of the attention. So I guess I just don't see a big upside to open carry.

·
Scofflaw Cyclist
2,765 Posts
In my experience it doesn't draw any extra attention to you. No more than say, wearing a hawaiian shirt. If you act like it's no big deal, the majority of others will treat it the same. I've had perhaps half a dozen spontaneous conversations in three years of open carrying.

You should try it some time, just for the experience. Tractor Supply is a nice place to go for a trial run.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i have been open carrying for about a month. i have had a few comments. some ask if its fake ROFL and i have had one ask if i was an undercover officer. i got a kick out of that one (you would have to meet me to understand) but most people just leave me alone

·
Banned
3,959 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
I only open carry when on the way to shooting events where I wear a paddle style holster. Too much of a pain in the butt to switch holsters since I use a IWB king tuk style. Not sure if anyone even noticed.

Other than that I don't OC mainly because I am usually out and about with my family and don't want to draw attention to myself, and though I am not ashamed of my rights, I would prefer to avoid any debates when I have my wife sighing at me and my kids tugging at me.

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
I was o/c one day and pulled up on my scooter to a red box on my scooter, just as someone was leaving. I was checking out the movies and saw a guy get out of his tinted glass truck and just stand there. I realized he had probably been sitting there waiting on the last person to finish, so I asked "Hey, did I cut in front of you?" He said "yeah, you did, but I wasn't about to say anything with that gun there."

I said "OH MAN! I am TERRIBLY sorry! That was so rude, and would have been very very punkass to do so just b/c I have a weapon. I really really am sorry. You go ahead." He was "no, no go ahead" and I said "look. I feel REALLY bad about that, mostly because gun owners are NOT arrogant jerks like that. I have to get a card for my wife, so I am going to just leave and get that. Please come get your movie. Will you forgive me for cutting in front? I really did not see you." He said it was ok, and not to worry about it. Only "bad" event I ever had.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I open carry sometimes, usually with no comment at all, however, last time I did, this fairly cute girl walked into Food Lion behind me and says "nice package". Stopped me in my tracks. Glad the wife wasn't with me for that one. And WTF to an armed security guard at Food Lion! I've never seen one of those.
Ha! I often wonder the same thing.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Must be on the bad side of town.

I am actually an organizer for NC Open Carry group. If anyone is interested in going in a group for the first time or just hanging out with similar group let me know.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Id love to OC, but being a teacher I can only imagine how many phone calls my principal would get on Monday morning.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.