Out of State Conceal Carry Permit As New North Carolina Resident? Three References? | Carolina Shooters Club

Out of State Conceal Carry Permit As New North Carolina Resident? Three References?

Discussion in 'NC Concealed Carry' started by Evergreen, May 30, 2018.

1. Evergreen

Evergreen Registered Member

I am looking at moving to North Carolina in July and I had a question in regards to the laws of concealed handgun permits in North Carolina. I definitely will be getting a North Carolina CHL after I move, but I am hearing it may be a timely process and requires classes and training courses. However, when I move to North Carolina I will have a Washington and Idaho Standard concealed handgun license. I understand North Carolina recognizes these permits for non-residents, but my question is once I move to North Carolina will these out of state permits no longer be recognized? Some states like Nevada require not to conceal carry your gun for sometimes several months as they only recognize the state permit for residents and it can take months before they issue you your permit. I was wondering how North Carolina is in this regard? Will I be able to still conceal carry my handgun in North Carolina after I move with my Washington/Idaho permit while I wait to get my North Carolina permit ? Or, will I have to relinquish those rights until I obtain the NC permit, since I am now a resident? How long does it generally take to receive your permit once you have qualified through all the training courses?

Another problem I hear about getting a North Carolina conceal carry permit is they require three references from in-state. Sadly, I am totally new to North Carolina and only have one friend in the state. How would I go about acquiring these three references? Do the references really have to be within North Carolina? I will say I am not so happy about that one issue with NC CHL process, but I will do whatever I can do. Worst case scenario, it may take me a while to know enough people I feel comfortable with divulging the fact I am applying for a CHL and maybe can get by with my out of state permits.

I've tried looking through the various NC government websites , but the only thing they mention is reciprocity and nothing about if reciprocal out of state permits are valid for NC residents.

Thanks for the information people can give me.

2. Sevenshot

Sevenshot Registered Member

You can knock the class out on a Sat and my county was quick to process the app. The references will be tough since you don't know anybody but definitely visit the local range, join a gun club, etc.

Best reference http://www.ncdoj.gov/About-DOJ/Law-...ment-Liason/Concealed-Weapon-Reciprocity.aspx

Usacarry.com is a great reference for quick answers.

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one so this info is worth what you paid for it. Definitely contact your county sheriff with questions. However, I know NC honors almost every state's permit. Out of state resident permits of other states isn't as clear cut so not sure about your Idaho. I know in NC you need a matching DL for your permit to be valid. If your permits are valid when you move to NC and it's on the list, then NC honors them.

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  3. Jeppo

Jeppo Member

As far as I know, your non-resident permit will be INVALID once you become an NC resident.

4. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

5. Jeppo

Jeppo Member

About the "how long", forums are filled with questions, answers and complaints on this issue. It seems to depend on the county and its Sheriff. Some seem to let you walk right in, apply and get printed. Others require an appointment just to begin the process. I've heard stories of people waiting months just to get started. Once you apply, there is the time necessary for the background check. Seems to me the background check can take 30 to 90 days.

Once you decide on the County, you might ask the forum for recent experiences there. Consider that we've recently had elections in NC so some Sheriffs will be replaced; meaning history may or may not be meaningful.

First step is take the course and get the relevant certificate. As stated before, if you find the right instructor, you can knock it out in a weekend day. Most of it is "classroom" followed by live fire at 3, 5 and 7 yards. Almost nobody fails and I'd reconsider gun ownership if I couldn't qualify on the range. ;)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  6. ZHR

ZHR Registered Member

While youre a non-resident your CCP from WA will be valid.
    take the course while youre still a non-resident.
    the day you become a resident complete the application for NC CHP.
    you can open carry in the mean time until the application is approved.
    depending on where youre moving to will determine how long it will take.

outside mecklenberg, wake, Buncombe it should be pretty fast, inside expect 90days
    character references are not part of the application

7. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

The only other thing I'll ad is: you must be a resident of the state of NC for 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.

You can certainly take the class and get that done before being here 30 days.

8. Evergreen

I appreciate everyone giving me the information. I'm happy to know that they have done away with the three NC resident reference requirement. That will be one less headache I will have to deal with. It was bit confusing, but now I think I understand. I guess I will have to forfeit my 2nd Amendment rights for 4-5 months after relocating while I wait for my conceal carry permit. According to the person at the Mecklenburg County Sheriff that I spoke to, once you obtain a NC driver license your reciprocal out of state permits are no longer valid. That is a bizarre rule for a state that takes so long to process permits and I am not so happy about it; but, oh well, that is how it goes. They told me I can open carry, but I have known too many people who have had police officers pull guns on them to feel comfortable doing that, even though they were following all the laws. A guy I knew a while back in Washington had an undercover police officer pull a gun on him one time when he was open carrying. He actually became famous as he sued the Bellingham, WA police department over the ordeal and they settled with him out of court. I also just hate the attention that open carrying brings. I probably will end up living in Mecklenburg county, but may live in one of the adjoining counties, as I will be relocating to the Charlotte area.

I also was told I cannot even take the concealed handgun course until I have a North Carolina license. That also seemed so strange to me. What difference does it make if I am a resident or not? Maybe, there is some type of registration with the state of North Carolina with these courses? That is confusing, because most other states say you can take the course even if you do not live there and the certificate is good for quite some time.

I'm glad to hear the course only requires you to qualify up to 9 yards (that is what the guy told me at the gun range that gives courses). Some states I was told you may have to qualify to 15-20 yards. I've not been shooting in over a year and have been rusty. I'm trying to get back into shooting and juggling 70+ hour work week. It sucks, but I have not done any real serious shooting in years. However, the course doesn't sound to be too challenging, just takes a bit of time. They told me it is 8 hours.

However, whatever I need to do I will do. I guess I will just avoid going out at night in the city for the first 4-5 months I am there until I receive my permit. I haven't traveled unarmed in years except when I made a trip to Canada, so it will be an adjustment for the first four to five months being unarmed in unfamiliar territory.

It seems once I get the North Carolina permit, life will be pretty good and I respect North Carolina's gun laws for CHL holders.

9. Evergreen

I just called up another firearm training facility that does the CHL courses and it appears the guy at the other training facility was wrong. She told me you can take the CHL course even if you don't live in North Carolina. I'm glad to hear that as well.

Sevenshot likes this.
  10. ZHR

ZHR Registered Member

Yes you can take the course not being a resident and it’s only 7 yards.

Get an appointment the day to get a nc license cause it’ll probably be awhile before you get a finger print appointment.

Also I’m sorry you’re moving to mecklenburg.
    Keep a gun in the car open carry and if you’re not going to carry the lock it away when you leave.

11. FINO

FINO Registered Member

I case you missed the other post. OPEN carry in legal in N.C. for law abiding without needing a permission slip.

12. Evergreen

Hi Fino.. If I open carried living around Charlotte what are my chances of having the police give me trouble for doing so? As I said, open carry is perfectly legal in Washington state (well, for now), yet I have had a few people I known have the police pull guns on them, threaten them and even a couple people I know were arrested. Of course, the charges were later dropped and they were released, but what if one little thing went wrong and they ended up being killed?

I really feel uncomfortable open carrying in an urban area and usually only do so when hiking in the mountains.

13. FINO

FINO Registered Member

my experiences with the police in Charlotte are very limited,but positive. The criminal element in Charlotte would be more of a worry to me. I f I spent much time there I would ask the police directly, how they feel about open carry in the city, so as to get a feel for how the badges think for myself.

14. Evergreen

Looks like I am priced out of Charlotte. Been struggling to find a place between $1200 to $1500/mo and my time is running out, because I am paying for an Air Bnb.. I think I am throwing the towel in on Charlotte. I'm thinking I will look at moving to Knoxville, TN or Winston-Salem, NC instead. I'm assuming Raleigh will be like Charlotte with the prices.

I got a lot of stuff I will be moving including some heavy objects, so I cannot move into a small apartment, which seems to be the only thing available in my price range in Charlotte. I didn't realize Charlotte is becoming more expensive than even Portland, Oregon. I'm really sad, because I actually really like the area and was pretty impressed by the city. IT is so clean, a lot to do and people are friendly.

I'm currently going to decide if I will pack up my stuff and head to Knoxville or Winston-Salem in the next few days. I am paid up to the 15th at my Air Bnb, but may leave early.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  15. swardrn

swardrn Registered Member

Man check out Lexington NC you can get a massive house for half as much as you want to spend. Private mail me if you need help ill mail you some real estate books. NC has open carry and we recognize most states concealed carry.

16. swardrn

swardrn Registered Member

There are quite a few brick houses for rent in Davidson County near Lexington NC for less than 800 month on facebook

17. ZHR

ZHR Registered Member

Where in raleigh are you looking for work? There are several affordable towns nearby