Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does a "good" trigger job on a 1911 consist of? Where does a custom job differ from say a cylinder and slide drop in kit? What would one expect to pay for a trigger job from a local smith that knows what they are doing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
A full trigger job on a 1911 consists of a bunch of things
Some just polish the parts that make contact other polish the entire trigger
Lighting the sear spring some
Possible recutting the sear to releas the hammer sooner eliminating some pre travel
Adjusting over travel etc etc you can probably get a drop in kit from some custom shops for about 120-145 maybe more or less

Some smiths charge 80-180 depending on the smith call some of them up and see is your best bet then ask em what's done

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Just get some jeweler's rouge and your dremel and go to town. Hit the feedramp and barrel throat while you're at it... :sp

Kidding of course... Please god don't ever do that folks...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah going to give CDP a run. I shot CDP at Coharie yesterday, wasnt pretty. Took me two stages to realise theres a thumb safety on these things, despite all of the dry firing the night before.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
For what it's worth, every 1911 I've shot has a good enough trigger for IDPA. (It is, after all, single action...) The key for me was trying to get them to run consistently. I'd encourage you to just shoot it some and let the trigger settle in on its own, unless it's crazy heavy.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gun is new, only 400 rounds so far. I dont know what crazy heavy is in a 1911, this is the only one Ive shot, nothing to compair it to other than my plastic guns. I was going to get one of the cylinder and slide drop in kits, but I think Ill wait untill I get 1000 rounds through it first. If I do decide on a trigger I may look into having a smith do a trigger job instead of a drop in kit. It seems Im shooting/grouping a low left. Low is partialy do to me changing the front sight to a fiber that is .005 taller than factory, left may be do to me jerking trigger. I would like to think Im not flintching, anctipating recoil, but ill give it a little more time. Going to shoot it at Wake county tomorrow night, and H20 next weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.