Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are no guns involved I'll put it here.

So I'm scouring pawn shops for a Baritone Horn for my daughter. I get a lead on a shop that might have one. When I go I'm OC"ing my G19 in a my snap on leather holster. I'm looking at some handguns while I wait and another employees asks if he can help. We talk guns, I mention I make holsters and he asks if I'm interested in some tools. Sure. So he goes and gets a bowling ball bag full of tools. The only thing that annoys me is that I just ordered 3 of the tools in the bag from Springfield. Anyway, he had not decided if he was selling the whole bag or going to part it out. So I ask him to make me a price for the whole bag. I walked out of there with all this for some change under $65. And going back later to have may daughter try the horn that they did have. At this point I'm estimating $300-400 dollars worth of stuff here if I were to order it.

I'm still giddy about this. Most of this stuff is not even used. But a lot of it is getting ready to be. And just to relate this here, I might have to try tooling a holster soon. I've already made a small pouch and dog collar with some of this stuff.

Overview

Detail shots

We went back and picked up the horn. We got a Yamaha Baritone Horn that was tagged at $799 for $200. The cheapest used one I could find at a music store was $975. And they are $1100 or more new. It had set in the case so long it had tarnished into the finish. I bet it's been there for 10 years. It looked bad aesthetically, but there was no damage and my daughter can play it fine. I'm in the process of taking the tarnish, and unfortunately the lacquer finish, off with brasso and steel wool. Looks like I beat the house twice today. I'll trade some elbow grease for that price, and we will probably replace the valve springs. And my daughter can't put it down.

·
Premium Member
8,081 Posts
Good deal! Your daughter is a happy girl. Priceless!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Not a pawn shop, but a gun store's used gun section. Picked up a used Browning Buckmark with a 9" barrel and a red dot sight and 4 magazines for $300. They also had Glock blue boxes. Bought two guns that day!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I played trumpet for years, until I realized a '76 Nova would get me more tail than playing "Another One Bites the Dust" at friday night football games.

Amazing how the "developing" mind works.

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was that a full flipping checker kit I saw. I just paid close to what you paid for the whole bag for just a checkering kit (with one less tool).
The white rack at the top is slam full of leather tooling dies. If that's what you are talking about. I need to go through and mess with them a bit. I've been wanting to try tooling, now I don't have an excuse. I'm still trying to figure out what some of this stuff is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.