PHA Tactical Meet 11/20/10 (please read first post for all basic info) | Carolina Shooters Club

PHA Tactical Meet 11/20/10 (please read first post for all basic info)

Discussion in 'NC Meet Ups, Events, and NC Gun Shows' started by HPFilter, Oct 15, 2010.

1. HPFilter

HPFilter Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

The PHA Tactical Match is held on the 3rd Saturday of the month at 8:30 AM (April-September)/10 AM (October-February), weather permitting. Match fees are $15 for the first gun, $15 for a second gun (to be shot through the entire match).
    The match consists of 2 stages with different scenarios each month. All matches involve movement and shooting around barricades and through windows and doors at ISPC-type targets. You begin shooting at the sound of a buzzer. The number of targets range from 7 to 18. Total round count will be less than 100 for the match (including pistol rounds).

You can use center fire and rim fire. For center fire, rifles used are AR-15, Mini-14, AK-47’s and similar. For rim fire, the new ARs in .22 can be shot, along with other .22 semi-automatic carbines.

Pistols can be used in any pistol caliber. Shooters will need 2 rifle magazines (25 rds. or more minimum) and an 8 round pistol magazine. Before each stage the range officers will explain safety rules and provide a walk through.

Your sign-in time determines your shooting schedule. If you register early, you will shoot early. If you come late you will be one of the last to shoot. NO EXCEPTIONS! Allow yourself enough time to enjoy a great time.

http://www.phashoots.com/Matches/Tactical/index.htm

Address for directions:
    Piedmont Handgunners Association
    10346 Highway 150 South
    Linwood, NC 27299

2. HPFilter

HPFilter Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Only a month away...

3. glock 56

glock 56 Registered Member

Think Beach

OK what do you think about a beach theme. speedos, swim suits, bikinis and guns.

4. SpeedyCotton

SpeedyCotton New Member

Please be STRONGLY ADVISED that there is nobody there that i even want to think about in the suggested theme.
    Ha.

5. SgtKarl

SgtKarl Registered Member

I knew there was something really wrong with you. Be advised, There is a PHA SOS (Shoot on Site) order for any man wearing a speedo. :25:

Look it up, its buried somewhere in the bylaws I am sure.

:biggrin::biggrin:

6. GTM1

GTM1 Registered Member

If it's not,we'll pencil it in at the bottom.

7. Alpha-17

Alpha-17 Active Duty Paratrooper

Anybody dumb enough to wear a speedo in mid-November deserves to be shot.

8. Bonk

Bonk Registered Member

I LIKE IT!!

I finally get the chance to wear my micro-bikini!!:001_cool:

9. 9outof10mms

9outof10mms Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Since this is likely where BrittanyMan will be looking for [real :D ] suggestions for the November match, I'll go ahead and re-post mine:

If the movie is going to be Blackhawk Down, the best shootout that comes to my mind is the two Delta Force snipers (Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon) that volunteered to defend one of the downed helos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_9hpVi9Ns

Randy's wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Shughart
    Gary's wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gordon

The shootout would provide ample targets (could even mix in non-threats as civilians without weapons), many opportunities for rifle-pistol changes and mag chances for each. As an added bonus, folks would learn something about these two incredible men that were posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

While I doubt the National guard would be talked into landing a Blackhawk and allowing us to shoot from inside of it, the stage could still be modeled after shooting from the cover of the wrecked chopper.

10. glock 56

NO, NO, NO you guy have the wrong idea. the targets THE Targets have on the beach ware NOT the shooters. You guys are sick!

11. paragain

paragain Hall of Shame Club Subscribed

I'll be there but I won't be wearing a speedo!

12. SpeedyCotton

SpeedyCotton New Member

You mean I bought speedos for no reason?

13. SgtKarl

SgtKarl Registered Member

YES!!!

14. 2alpha-down0

2alpha-down0 Registered Member

15. paragain

paragain Hall of Shame Club Subscribed

As sorry as I am count me in...it will give other someone to beat!

16. Chris Van

Chris Van Registered Member

I'm planning to be there, minus the beach wear. In case you went there, no I do not mean naked.

17. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Count me in

18. glock 56

Get a Grip

Hy Guys
    This Chris Van guy [post above] showed off a set of grips for his pistol. He is starting a buiness making them. You have to see them and he said he will be at the tac. match.
    He said he can make them for rt. hand lt. hand or ambi. and thin or thick to fit your hand. THEY LOOK GREAT!!

19. dirtydirtysouf

dirtydirtysouf New Member

im getting ready to clean my WASR-10 and watch BHD :biggrin:

20. Brittanyman

Brittanyman Registered Member

BLACKHAWK DOWN

Men, I watched the movie again (BLACKHAWK DOWN), and have come up with a shooting scenario. We will have 8 positions with 34 to 36 targets with 52 to 56 rifle rounds and 8 pistol rounds. We will be shooting from cover on all positions - some from inside a vehicle, a building (windows) behind walls and other cover. So that we are safe, and to cut down on time needed to clear weapons, we will ask that you load all magazines so that at the end of the rifle section you will run dry and have a empty chamber. The same for the pistol section, which will come after the rifle section. By November 20 this plan may be modified, but it will be just small changes. I will have two "technicals" with machine guns mounted on the back. Also two or more skinnies will have RPGs.

I hope the weather is good and I hope we have a big attendence.

21. Wahoo95

WOW, this sounds fun! I tell ya this thing gets better and better every month!

22. GTM1

GTM1 Registered Member

...and if there is a malfunction during a run or put to many rounds in a target??

23. Frmr0317

Frmr0317 U. S. Military Club Subscribed

I'm definitely in, sounds awesome

24. liberty057

liberty057 Registered Member

34-36 rifle targets. That's what I'm talking about! Very nice.

I have the same question as GTM1... With a Vickers-style scoring system, the shooter should be allowed to plan for a few extra rounds if he needs them. If the time involved in clearing weapons is a concern, I think the use of better chamber flags would allow a procedure in which the SO would remove the flag at the start of the run, hold on to it while the shooter runs the stage, and then insert it immediately after he's done shooting. A lot of time would be saved with a method like that. Very safe way to do it. FWIW.

[​IMG]
    http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX0051

I think an enhanced chamber flag routine is a better option than trying to have the shooter count rounds and then nullifying the options of a Vickers scoring system.

25. jjwestbrook

jjwestbrook Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'll be there !!

26. Brittanyman

Brittanyman Registered Member

The concern I have about having to clear two weapons at the end of the stage is the time involved. With so many targets and then to score all of them could make this stage too time consuming. People can't go downrange to score until all weapons are cleared and the range is declared cold/safe.

Can we come up with a better option? One would be to eliminate the transition to handgun, thus only one weapon to clear. However in the movie some of the rangers used handguns in the battle.

27. 9outof10mms

9outof10mms Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

While I can absolutely appreciate the desire to reduce the "non-shooting" time, I agree with the others that trying to carry only an exact amount of rounds in the mag feels uncomfortable. And making this a one gun only match doesn't sound too fun either. If I had to pick, I'd say the second option is certainly better (eliminating the pistol)...but I still don't like it.

It doesn't seem like there's that much time involved in clearing weapons and calling the range cold. Maybe a minute for each shooter??? To keep the match unhindered with limiting rounds and eliminating the pistol, I personally am willing to pause for an extra minute each time.

28. steve.sellers

steve.sellers Registered Member

FWIW -

(1) I am strongly opposed to going into a stage with an exact round count. For one thing, sometimes I choose to burn an extra .17 seconds and put an extra round on a target. For another, if you go into a stage without any extra rounds and have a malfunction, you're necessarily down at least 10 seconds for the rounds lost to a double-feed, for example.

(2) The additional time that it will take to clear a pistol at the end of the stage is measured in seconds. If your ROs are doing their job, the stage should move along just fine.

(3) I also have a strong aversion to going into any stage, drill, etc. without a hot secondary. Worst case, my rifle goes down and I can't fix it (or I'm inside 30m) - I can go to my pistol. This is just one perspective, but since I - and some others - approach these matches as training, first and foremost, I thought it was worth saying.

Summary: I would prefer a full load-out for both carbine and pistol.

29. nitro

nitro Registered Member

From what I observed at last month's match, clearing the weapons didn't take long at all; it's the resetting of the stage. Have some type of rotation setup where more than 4 people will be pasting targets, especially if we're going to have 36 targets.

When I used to play poker we'd have two decks. The dealer would have a deck and the person on the big blind would be required to gather/shuffle the deck from the previous hand. By time the current hand was finished, there would already be a new deck ready to deal. It doesn't have to be complicated, but it will surely speed things up.

I'll be there.

30. Wahoo95

Gene and the others are doing a great job with making the scenarios better every month, however I think we as participants owe it to them and ourselves to be better about pasting and resetting targets between shooters since that's where most of the lost time goes as Nitro has already commented.