Phone Rooting? | Carolina Shooters Club

Phone Rooting?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Fortkevin2, May 27, 2012.

1. Fortkevin2

Fortkevin2 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Just curious if anyone has rooted their phone? I have an HTC Evo 4g thats fairly old at this point. I have read that it's fairly easy to do and opens quite a bit of options for thr user.

Who all has done it and have you had any issues so far?

Sent from an HTC mobile device....

2. HTP

HTP Guest

I have a rooted HTC Incredible (permanent S-OFF) w/Android 2.2. Been rooted for a year now, but I do not run any alternative OS builds (tried them, but like 2.2 reliability). So many more possibilities and capabilities. The Incredible is powerful and very reliable rooted. If your phone is out of warranty and you feel comfortable with the technical aspects of rooting, do it. If for no other reasons, free WiFi HotSpot and WiFi tethering. I use it to connect my laptop and FrankenPad to 3G via WiFi with only one data account.

I also have a HP TouchPad 32Gb (FrankenPad) that I have rooted to dual boot WebOS and Android 4.03 (ICS). The FrankenPad is a little buggy because the OS is a hacked ICS Cyanogen 9 Alpha 2 on a non-Android device. WebOS is polished, but application support is not good and I am much more comfortable with Android because it is very Unix/Linux.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  3. Ed Zachary

Ed Zachary Registered Member

I rooted my HTC Incredible, if for no other reason than to gain access to the file system. Have done software development for >30 years so I wasn't afraid I would do anything untoward. Being able to use apps that need root acces, such as Titanium Backup proved to be a lifesaver.
    My wife now has a Samsung Charge, also rooted. Replaced the Incredible back in March with a RAZR Maxx which I rooted a couple of weeks ago. Rooting the RAZR was pretty much a one-click, five minute affair.
    Rooting the other two was a bit more involved.

4. Fathead

Fathead Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Just got a new Samsung 4G Epic Touch. First thing I did was root simply to have a hotspot in my truck while I am on the road. Research carefully how to do it for your particular phone. You don't want to get halfway through then screw it up and end up with a nice paperweight. Youtube typically has how to videos for just about every device out there.

5. Fathead

Fathead Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Sin, what program do you use for hot spot connectivity. I use WiFi tether and I can't get my Kindle Fire to pick it up. My laptop sees it and connects to it fine, but my Kindle doesn't even know its there.

6. HTP

HTP Guest

Open Garden for WiFi hotspot

WiFi File Explorer for browsing and transferring files from the phone via WiFi to network computers using web browser

ES File Explorer for browsing the phone, LAN, FTP and cloud services

Sent from my FrankenPad.

7. Taurus357

Taurus357 New Member

Been rooting and roming since my G1 (the original android phone) the process generally varies greatly from phone to phone, hell my sgs vibrant took downloading an app to root, flash cwm, then flash whatever rom. I'm on the Samsung Note now and it was somewhat easy. Finally got a decent flavor of ICS. XDA-developers.com is one stop shop for android anything.

all typoes brought to you by crapatalk...

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Just damn, either I'm truely as old as my daughter says, or you guys are all speaking Chinese?

9. lufbro

lufbro Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

i think we're just old

10. HTP

HTP Guest

I'm old, so I guess I speak Chinese? :confused:

Sent from my FrankenPad.

11. Oldguy

Glad somebody else doesn't know Chinese.

12. Oldguy

Ok, if you're old the only other option is your IQ is 40 points higher than mine.

13. shrek

shrek Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

This forum will provide all the geek on rooting you will ever need. There is a thread for every phone - if you don't see yours listed check out the other names of your phone from other carriers - example: motorola electrify from us cellular is a motorola photon from sprint. Complete directions and programs are usually easy to find.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

14. Tarowah

Tarowah Member

I have been looking at rooting my Evo 4G and with HBOOT 2.18 the amount of work you have to do is staggering to say the least, you have to unlock, downgrade, flash and wipe just just to load custom .roms....... I will look at it again when I havent had a couple of beers lol.

15. tilefish

tilefish Dog Defender Club Subscribed

oh, one of these threads... I am confused and leaving now.

16. jdub

jdub New Member

I rooted my Droid Eris when I had it. Relatively simple. Planning on doing my Bionic as soon as the warranty is up. Definitely check out xda forum Shrek mentioned. It should have you covered.

17. Taurus357

Taurus357 New Member

3 nooks running CM7 and phiremod
    Logitech Revue Google TV
    2 phones
    And server streaming media to all TVs, handsets, game consoles, and tvs and backing devices.

all typoes brought to you by crapatalk...

18. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Rooted my Evo4g hours after getting it, never looked back. I have tried many roms both sense and aosp. Currently running classic from tommytomatoe. Also rooted my work thunderbolt. That runs synergy.

Open Garden rocks and so does wireless FTP

Head on over to xda-developers or goodandevo.net lots of good info, roms, apps, etc.

19. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

So can someone define for this illiterate 29 yr old what rooting means??

20. Tarowah

Tarowah Member

I am about half way through the root on the Evo 4G, the amount of work involved is nuts. I had to use HTCdev un order to get the boot loader unlocked and so far I have the older versior of bootloader installed, working on getting superuser instelled now, I hope to have ICS up and running by this evening.

Rooting the phone means you are unlocking the phone so you can install any software you would like to run the phone, in my case the maker of my phone (HTC) is not going to do anymore update to the software (IE Android) , since my pohone is 2 years old I am willing to take the risk to unlock it so I can install the newest Android version on it.

21. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye New Member

I gave up trying.

I rooted my Nokia and it never worked again. I even used Miracle Gro and gave it full sun for the first weeks with daily waterings and it still never sprouted.

Isn't there an easier way to get cheap cell phones other than rooting? Seeds perhaps?

22. Tarowah

Tarowah Member

VICTORY!!! It took 2.5 hours just to root this Evo 4G and I havent even gotten to the new OS yet lol.

23. joeface

joeface Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

By rooting, you unlock the phone from the hold the carrier puts on certain settings, and or programs you can run. In most instances you get a faster and better running phone. You get caught and you lose your piddly warranty if you have one. On an iPhone it's called jail breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

I root mainly to get rid of the Verizon bloatware and access wifi tethering. Currently running HTC Rezound rooted with Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3

25. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

This is no longer true. There was a court case recently that decided that a cell phone is yours when you buy it even if they gave you a break on the cost with a contract. The contract is part of the purchase.

The case was against Apple and their iPhones. You no longer lose your warranty. Droid phones are now becoming easier to root because of this court decision so root away.

I personally haven't done it yet because until I got my iPhone I never kept a phone long enough to warrant messing with it.

I will be rooting or "breaking" my iPhone 4s as soon as I have the time.

26. joeface

joeface Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Thanks for clarifying that. I have stayed away from the droid world since getting my iPhone too.

27. NCMedic

NCMedic Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

How do you like the rooted nook? Been wanting to do the dual boot with our two nooks

Sent from this... Using that...

28. Glade8r

Glade8r Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I rooted my EVO using unrevoked. It was really quite simple. If you do brick your phone you should get the new EVO 4G LTE. I got one last Thursday (Sprint hasnt actually released it yet). This thing is fantastic. Runs a 5,100 on quadrant standard!

http://unrevoked.com/

29. DirtySCREW

DirtySCREW Member

Rooting = jail breaking

Rooting is unlocking an Android device while jailbreaking is doing the same to an Apple iPhone.
    Took me a couple weeks just to figure THAT out! LOL

DirtySCREW

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

30. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Dead and Remembering Lifetime Member

Fire will not do ADHOC.
    Rooted this Galaxy S2 the 1st day I got it.