Pics from my MI trip | Carolina Shooters Club

Pics from my MI trip

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by 1406, Nov 22, 2016.

1. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I got back in town last Sat from my annual hunting trip to MI. Hunting was good but I didn't see any deer that met the size requirements we set for the property. As always, no doe are taken since the surrounding properties seem to enjoy the idea of shooting every living brown creature.

Anyways, thought I'd share the pics that I did take.

This was a fresh rub about 75 yards from my F-I-L's blind; we cleared a lane into this area and he was able to watch a few small bucks work this rub.
    Rub.jpg

I always enjoy the sunsets while up there; the flat(ter) topography and rolling hills give a wide view of the evening skies. I snapped this pic while standing next to my F-I-L's blind on Sunday the 13th.
    Sunset.jpg

This pic is looking from my blind towards the East. This dirt road (trail) runs down the middle of the property and I watch for trespassers from time to time. It's roughly 275 yards from my window to the other side of the road.
    Blind.jpg

My F-I-L's knee started acting up on Wednesday so I hunted his blind on Thursday morning. I only saw [3] doe but they didn't seem to mind me watching them. They're about 18 yards from the blind, moving from my left to right.
    Deer 1.jpg Deer 2.jpg Deer 3.jpg

My last hunt was Friday morning; I watched a spike come in and lay down next to some apples about 85 yards away. He must have been tired from chasing because he would eat apples while laying down. He got up after close to 30 mins and proceeded to walk up to my blind, then off to my right.
    Deer 4.jpg Deer 5.jpg Deer 6.jpg

All in all, it was a great trip. We didn't take any deer this year but that didn't matter. Just being up there and in the woods makes everything else fade away.

@kcult - you can see some of the cut trees in the last [3] pics and also some of the marks made from the arborist before cutting. My blind is right on the edge of the 800 acre cut. Some areas were select cut while others were stripped down to nothing. These deer certainly didn't mind the more open ground.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    majdurham and fieldgrade like this.
  2. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

looks awesome. You need a food plot to the left of where those does are crossing. That would hold them in there ;)

3. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I've tried to get him to put one in but he likes to stick with his good ole sugar beets and carrots routine. Those doe actually came in from deep in that clearing, facing the blind head on. I referenced the L-R movement since that's how they left.

ikarus1 likes this.
  4. IrishCannon

IrishCannon Hall of Shame

Where was this?

I used to live in Novi just of Walled Lake. Spent a lot of time on the other side around Grand Haven as well. Never got to make it up north.

I really hope the state continues to improve and government goes more red. I always enjoyed living there. Can't beat the summers.

5. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

sugar beets is good, but oats would bring them in earlier. Once those beets and carrots are gone, they don't grow back. Oats and clover will ;)

Regardless, looks like a nice place. Long way to travel just to kill a derrr though :D

6. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I'm up in Frederic. Last year I could feel the artillery blasts from Camp Grayling during one of their training exercises.