Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short survey, 13 multiple choice questions, about the government's involvement in environmental issues. Would very much appreciate it if you would respond, all multiple choice, feel free to post or PM and I'll strip all user info before forwarding to her.

From the first question the liberal bias will hit you right between the eyes, but nothing to be done about it at this point. Try not to overthink the questions and answers, I seriously had to point out that we should add answer D to question 2 so people in the South could participate.

Thanks for your assistance!

1) Gender
a) Male
b) Female
c) Other​

2) Region of US
a) Northeast
b) Midwest
c) Southwest
d) Southeast​

3) Age
a) 18-29
b) 30-44
c) 45-64
d) 65+​

4) Race
a) White
b) African American
c) Latino
d) Other​

5) Political Affiliation
a) Republican
b) Democrat
c) Independent
d) Other​

6) Political Philosophy
a) Conservative
b) Moderate
c) Liberal
d) Libertarian
e) Other​

7) Max Education
a) High school degree or less
b) Some college
c) College degree or more​

8) Do you believe that each state should make its own decisions regarding the government involvement in environmental protection?
a) Yes
b) Undecided
c) No, the federal government should make the decisions for the states​

9) Should the government spend more than 3% of the budget on environmental concerns? (note that environmental concerns get less than 3% today)
a) Yes, environmental concerns needs more than 3% of the budget
b) No, the money for environmental concerns should be decreased to less than 1% of the budget.
c) Spending on environmental concerns should stay about the same.​

10) Should tax money go towards the environment?
a) Yes
b) Possible
c) No​

11) Do you believe that hazards to the environment require immediate intervention by the government?
a) Yes
b) Sometimes - it depends on how serious the situation is
c) No, never​

12) Do you think that more emphasis should be put on using renewable energy sources rather than fossil fuels?
a) Yes
b) Maybe a little
c) Not at all​

13) Should there be laws banning/limiting the production of hazardous chemicals and burning of fossil fuels?
a) Absolutely
b) Yes, but only if there is an excessive amount of them
c) No​

· Banned
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The questions are obviously loaded to generate a particular, desired, answer. Unfortunately, I also think they may fail at capturing actual positions on the issue and instead devolve it into a canned partisan one.

For example, I believe that the polluting of our environment, be it CO2, other greenhouse gasses, oozing deleting chemicals, or even just plain trash is a problem. Similarly, I am really concerned about deforestation and where it could go even to the point of threatening our ability to breath due to not enough oxygen. Similarly, I think the biggest threat is other, so called developing, nations.

Now, that being said, I have a serious issue with some of the regulations that some wish to impose upon people through govt. Being told I can't buy an incandescent light bulb or that I must buy a small car is just plain absurd. For one thing, even in the US, the consumer is such a small part of the issue. Just like in the 90s with the RoHS on electronics which consumed 3% of the lead but the auto industry which is the biggest polluter was too big to touch. On the other hand, pollution is one of the key things that economic markets regulate poorly, largely because those bearing the true costs aren't the ones buying products. Similarly, the Federal govt. does have a role in regulating interstate action, which certainly involves pollution.

In short, I don't have a good answer, but at the same time I don't think it falls to either political party's stump lines of more federal regulation and taxes or leave it to the states and economic markets. I think both are right and wrong but mostly just completely miss the boat.
Agree, but I think this is what you get when three 15/16 year olds write a survey with the help of their teacher in a couple hours. It is a complex and nuanced issue, but at least they went for a short list of questions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.