Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phil at PF Custom was nice enough to fill out my Form 4 today, but I'm having trouble filling out Form 1.
How specific do I have to be with the bbl and OAL? Don't even have all of my parts yet.
Can I, or should I put "multi" for caliber?
(d.) Model???? Ar 15?
(h) is this where I put my engraved data?
(i) what do you guys use for "intent"

·
Registered
822 Posts
Phil at PF Custom was nice enough to fill out my Form 4 today, but I'm having trouble filling out Form 1.
How specific do I have to be with the bbl and OAL? Don't even have all of my parts yet.
Can I, or should I put "multi" for caliber?
(d.) Model???? Ar 15?
(h) is this where I put my engraved data?
(i) what do you guys use for "intent"
Disclaimer... I am by no means an expert, just someone patiently waiting to get back a few form 1's so I can only say this is what *I* did based upon my own research...

Barrel length and OAL... Most say to put the shortest possible length that you intend to use. For OAL there are tons of threads on AR-15.com for many different combinations of barrel lengths and stocks.

Do NOT put "multi" for the caliber. Put whatever caliber you intend to build your sbr (i.e. 5.56x45) in original configuration. Yes, you can swap on a different caliber upper if you'd like.

(d)... This is the exact model as labeled on your lower receiver, not "AR-15"... for example my Seekins lower is labeled an "SP223", not an AR-15. This would be engraved on your lower specifying the model name for your given manufacturer.

(h)... many debate this. Some say leave it blank, others say to put what you will engrave on the lower. I left it blank as I believe it's known that the "manufacturer" (you) will need to engrave your information once you get back your approved form 1 to become the manufacturer of the sbr.

(i)... "All Lawful Purposes in accordance with NC General Statues 14-288.8"

Again, I am not, nor do I claim to be an expert. This is based upon what *I* did after doing research and getting input from others. I believe it to be accurate though, but cannot tell you with 100% certainty until the form 1's are approved and back in my hand.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Disclaimer... I am by no means an expert, just someone patiently waiting to get back a few form 1's so I can only say this is what *I* did based upon my own research...

Barrel length and OAL... Most say to put the shortest possible length that you intend to use. For OAL there are tons of threads on AR-15.com for many different combinations of barrel lengths and stocks.

Do NOT put "multi" for the caliber. Put whatever caliber you intend to build your sbr (i.e. 5.56x45) in original configuration. Yes, you can swap on a different caliber upper if you'd like.

(d)... This is the exact model as labeled on your lower receiver, not "AR-15"... for example my Seekins lower is labeled an "SP223", not an AR-15. This would be engraved on your lower specifying the model name for your given manufacturer.

(h)... many debate this. Some say leave it blank, others say to put what you will engrave on the lower. I left it blank as I believe it's known that the "manufacturer" (you) will need to engrave your information once you get back your approved form 1 to become the manufacturer of the sbr.

(i)... "All Lawful Purposes in accordance with NC General Statues 14-288.8"

Again, I am not, nor do I claim to be an expert. This is based upon what *I* did after doing research and getting input from others. I believe it to be accurate though, but cannot tell you with 100% certainty until the form 1's are approved and back in my hand.
You "may" run into some delays :)

Yes you should fill in section H with whatever you plan to engrave.

Make sure your reason reads: "Scientific Research and Development and all lawful purposes as per NC GS 14-288.8"

·
Registered
382 Posts
Larry:
Can I, or should I put "multi" for caliber? ....YES, this will be approved, but if your primary piece is going to be, say, 9mm I would put 9mm
(d.) Model???? Ar 15?....be careful with this, make sure you use exactly what the manufacture of the lower receiver has for model. Example Bushmaster calls theirs XM-15E2S.
(h) is this where I put my engraved data?...not necessarily, BUT ATF would like you for doing so!!
(i) what do you guys use for "intent"[/QUOTE] .....Here again use Scientific research and experimental purposes DO NOT USE: "All Lawful Purposes in accordance with NC General Statues 14-288.8 I can almost guarantee that it will be returned and/or disapproved!!
I hope this helps, we should have done the form 1 while you were here...but you do need to get a lower to start with a serial number.
Good to visit with you today...Thanks:

Phil

·
Registered
822 Posts
You "may" run into some delays :)

Yes you should fill in section H with whatever you plan to engrave.

Make sure your reason reads: "Scientific Research and Development and all lawful purposes as per NC GS 14-288.8"
Bite your tongue! :) At this point only time will tell, but I figured with the change in law that it no longer needed the "scientific research".

Post #13... I hope Dana didn't change his mind...

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/threads/85895-Setting-up-a-Living-Trust-and-Filling-out-ATF-Paperwork-for-an-SBR?p=707261&viewfull=1#post707261

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just to update this thread I just got the stamp back in the mail stating that I was approved on Oct 19th by Dana Pickles with "All lawful purposes in accordance with NC general statute 14-288.8".

·
Vendor
5,801 Posts
I would fill in what is going to be engraved, box H, my first SBR got kicked back because I left it blank, Dana then told me exactly what he wanted in it. Also no abbreviations, except for state are generally allowed. If you are going trust route then the engraving has to be the exact trust name, he did let me abbreviate my middle name with just an initial.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Larry:
Can I, or should I put "multi" for caliber? ....YES, this will be approved, but if your primary piece is going to be, say, 9mm I would put 9mm
I put multi for the caliber, and my Form 1 got kicked back. I was told to put the main caliber there and then list the other calibers under the optional spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.