primed .45 brass | Carolina Shooters Club

primed .45 brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jimintheburg, Aug 11, 2021.

1. jimintheburg

jimintheburg Registered Member

Phew. Thought I had screwed up.
    I prefer to hand prime and had worn out a RCBS priming tool ( not the parts as I replaced different parts ). Bought a Lyman tool and had problems with too many primers not being seated deeply enough and required another striker/hammer strike.
    Found a RCBS tool on sale and grungily went back to RCBS.
    This time, I guess I went overboard and pressed too hard and seated them below the surface. When I looked at them recently, I was scared they were seated too deeply. When I was able, I tried a coupl;e of the worse ones and loaded them in my 4567 and thank heavens, both fired.
    Just curious, which will "reach" the furthest - firing pin or striker. Or are they both about the same?
    While I am not in a bind for primers, this is about 450-500 primed cases and I would hate to loose them.

2. SeabeeChief

SeabeeChief Registered Member

They all protrude about the same. It is normal for the primer to be set below the case head. In fact, its desirable. I have a mauser 98 that the firing pin protrudes to the point it can pierce thin primers such as unis ginex but its never pierced an american primers. My glock striker protrudes about the same as any other gun i have.