Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
Usually just tube feed guns and single shots iirc. Also my sons Henry h001 holds 21 shorts

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I can tell you tomorrow. I accidentally bought a box of Aguilla shorts a couple years ago while trying a dozen different .22lr rounds. I'm curious how loud they are in my FVSR w/o the suppressor.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
The shorts require a different twist than a long rifle to shoot accurately and if one shoots a bunch of shorts in a long chamber there will a need to clean the chamber before long rifles will function easily.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
My tube fed .22 fails to feed them properly. I haven't tried in my boltgun, but I'm sure I'd have to load them one at a time like the tube fed semi auto.
Usually it's the auto tube fed guns that have trouble feeding them. I have never had any issues with a bolt-fed tube 22LR feeding shorts. It's usually marked on the barrel. The .22 shorts came out first in the scheme of things, then longs then long rifle. I don't think it's the twist rate that is super critical, it's the chamber throat.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
"Can any bolt action rifle shoot .22 shorts?" No. My Savage MKII is clearly marked .22 L.R. only and it is a clip fed bolt action. Some .22's are chambered for the LR round either for better accuracy or to enhance feeding. This is especially true of target rifles. While you might be able to "fit" a .22 short into one, the results would be less than satisfactory. Having said that, generally all non-target single shot bolt actions will handle shorts, longs,and long rifles. Just check the markings on the barrel to be sure.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
My 550-1 has no problem feeding them, firing them, ejecting them. Neither does my old Marlin 25 bolt. Best way to find out is to try some.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I shot some Aguilla 29gr shorts yesterday in my FVSR, suppressed and unsuppressed, and in my 10/22. I was shocked that those things are a tad louder than the CCI SV I was shooting. I expected the little guys to be hearing safe or similar to CCI quiet. Not even close, but they do work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.