Question About SC Vehicle Carry | Carolina Shooters Club

Question About SC Vehicle Carry

Discussion in 'SC Concealed Carry' started by Qball50, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Qball50

Qball50 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

We are heading way down to Beaufort SC this Wednesday through Sunday for a little get away. I do not have a NC Concealed Carry Permit. I have read the SC statutes but I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. According to my interpretation, it is legal for me to carry my handgun in my car as long as it is stored either in the closed glovebox, closed console, or in a closed and locked container in the luggage compartment. In other words, it is legal for me to carry a concealed handgun in my car without a concealed carry permit as long as it is in one of those aforementioned locations and I don't go somewhere that expressly forbids firearms in the vehicle. Is that correct? And if so, does "closed glovebox" and "closed console" refer to the compartments in the front of the car within easy reach of the passenger and driver? I would like to take my Beretta down there when we go and would prefer to carry it in the console or glovebox. I just want to make sure I am understanding the law correctly. Thanks.

Dave

2. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

Closed center console or glovebox is fine and correct in SC. SC is not an open carry state as NC is, so don't have it in the open.

3. jjwestbrook

jjwestbrook Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

you are correct , closed but does not have to be locked ,

4. Qball50

Good deal guys. Thanks.

5. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

A more complete wording:

Specific wording is located in Section 16-23-20: Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:
    (a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment;

So pay attention to the specifics of where you're allowed to carry in the vehicle.

Section 16-23-10 says:

(10) "Luggage compartment" means the trunk of a motor vehicle which has a trunk; however, with respect to a motor vehicle which does not have a trunk, the term "luggage compartment" refers to the area of the motor vehicle in which the manufacturer designed that luggage be carried or to the area of the motor vehicle in which luggage is customarily carried. In a station wagon, van, hatchback vehicle, truck, or sport utility vehicle, the term "luggage compartment" refers to the area behind the rearmost seat.

"Closed" does not mean "locked".

So yes...your interpretation is correct.

Do NOT have the gun in open view. Do NOT have the gun concealed on your person without a recognized permit.

And personally, I wouldn't carry the gun in the same location as your registration and insurance. But if you do, it's a simple matter of informing the officer of the presence of the gun BEFORE reaching for your registration/insurance and following his/her directions.

Welcome to SC! Hope your stay is a pleasant one!

6. Qball50

Thanks Chief. I was planning on carrying it in our center console compartment. It is very deep and can accommodate a full size pistol. My insurance and registration info is kept in the glove compartment. I have been pulled before in NC while open carrying in the vehicle with no issues. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to worry about this stuff?:) Thanks again........... Dave

7. General Dynamics

General Dynamics Registered Member

Just make sure your center console has a lid/cover on it.... For non-CWP holders, that compartment must be 'closed'.

8. Qball50

The console in the vehicle we are taking has a lid. It will be closed.

9. General Dynamics

General Dynamics Registered Member

BTW: You are NOT required to disclose that you have the gun in your vehicle during a traffic stop (if you don't have a CWP). Definitely go with "Don't tell" approach....

10. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

Good point. I almost said something about that in my post, but didn't. A slip on my part.

SC law says if you're a permit holder you must inform the officer you're a permit holder and present the permit to him any time the officer identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder.

If you're not a permit holder, then you are not required to do this. HOWEVER, if you are ASKED whether or not you have a weapon/firearm, that's another matter. Do not lie to an officer, especially on this. So you might want to think now about how you would answer such a question. (There are smart ways to answer, and some not-so-smart ways.)

11. Qball50

Thanks again Chief and Gen Dynamics. I was thinking about that very thing on the way down here Wednesday. Funny thing, I came to that very same conclusion while thinking about it. If I'm stopped, then don't say a word about it unless I'm specifically asked, "Do you have any weapons in your vehicle?" That is when I would respond that I do and go from there.