Rabbit Hunting around Charlotte? | Carolina Shooters Club

Rabbit Hunting around Charlotte?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by R24K20ET, Dec 22, 2021.

1. R24K20ET

R24K20ET Registered Member

Hi all,

Just purchased my NC Hunting License and am looking for recommendations for hunting rabbits. It'd be nice to be able to get some fresh rabbit for some meals. I'll be using a suppressed 22LR and would like to keep it within 2hr of Charlotte/Mooresville area. I'm open to either public gamelands or private land. Thanks in advance!

2. iHUNT

iHUNT Registered Member

It’s going to be difficult with a 22. I’d recommend a shotgun. You can start by going to most any gameland and finding the thickest nastiest place full of briars you can, and stomping around. Short of jumping them and shooting them, they’ll be difficult to find. I have rabbit dogs and hunt them 3 times a week.

3. HawgBonz

HawgBonz Registered Member

Poppin at rabbits with a .22 is gonna be "interesting". They move with a purpose. Best bet is to walk-n-stalk if yer intent on such.
    We see them on the 2-tracks around camp all the time at dusk n dawn and they do run n stop. Sometimes before cover. So it's not like it's impossible.
    I'd take a snack, tho'.. ;) d;^)

PS- It's wayyyy more fun and the BS gets soooo much deeper with a good group of guys and about 20 lil "football dogs".. :D

4. cocopuff

cocopuff Registered Member

Best opportunity for a single hunter with no dogs that I know of is after a snow when the snow is almost melted and the sun is out. The rabbits come out to sun themselves in the thickets and can be seen running ahead of you enough to get a shot, shotgun preferred. Years ago we used to ride the farm roads and kill them at night straddling an old 50’s model car’s fenders. Good luck at that today.