random dogs on your property, what can you (legally) do? | Carolina Shooters Club

random dogs on your property, what can you (legally) do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by jayne, Oct 18, 2015.

1. jayne

jayne Apprentice Goat Wrangler Club Subscribed

If some random dog is on your property, what exactly can you do about it? I'm not talking about your neighbor's dog stopping by to crap on your McMansion lawn, but some random unknown potentially aggressive dog that shows up in a more rural setting?

I ask because our neighbor reported some guy walking on our (dirt) street with unleashed dogs that were chasing deer and running around barking. I'm not worried about the deer, but I am sorta concerned about me or the wife running into these dogs. I don't like feeling like I can't walk around my own property without risking getting mauled or sued if I shoot some random dog.

2. kcult

kcult Registered Member

Mauled or sued. Hmm. Which would I prefer?

Let me get back to you on this.

3. Grits

Grits Registered Member

Shoot, shovel, shut up is one option. On your own property if a dog is agressive you can give it a dirt nap.

4. stankyhollywood

stankyhollywood Member

5. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Move to the city if dogs off leashes scare you? If a guy is walking with them they are not feral animals. I suppose you can be offended if they stepped on your property but I can think of a million better things to worry about.

WNC Seabee and jrgreen like this.
  6. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Be able to run faster than whoever is with you at the time

gunbelt, lowspeed, Qball50 and 4 others like this.
  7. kcult

kcult Registered Member

In all seriousness, if you're on your property and a dog (or dogs) bum rushes you, shoot him. If I'm walking the back 40 and I'm all of a sudden confronted with a dog or dogs that may or may not want to chew me a new one, I'm drawing. If they come at me (bro) aggressively, they become targets.

8. jerz_subbie

jerz_subbie Active Member

I don't think it matters where you live, downtown or east jabumble. If you encounter an aggressive animal, wild or domestic, dispatch it. One of the many reasons we carry.

I would hope the dogs are friendly if the owner is allowing them to run off leash, but of course not every owner is responsible.

9. Edgeman

Edgeman Well-Known Member

Never leave home without a pocket full of Milkbones. :)

Slacker, Qball50 and Windini like this.
  10. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

Bring some treats and a leash, get yourself a pet out of it.

11. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

Some how I feel pretty safe.

Qball50 likes this.
  12. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

You say that now. But we're just a free cock punch away from finding out how badass you really are

kcult, Brian K, sdiver2006 and 2 others like this.
  13. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

Bwahahahahahha

14. gjm4l

gjm4l peasant pennies advocate Lifetime Member

I'm pretty well dog friendly. I don't even get phased by dogs losing their minds at me as I walk by as long as they stay outside of about 10'. I've personally found a strong "alpha" NO works a lot. (On that, since I can't shut up anyway I usually keep up a forcefully worded conversation with a dog that's actually making me nervous). This gave the owners a chance to go oh crap my poor fluffy when I lived in the city.

City I kept a hand on some pepper spray to avoid libtardation of the situation but never needed it. Now that I'm more likely to be in the woods in such an encounter I have my ccw in hand. Even with the most poorly trained (i.e. Not trained) dogs they seem to get the IM ALPHA AND NOT SCARED that I project. If it was to not work and a dog was to charge I wouldn't hesitate to end it, nor would I hesitate to proceed to lay into its owner for a lack of discipline.

As an addition if I'm near someone's house but not on their land I give an animal a lot more leeway in its barking and posturing as I train my dog to be vocal that someone he doesn't know is near my house as well. Of course he's so vigilant he yips if a mouse farts within 1000 yds:rolleyes:

Lawless and Scsmith42 like this.
  15. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Curious what is legally allowed in these type situations as well. I was out at the range last week, alone, and when I turned around there were two Rottweilers and a big Lab 15-20 yards away standing there watching me. That was a little unnerving. Especially since I had just emptied my mag. They didn't look friendly. I slowly walked the few steps to the car and got in. They just stood there looking at me for a bit, then walked away. So if they had come at me, since I'm not on my own property, legally would I have been OK to shoot?

16. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

Are they running deer?

112 likes this.
  17. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

We have a both SYG law and a cruelty to animals law. You can defend yourself, you cannot just up and shoot a dog because you feel like it.

18. tsconver

tsconver Sponsor Club Subscribed

Does your county gmhave a leash law? Many do now.

19. jrgreen

jrgreen My Mom says I'm cool.

A guy is walking with his dogs and you want to know if you can shoot them? Move back to Chapel Hill.

Beef15 likes this.
  20. Beef15

Beef15 Well-Known Member

I like dogs, a forceful no/go/get, combined with a good stomp has dispatched the majority I have felt compelled to run off, one took a swift kick. I would be not compelled to shoot them in defense of myself unless it was a pack. Now a dog acting aggressive toward my wife and/or child and I can't get between them, would not live if I had a safe shot.

Guy walking a dog, I'd probably engage the owner in a conversation, at least say hi, and ask him to keep the dog out of my yard, if it bothered me. Course now I own the end of the street I live on, so I'd probably ask them not to come down here anymore, if my neighbor didn't get them first.

That said, if a local cop can shoot a dog on its property from the street and get promoted to Chief the next week, IMO I can damn sure shoot one acting remotely threatening on my property.

Range example by @jb2sea I worry more about the two legged predators, if, due to rules, I don't have a loaded gun, I have a loaded mag at all times.

21. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Before people get too much further off base here, jayne is talking about a report of a guy walking his dogs, which are not leashed; not stray dogs running rampant.

Seems to me that, barring an actual serious threat from the dogs, the first step is to speak with the person walking the dogs. Leashed or not, a dog owner is responsible for the actions and whereabouts of his dogs. They should not be allowed to run willy-nilly through someone else's property for a number of reasons, not the least of which is common courtesy.

The next step, if the owner isn't taking reasonable action to control his dogs, is to document the behavior and call the authorities.

If at any time you actually fear endangered, keep you and yours out of harms way like you would any other danger...and call the authorities.

Actually shooting or otherwise harming/killing the dog (s) should be the last, reasonable choise.

Scsmith42 likes this.
  22. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

The dogs apparently made no aggressive move toward you, other than they "didn't look friendly." Lots of dogs don't "look" friendly, but are quite the opposite. Unless you're asking for hypothetical reasons, it doesn't sound like you had a problem.

23. jayne

jayne Apprentice Goat Wrangler Club Subscribed

The dog in question was about 150 yards from the owner which is why it was concerning to me. Seems like an unreasonable distance for someone I don't know to let their dogs roam on my property causing trouble.

24. rskahle

rskahle Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Seeing how I'm some what of an expert on this, you can legally kill the dog as long as it is on your property, or if your on public property and the dog is acting aggressively, as long as it is legal for you to have a gun(or shovel) on your person.

mj1angier likes this.
  25. o2l

o2l Not Subscribed

In North Carolina, dogs threatening or harassing livestock (horses, cattle, etc) are shootable. I brought this to a neighbor's attention when his dog got into my horse pasture. He, apparently, was aware of this because he tried to get his dog to come out while I was on my way down to the barn before I got there. No, I didn't shoot the dog because my miniature donkeys chased it out of the pasture. but next time? BTW, I have three horses and 2 mini's, for which I have paid big bucks.

26. amnesia

amnesia Guest

Sadly common courtesy is a thing of the past. For example, you give a courtesy honk because someone is texting and coming into your lane. You get a horn honk back and most likely the finger.

thewallrus likes this.
  27. DrDover

DrDover Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Piss on it to establish dominance.

gunbelt and 1406 like this.
  28. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

So you *could* shoot it given the proper circumstances but why would you? it's pretty darn easy to make friends with a dog... just sayin'

29. thewallrus

thewallrus Active Member

Sadly, common courtesy has gone the same plight as common sense and the dodo bird.

30. tsconver

tsconver Sponsor Club Subscribed

By the way Wake County has a leash law. They have to be leashed at all times when off their property. Plain and simple if they are on your property without a leash call the dog catcher if you are not willing to talk to the owner directly.