Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So. Went to Leeds today. We arrived around 11:10am. The only bench open was the no- seater on the right end. We took it, they were cold as we were unpacking, so I ran out and set my targets up. After about 90 minutes of "range hot".... "range cold"... Commands the two tables to our immediate left were packing p and heading out. They grabbed their targets while I set up more for me. There were people waiting for tables, so they were immediately occupied again. Those 2 groups of people promptly set up targets and downrange became clear. After a couple minutes of everyone on the rate dicking off with their conversations, I yelled "we clear to go hot?" everyone looked at me like I had just asked for a blowjob in German.. The table closest to us put their ears on and were ready to rock and roll. The remainder of the range got quiet for a few seconds, then resumed their non-shooting activities. Let me clarify, they were not acting as a group, but smaller groups of 3-4. No one else put their ears on. Bing a respectful guy, I waited.. They continued their randomness. The g picking up brass at the range came down to my table about 5 minutes later. H said "well, at least you told me you were goin hot. Start sending lead down range". I told him I was tempted, but I remained patient until everyone else was ready to shoot. It wasn't until about 20 minutes after I asked for permission to shoot until everyone was ready.

What would you have done? Would you have done as I did and impatiently waited? Would you have began firing after you gave the warning? I wish I would have had my 7mm-08 with me.. It's the loudest gun I have...

My mood: :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
You really had no choice. The range officer should have been a bit more authoritative imo, but I really think you had no other option. Your patience is admirable and I feel your pain...but you can't fix stupid.

·
Scofflaw Cyclist
2,765 Posts
Depends if there's an RO or not. RO says go, I go. No ears? Should'a listened to the RO.

No RO; you're in a tough spot. However rude they might be for holding you up, you're worse if you open up and they don't have their ears on. Of course if they're smart they keep their ears on and just talk louder, then you can go hot once everybody is clear downrange.

I like indoor ranges with targets on zip lines so the range never has to go cold regularly.

·
Vendor
8,069 Posts
My issue is this, the range is the range, the club house is the club house. Social hour is in the club house, the range is for shooting.

I care less what rifle you bring, I really do not care what new pistol you have. I also do not care how many inches your bullet drops when on the range. What I do care about is safe operation of the firing line and shooters keeping all bullet impacts in the berm. I do not care if you hit your target.

now at the club house, I would love to talk about your new gun, how your bullet gets from point A to point B.

Thats just me.

John

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am curious, how do you pay? Is this range hourly? or do you rent a lane for the day? That would be the difference on how I acted.
It's free. It's outdoors. 25 and 100 yd Burms. Public access in Sumter national forest

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would have approached them and said something like: "Hey guys, I'm getting ready to start shooting down here. You might want to go ahead and get your ears on". Then gone back, given them one last look to see if they were complying, then went about my business.

A word to the wise should be sufficient.

·
Premium Member
6,839 Posts
leeds is a free state owned range .

That's exactly why i am a member of CR-PC now. 300 yd outdoor range and 24/7 access to the indoor range.

was the brass thief there ? I have seen him pick up brass while people where still shooting , i told him once to leave mine alone .

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
So. Went to Leeds today. We arrived around 11:10am. The only bench open was the no- seater on the right end. We took it, they were cold as we were unpacking, so I ran out and set my targets up. After about 90 minutes of "range hot".... "range cold"... Commands the two tables to our immediate left were packing p and heading out. They grabbed their targets while I set up more for me. There were people waiting for tables, so they were immediately occupied again. Those 2 groups of people promptly set up targets and downrange became clear. After a couple minutes of everyone on the rate dicking off with their conversations, I yelled "we clear to go hot?" everyone looked at me like I had just asked for a blowjob in German.. The table closest to us put their ears on and were ready to rock and roll. The remainder of the range got quiet for a few seconds, then resumed their non-shooting activities. Let me clarify, they were not acting as a group, but smaller groups of 3-4. No one else put their ears on. Bing a respectful guy, I waited.. They continued their randomness. The g picking up brass at the range came down to my table about 5 minutes later. H said "well, at least you told me you were goin hot. Start sending lead down range". I told him I was tempted, but I remained patient until everyone else was ready to shoot. It wasn't until about 20 minutes after I asked for permission to shoot until everyone was ready.

What would you have done? Would you have done as I did and impatiently waited? Would you have began firing after you gave the warning? I wish I would have had my 7mm-08 with me.. It's the loudest gun I have...

My mood: :mad:
I think you were more than patient. After making the "going hot" clear to all there and confirming there was no one down range I say you were good to go. Ears-on is their responsibility, not yours. I think even the most ignorant would get the message once firing resumed.
I've been to Leeds a bunch. Most there are good about being safe but every once in a while I've been around an exception. Some folks just need reminding sometimes.

For those that asked - Leeds is a public range with no range officer.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
leeds is a free state owned range .

That's exactly why i am a member of CR-PC now. 300 yd outdoor range and 24/7 access to the indoor range.

was the brass thief ther ? I have seen him pick up brass while people where still shooting , i told him once to leave mine alone .
He was there. I have no problems with him. I told him day 1 that I would be keeping my own brass. Now when I get there he asks me wha I'm shooting and what I want to keep.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Agreed, I have done exactly this in the past. As John B. states, I'm there to shoot.

I would have approached them and said something like: "Hey guys, I'm getting ready to start shooting down here. You might want to go ahead and get your ears on". Then gone back, given them one last look to see if they were complying, then went about my business.

A word to the wise should be sufficient.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have never been to Leeds when that guy wasn't there.
Went a couple weeks go. He wasn't there. He will respect your request to leave your brass alone if you nicely approach him about it

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
You were beyond patient and too kind. I have done it before, at Leeds coincidentally; Once everyone agrees to go hot I look around and make sure everyone has their ears on before shooting. I usually shoots ARs with brakes and I know they're loud. If someone doesn't put their ears on after a minute or 2 and I'm literally waiting to shoot, I'll kindly get their attention and ask "Hey, we're hot, do you want to put your ears on before I shoot?" If they fail to do so within a minute I assume they could give two sh!ts about their hearing and I go about my business.

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
Like above--once you shouted "Range Hot" it is their responsibility to "ear up" if they want to. Nice of you to wait but not sure I would have. Etiquette works both ways. Sometimes I only have "X" amount of time to spend and want to get as much work in as possible. Even out at our farm I shoot as long as I want but if others are there we observe range rules. At our April gathering we have the ranges open constantly. Bring a trunk load of ammo and wear the berms out. We have fun shoots, accuracy comps, and blasting time. Bring your NV and go play after dark if you want.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.