Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Prehab
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is the reason for the rating system in the classified system? I have seen several items of good quality with low ratings. How can you rate an item that is being sold like that? If it has a rating system, post who rated it, and have them give a reason. Nutup or shutup.

·
SlayerNut - RIP
13,354 Posts
Are you talking about feedback or the threads rating?

Thread ratings are how folks feel about a thread (we have no control of that) and the feedback is completed deals (both good or bad).

·
Prehab
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Feedback is definitely a good thing...but the rating thing is kind of pointless(unless someone can point a reason out for trolling someones classified advertisement).

And BurnedOutGeek, thnx for the speedy reply. :D

·
Zombie Task Force
1,972 Posts
I had never noticed that before, but I can see where it might be useful. I had one transaction which I was the first on and the seller was a bit of newbie and sold it to someone who came along later. I cannot really rate the seller negative for inexperience, but certainly could rate the post. I had another where my offer was barely below the asking price ($5) and about what I could buy it elsewhere brand new delivered and the person rejected the offer. Again, no call to give a negative rating on a transaction which never occurred, and the person is certainly within their rights to hold the price absolute, but since the person was not willing to work with a fellow forum user I could see the thread rating being middle of the road or less. Again this person was a newbie to the forum and only uses CSC to sell, never participates in discussion. Maybe I should have offered full price and made sure our meeting place was somewhere far enough away to make them burn $5 in gas? ;)

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
I had never noticed that before, but I can see where it might be useful. I had one transaction which I was the first on and the seller was a bit of newbie and sold it to someone who came along later. I cannot really rate the seller negative for inexperience, but certainly could rate the post. I had another where my offer was barely below the asking price ($5) and about what I could buy it elsewhere brand new delivered and the person rejected the offer. Again, no call to give a negative rating on a transaction which never occurred, and the person is certainly within their rights to hold the price absolute, but since the person was not willing to work with a fellow forum user I could see the thread rating being middle of the road or less.

G

·
Well first off.. If an item is overpriced,bubbad or messed with I believe members have every right to rate the thread.
Since chit chat and openly talking about someones item is against the rules, this is a great way of helping other people steer to or from a certain item being sold.

I dont think anything should be changed because 1 or 2 people dislike something.. If I see a $500 91/30 in a monte carlo stock.. sorry but im going to give it 1 star. Simply because its a terrible buy and want to help unknowing/new members from buying it.
What exactly is the reason for the rating system in the classified system? I have seen several items of good quality with low ratings. How can you rate an item that is being sold like that? If it has a rating system, post who rated it, and have them give a reason. Nutup or shutup.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
I think the thread rating is a good feature. It in no way indicates buyer/seller transaction feedback. If someone has posted a very good deal it deserves 5 stars. If someone posts a 200 dollar gun for 1000, you simply rate the thread and move on. There is no disrespectful commenting in a thread that way.

The rating system is a way to keep sellers posts in line.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Well first off.. If your item is overpriced,bubbad or messed with I believe someone has every right to rate the thread.
Since chit chat and openly talking about someones item is against the rules I feel this is a great way of helping other people steer to or from a certain item being sold.

Personally I am tired of this forum being changed every couple of months because a couple of people whine about something.
Dont want a bad rating on your item? price it fairly.. sorry but if you are posting a bubbad mosin nagant 91/30 for $500 I am gonna give you one star.

Bring the feature back!!!
What you are suggesting is not that much different from ad stomping by posting in an ad. And in some ways, it's even more prone to abuse, because others can't see the rationale for the stomp (as they would when you post), they just see the low star rating.

What's to stop someone from giving a low star rating to a sale ad started by someone whom one has gotten into arguments with in the Minefield? Are you going to ask the mods to spend the time to police the star ratings given to ads??

If you don't like the prices at a store, do you stand outside holding a sign with a 1-star rating?

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
What you are suggesting is not that much different from ad stomping by posting in an ad. And in some ways, it's even more prone to abuse, because others can't see the rationale for the stomp (as they would when you post), they just see the low star rating. What's to stop someone from giving a low star rating to a sale ad started by someone whom one has gotten into arguments with in the Minefield? Are you going to ask the mods to spend the time to police the star ratings given to ads??
The community already does a good job at policing the ads. I have not seen the system abused in my entire time here. The only things I have seen rated 1 star or 5 stars where threads in the classifieds that deserved it. I have yet to see someones thread rated low because of something said in the minefield. I don't think it is happening, so there was no issue in the first place. The rating system is a good way to inform other potential buyers. If you don't want your stuff rated low, price it fair and give a good description.

And further more I have had very good transactions with people that I have argued with in the Minefield, business and politics are set aside. I am sure most of us would never rate a thread low because we do not like a person.

G

·
It hasnt been a problem yet? Well until now..

I think most of the members here are mature enough to not do something like that. I have had arguments with several people but I do not rate a thread based on that.. ever.

If people start abusing it then sure..

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
I have not seen the system abused in my entire time here. The only things I have seen rated 1 star or 5 stars where threads in the classifieds that deserved it.
I suspect that is because most people haven't even noticed the thread rating system. I've conducted numerous transactions as both buyer and seller, and I've never noticed it. If more people start using it, abuse is all but guaranteed. And not just in an ad stomping sense. Someone could have something overpriced and ask his buddy to give it a high rating.

The rating system is a good way to inform other potential buyers. If you don't want your stuff rated low, price it fair and give a good description.
And so the person looking at the ad passes judgment for all to see, but what if that person's view on fair value is wrong? Who is going to review that?

G

·
I will say this.. Gunboards(a forum that has about 20 times the membership and activity of ours) allows rating in the trader, has ever since that was available.

It has never been an issue, and things can get much wilder over there. The funny thing is the mods are a dictatorship over there so its quite amazing they allow us that.

If it aint broke dont fix it.
---

BTW I just gave this thread 1 star!

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
I suspect that is because most people haven't even noticed the thread rating system. I've conducted numerous transactions as both buyer and seller, and I've never noticed it. If more people start using it, abuse is all but guaranteed. And not just in an ad stomping sense. Someone could have something overpriced and ask his buddy to give it a high rating.
And so the person looking at the ad passes judgment for all to see, but what if that person's view on fair value is wrong? Who is going to review that?
Many places use it and it's not abused. Even Armslist has an overpriced option or Scam option. For someone to rate it to begin with would indicate it is a really bad deal or really good.

Think of this in a business aspect, if you don't want your store to receive bad rep, you price your stuff right and give good descriptions of items you are selling. You also provide good CS. If you don't, you get bad word of mouth and bad consumer reports. If we are not allowed to rate or talk about the items, well then you have shut the community up! There has been no abuse, and I doubt there would be. I find individuals on gun forums to be rather mature compared to other places.

Taking the thread rating away is shutting the consumers and the community up.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
If it aint broke dont fix it.
As I alluded to earlier, it ain't broke because a tiny fraction of the forum membership uses or is even aware of the thread rating system.

We know what works: If the seller leaves out information, you can ask for clarification (location, price, what's included, etc.).

Beyond that, if you're interested, but at a lower price, PM. If you wish to inform the seller his ask price is way off market, PM. And if you're not interested, just walk away. What could be simpler, or fairer?

Think of this in a business aspect, if you don't want your store to receive bad rep, you price your stuff right and give good descriptions of items you are selling. You also provide good CS. If you don't, you get bad word of mouth and bad consumer reports.
We have a system in place to give feedback on transactions. Why do we need feedback from window shoppers?

Taking the thread rating away is shutting the consumers and the community up.
Buyers are free to walk away and vote with their wallets! And if you see a seller bumping a thread many times and there is no interest, that tells you the community thinks the item is overpriced.

On a side note, I find it amusing that I am having this discussion with guys who fancy themselves libertarians! ;cf

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
On a side note, I find it amusing that I am having this discussion with guys who fancy themselves libertarians! ;cf
Because libertarians don't shut the community or consumers up, we believe in free market and free speech. :eek:

G

·
As I alluded to earlier, it ain't broke because a tiny fraction of the forum membership uses or is even aware of the thread rating system.

We know what works: If the seller leaves out information, you can ask for clarification (location, price, what's included, etc.).

Beyond that, if you're interested, but at a lower price, PM. If you wish to inform the seller his ask price is way off market, PM. And if you're not interested, just walk away. What could be simpler, or fairer?

We have a system in place to give feedback on transactions. Why do we need feedback from window shoppers?

Buyers are free to walk away and vote with their wallets! And if you see a seller bumping a thread many times and there is no interest, that tells you the community thinks the item is overpriced.

What do you mean? Libertarian means you believe in freedom.. that includes voting.

A perfect example is when a member sees a rifle they are interested in but know nothing about.. The seller has it way overpriced or its been changed in some form. Buyer sees the 1 star rating and ASKS QUESTIONS instead of just saying "i'll take it".

Again.. Gunboards and many other bigger forums than ours has this feature and it has never gotten out of hand.. Dont see that happening here.

·
Prehab
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
example is when a member sees a rifle they are interested in but know nothing about
This is the problem I have with it. Even if it is overpriced, it is up to the buyer to make that conclusion. I have purchased 2 rifles from fellow forum members that were easily below market value. The posts that the sellers had had been given a 1 star rating(by some nutless armchair aficionado). Said weapon were near new condition.

and

"if it ain't broke don't fix it"? If that was the case we'd all be throwing rocks instead of these damn fine lead slingers. It's all about refinement. :D

I think we are beating a dead horse though. Think soreshoulder is gonna do the surgery.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.