Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys build and fly RC planes? I have a nice plane I built several years ago but it is still in NY at a buddies house. Was thinking about having it shipped down but I do not really know how to fly it lol.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fly some rc planes. I do electric only. Its pretty fun stuff. Get a flight simulator or you will crash.
Lol, I know. I only flew it twice with assistance. I was hooked up to a buddy box and to be quite honest I was being overridden more time than I was actually flying. For what its worth, I was told that it flew very well. Because I often do things that fly in the face of reason, I built a low wing sport plane for my first model. Hey, at least it looks nice.

It's a Goldberg Tiger 2

The plane in the picture is not mine. I used the trike/steerable nose gear configuration.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I just built a custom stryker with 80mm EDF.... It didn't last long. It was super fast, especially when heading straight into the ground at 90+mph

I fly a T-28 Trojan now. It's very reliable and crash resilient. It's not the fastest or best looking, but it's good to practice with. It's a good first time flyer.

If you wanna head down and fly sometime let me know. I can fly the Trojan in small open areas.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will take you up on that at some point. I would like to build a trainer when I have some time. Personally, I find the kit build satisfying in and of itself. I spent quite a bit on time on that Tiger 2 and it came out perfect. I will probably go with glow fuel for my trainer as well. I do not think I will have time to fly enough to justify a good electric setup.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I fly some rc planes. I do electric only. Its pretty fun stuff. Get a flight simulator or you will crash.
What he said. I also fly electric. Get a simulator. If the budget is tight Hobbypartz.com has some flight sim software. It's likely not as good as Realflight, but it's not near as expensive either. A few hours on that and you should be good to go. I'd factor in a little wind on the flight sim just to accurately represent what you may be flying in. With a plane that size I'd make sure I was in a big open field.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I have a parkzone T-28 which is that size, however it does not have retractable landing gear. I wouldn't get anything w/ retracts or flaps for your first plane. you start adding channels and it starts getting expensive real fast! You'll also experience some hard landings so be prepared for all those moving parts to bang around and possibly fall off....

I have put a bigger battery and more powerful motor in my plane. It will doo loops, rolls, and fly inverted as well. I need to get a new fuselage and wings for mine. They have taken a beating and now that I'm a decent flyer it'll be good to dress it up it a bit.

I can't tell you how much time I flew on a simulator before I really started flying. I flew a few sessions simulated and thought I knew what I was doing and talked my buddy into flying one of his jets.... lets just say I bought a jet that day.... and one that I really couldn't use at all since it was in more than a few pieces.

I went back to the simulator. You need to get to where you react when something happens, it needs to be second nature or you'll find out quick that gravity, plus a plane that has 3000 grams of thrust going straight down equals really fast....

I've also got a 3 channel trainer that I fly every now and then. It's super lightweight and good for a quick fix, I can fly it around my neighborhood, it just doesn't do well in wind. It's a good little first time flyer and cheap so I don't feel bad if it gets crashed by a friend or newb.

·
Innocent Bystander
1,430 Posts
Very cool, I had a Trammax truck, but always wanted an aircraft. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am slowly getting into RC Flight; there are several clubs in the carolinas which would gladly welcome a new pilot and teach you how to fly safely. From my experience guns are a much cheaper hobby ;)

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
The heli's are hard to fly! I have a Blade in the attic thats broken, will rebuild at some point. Time on simulator is well spent. The newer heli's have built in gyroscopes that I've heard are easier to fly as well. There's supposed to be a free field close to Fuquay for planes and heli's.Good luck and I highly recommend time on a simulator for whatever you fly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Back in the day I built and few sailplanes, did the competition thing sucked at it, but had a blast. I was working on my LSF and made level 4. Did a little bit of power stuff, but I was hooked on the sailplanes. The local club fell apart which sort of slowed stuff down as they had all the winches and retrievers. I started getting into helicopters when I was in school. Spent a lot of time on trainers with that, got to the point I could hover and do simple maneuvers, started messing with the gun thing and have not gone back. I seem to have a hard time finding balance. Good thing I don't drink or experience other libations.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.