recipies for 45 acp | Carolina Shooters Club

recipies for 45 acp

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by pennywise, Jun 30, 2009.

1. pennywise

pennywise Registered Member

anyone have a good recipie for blue dot or clays for 45 acp?
    my pistol is a 3.5" CCP and the rounds I use are 230 fmj's. I was given some blue dot and some clays powder and I have everything else so I want to make some bullets. what ya got?

2. DanM

DanM Registered Member

I have used blue dot for heavy 250+ grain bullets in .45acp with some success. I don't remember the numbers, but with 230s, I am sure that a case full to the bottom of the bullet, or even slightly compressed would be fine. You won't get full velocity with BD, as it is a little slow for 230s in .45acp. There will be a lot of unburned powder left in the barrel, which is no big deal if you clean regularly. Clays is not a bad choice for a medium power load with 230s. You should not try to duplicate GI ball velocity with 230s and clays. Probably 750-800fps would be all you can do without going overpressure. If you want 'hard ball' equivlant loads, (850+ with 230s) try W231 or H. TiteGroup first. Start with the Loads shown on the Hodgdon site:http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp If you don't have a chronograph, get one soon....
    EDIT: I reread your post, and I see you are loading for a OM. Sans chrono, use the Hodgdon data, and work up till you get good function, and stop there. These numbers are for a 5".

3. woodyolin1

woodyolin1 Registered Member

I shoot 185 gr bullet out of my commander with tite group powder. Seems to keep the recoil down and still have good preformance down range.

4. mechdriver

mechdriver New Member

4 gns red dot behind 230 lead or fmj.
    accurate and not too hot so it's still fun to shoot.

5. pennywise

thanks guys. i will find some use for the blue dot since I opened the can. anyone wanna trade some blue dot for something useful for loading 45? I live in Raeford.....

6. DanM

DanM Registered Member

Blue dot is good in .44 magnum. Do you have one of those yet?

7. pennywise

nope but I have a friend that does. thanks for the help...

8. Hunter

Hunter Staff Writer

Do you have a loading manual?

9. pennywise

I use the manufacturers info online. The blue dot and clays were just too light. I gather from shooting the loads the guys were using these powders/ 45 rounds for race type guns and fast shooting , since the accuracy was very nice but the "kick" was too light to cycle my 3.5 1911. So I switched to w231 and will give that a whirl, also I am going to try titegroup.

10. fenderfreek

fenderfreek Registered Member

What charge weight are you using for clays? I've had it cycle 1911's just fine.

11. pennywise

4.0 gn

12. DanM

DanM Registered Member

Those published loads are very conservative. You never get the speed that is listed for the load. You should be able to get your OM to cycle reliably with 230s and clays without going over the top in pressure. It will be harder to come up with a load for your OM than for a 1911. First, all published data for .45acp is tested in a 5" barrel, so speeds will be lower in your OM. Second, the OM platform is sometimes more 'picky or finicky' with loads than full size pistols. Many prefer a hotter load than needed in a 1911. I use 5.3gr of TiteGroup with 230gr cast bullets. Gives 860+ in the 5". Works well in my 1911 and in the OM.

13. pennywise

Thanks for the data.. I will give it a try in my next set of reloads, I just picked up a can of titegroup.