Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with first hand experience? Thinking of getting new barrel for my gen4 27 so I can load and shoot some lead. I have a hard time believing all the KB stories. If im using lonewolf/storm lake barrel I should be fine right.

I currently reload for. 223 and want to start some pistol rounds. I'm thinking I may be better off forgetting the .40 and getting a glock 30. .45 makes sense because my brother already loads .45, but i just love my 27. So.....should i keep it and reload .40 or ditch it and go with. 45?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
40 is cheaper than 45 both fun to shoot both got pros and cons you do what you want it's you shooting it
I just started loading for pistol as well and it was kinda a PITA on a single stage press but
It's not to hard to figure out if you know someone to give ya a hand even better

The after market barrels like lone wolf can shoot lead and fully support the shell in the chamber look around online and make sure it's what you want the description should tell you all about lead or no lead

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I'd say load 'em up. Keep your pressure's down by not using max loads and keeping the OAL long enough. If you're reloading ALL for your glock, the "glock bulge" shouldn't be a big issue. The EGW "U" die for .40 will take out most of your bulges and not otherwise change your reloading steps...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Do it. I shoot quit a bit of IDPA and Im one of the few shooting .40 which I reload. Granted Im not shooting cast anymore as I use to cast my own but I simply ran out of time. I used a LW barell in both my G22 and G27 with no issues. To be honest, I would'nt be scared to shoot cast through my stock barell, I just would'nt go as long between cleanings as I do using FMJ. A mixture of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and white vinigar makes quick work of getting lead out of a barell.

·
Registered
325 Posts
With already loading 223, depending on your press, no primer size change to load 40. For 45, have to change to large primer setup. Lots of guys have two presses for this reason, small primer press to do 9, 40 and 223, large primer press for 45 and 308 for example.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've shot plenty of lead bullets in Glocks. Just keep your charges a little lighter and keep an eye out for leading. Glock rifling tends to pick up more lead than conventional rifling. After enough lead buildup pressures will rise and the bullets may keyhole on the target. Clean the bore a little more frequently especially if your alloy is soft.

·
Registered
215 Posts
bigtig,
Like sheepdog, I've shot a lot of cast bullets in my Glock 23 (.40 S&W). In fact that's about all I shoot in it. I use the factory barrel and have had zero problems. I clean any leading that develops by using copper "Chore Boy" wrapped tightly around a bronze bore brush, with some Kroil. 10 strokes and the lead is gone.

Lou

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.