Reloading help for a beginner | Carolina Shooters Club

Reloading help for a beginner

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Tyson77, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Tyson77

Tyson77 Member

Good afternoon everyone, I would like to get into reloading (mainly rifle) and I am a complete novice, if there is anyone around the triangle area of North Carolina that would be willing to show me the ropes I would greatly appreciate it. I have been researching articles and video online but I seem to have questions that most breeze over.

Thanks
    Tyson77

2. SeabeeChief

SeabeeChief Registered Member

You are going about it the right way. Keep looking. In person in the way to learn. Im a little too far from you

Tyson77 likes this.
  3. ammoaddict

ammoaddict Registered Member

What kind of questions do you have?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

4. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

I'm too far away for in person help too but, I HIGHLY recommend you find a copy of "ABC's of Reloading". I taught myself with it and a couple loading manuals. In person is great to if you can someone.

CS

5. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Also, the NRA offers a basic class in reloading. Here are some that are currently scheduled in NC....
    Screenshot_20220110-225447_Chrome.jpg

6. Tyson77

Tyson77 Member

Thanks I will definitely check out that book.

Thanks while I’m not a fan of the nra as a whole, I will look into those classes

7. dh2

dh2 Registered Member

I am an hour from you put more than willing to show you the ropes , I hope that you can find some one closer.

SeabeeChief and Tyson77 like this.
  8. Steve Vedell

Steve Vedell Registered Member

I am in Cary and reload 5.56 nato. Next time I load some up, I'd be happy to have you looking over my shoulder. Just out of H335 right now. Can let you know next time I am reloading.

Tyson77 and ammoaddict like this.
  9. ammoaddict

What is your main reason for reloading? Accuracy for hunting or competitive shooting or just weekend plinking? If you are reloading to save money, you won't even break even unless you do a lot of shooting.
    You will need at least a good single stage press, priming tool, if you press doesn't have that feature. Digital powder scale, calipers, primer pocket tool, some way to clean your brass, I use a virbatory tumbler. Case lube. Several load data books. Safety glasses. I'm sure I left something out. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Follow published load data.

10. Tyson77

Tyson77 Member

That would be perfect thanks, I’ll send you a pm with my contact info.

11. Tyson77

Tyson77 Member

Thank you for the reply, main reason right off the bat would be a combination of the above, accuracy for hunting and just developing loads for different rifles to optimize performance.

12. fsj80

fsj80 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Frontline Defense in Warrenton has a Intro to Reloading class they teach (actually have one this Saturday but it looks like it is full).

SkydivnShooter and Tyson77 like this.
  13. Tyson77

Tyson77 Member

I’ve been meaning to get up there and check that place out.

Thanks for the info!

fsj80 likes this.
  14. ammoaddict

The rcbs rock chucker press is as tough as they come. I started with the cheap Lee single press back in the late 80s. I still have it and it still works fine.

Tyson77 likes this.
  15. 45/70hunter

45/70hunter Registered Member

Get a bolt action rifle and a Lee Classic reloader kit. Easy to use and detailed instructions. A great way to learn for little money. I use one in 22/250 and 30/06. It's slow but makes accurate ammo. It neck sizes only so stick with new brass or brass only fired in your rifle.

Tyson77 likes this.
  16. ammoaddict

The rcbs rock chucker press is as tough as they come. I started with the cheap Lee single press back in the late 80s. I still have it and it still works fine.

17. 98cwitr

98cwitr Registered Member

I'm in Clayton. PM me.

Tyson77 likes this.
  18. herr_cobblermachen

herr_cobblermachen Registered Member

I'm agreement in what everyone has said above.
    No better way to learn than with someone there to help.

My thoughts, briefly.

Start out with a single stage press (I started with a progressive, the pro 1000 of all things and sheesh-! Wished id started with a single).

Get a good digital scale, and strangely enough, they need time to climitize and warm up to do consistent reads. Also, calibrate it! $40~

Get a solid caliper. Makes worlds of difference and you can't reload without one. Theyre not included in any reloading set. $30~

A notebook. Write down all you see and hear and what you load. There's a ton of weird stuff out there that you need to note- Someone's gonna ask you ten years from now to load some 6.5carcano that you have no memory of.

As said, a hand priming tool. Never trusted the press to do them right. They're not perfect but most work pretty good. Like with reloading cartridges themselves, you're gonna wind up with a few botched primers now and again. $40~

Reloading book. Sometimes two by different companies is good. Can't really reload without them. Need to pick up a new edition every couple years as they introduce new powders, and powders can subtly change in short notice. $25~

Case lube. Seldom comes with reloading sets. They say you dont need to lube cases with carbide dies but I beg to differ, especially full length necked cases. Had quite a time beating the case out of a sizing die a few years ago. I tried all the gimmicks (and the case was lubed!).

A solid reloading table. You don't have to buy it or anything but if you got something wobbly or a lot of give it makes for a miserable time and causes other issues, kinda like limp wristing.

Lastly, although i wouldn't consider it a necessity, I wished I'd have wet tumbled my brass from the git gitgo, even without the stainless steel pins. A few water spots here and there don't bother me. Brass is always way cleaner than the tumble & cob (yes yes it has it's place).

Because you CAN use a powder (or max load) for something doesn't mean you should.
    You can mix and match your various loading tools often, you don't have to be an x, y, or z fanboy.
    Coffee cans are more valuable than the coffee inside.
    Damn you Blazer for making small primer 45s.
    380/9x18 looks an awwwful lot like 9mm sometimes.

Wish I'd known all that from the beginning. My personal reflections. Buy the complete series on VHS or audio cassette :)

Tyson77 likes this.
  19. Gary Crispens

Gary Crispens Registered Member

I am over in Durham near the Eno River State Park and have been reloading many rifle calibers for over 40 years and can assist.
    What calibers and what guns will you be reloading for?
    Thanks,
    Gary

20. SeabeeChief

SeabeeChief Registered Member

Bought my rock chucker in 1974 and its still loading perfectly accurate ammo and just as tight as the day it was new

21. Chad84

Chad84 Registered Member

I'm in NC about 30 minutes east of Charlotte NC and I have alot of spent bass in multiple different calibers if you are interested in them for when you start reloading? I'm not trying to get alot for them and don't want to scrap them either because I know that someone could use them. I have around 5 15lb bags of assorted brass and if you want them make a offer in cash or trade for ammo or accessories.

22. Gary Crispens

Gary Crispens Registered Member

I have used an RCBS ROCK CHUCKER single stage press for over 40 years.
    It is affordable and just plain gets the job done.
    Particularly for rifle calibers where volumes are low.

23. Tyson77

Tyson77 Member

Thanks guys for all the input, sorry for not replying quicker. The covid bug decided to show up at my house so we are dealing with that.

I will pm the couple of local guys shortly thanks for all the advice

Tyson77

24. SourwoodTom

SourwoodTom Registered Member

Great on all point, but disagree on PRO1000

I've used pro 1000s for years, actually 3 decades. Bought and sold an 850, a 550, and qn RCBS progressive. Have five 1000s on an 18 ft bench in the gun room. 9/40 on one, 38/357 on one, 45acp on one, 45lc on one, 41mag on the last. All for less than the 850 with one caliber change.

Gotta understand how it works, especially the priming mechanism, and you must be a bit mechanically inclined, but a couple of my presses have loaded tens of thousands of rounds.

Don't use progressives for 223, as I can't see down into the case to see powder level, which I visually check on every round. Use Lee single stage.

25. herr_cobblermachen

herr_cobblermachen Registered Member

No disrespect to the pro1000 or progressives :), it was just too much when i first started out. A benefactor sent me a brand new Load Master and I've used it ever since. Lol, "must be a bit mechanically inclined" agreed. Each progressive has a bit of a trade off, has its own little gimmicks and bugs. The paddle on the Load Master drives me nuts from time to time, but its the shell plate nut, or the one on the very bottom by the spent primer hole that's generally to blame. It's a machine, and they got their things. Wished I'd started out with the 4 hole turret press or something, but now that I know the Load Master pretty good. I do straight wall pistol cases mostly, and if I went to doing more rifle I'd probably get a diff press: single/turret.

Yeah, I'll get me one of those LED kits to see down the case mouths, but some are too narrow or too long etc. I use the hornady powder cop, has a plunger that checks the powder level with a stem that sticks out of the top of the die. It needs a little light, or buzzer or something though, sometimes you get in the flow. But I look down the case and use the powder cop both. Squibs are the devil.

I like priming by hand, gives me a chance to review the cases more closely, and takes another point of failure out of the progressive cycling. That whole Lee blast plate thing doesn't give me a whole lotta confidence. More tactile feel on the more delicate bit :D.