Reloading in the garage??? | Carolina Shooters Club

Reloading in the garage???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Wellison, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Wellison

Wellison Registered Member

Anyone here have to reload in their garage? I had a spare bedroom in our old house for my setup. But now that we’re in the upstate of SC I don’t have that luxury. Of course the garage isn’t air conditioned or heated so even if I keep my powder and primers in the house I still worry about rust and dirt on my equipment. How do you deal with this? Or am I making a big deal for nothing. BTW the wife still parks her car in the garage so the door goes up and down often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

My set up has been in the garage, for years. I keep it covered with a tarp when I'm not using it.

Same deal with wife's car.

Have a little bit of surface rust to deal with but nothing I can't live with.

Wellison likes this.
  3. hazmt

hazmt Registered Member

Same for me. My reloading setup has been in the garage for the last 20 years. No real issues.

Wellison and SkydivnShooter like this.
  4. Wellison

Good to hear it’s not a big deal. Thanks!

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  5. John H

John H Registered Member

I've only reloaded in the garage for 20 years. I do not keep my primers and powder there, I keep them in the house.

SkydivnShooter and Wellison like this.
  6. hagar

hagar Registered Member

No, too hot. Get a couple of Lee hand presses and reload in comfort.

7. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Just curious but I have reloaded 58,899 rounds in my garage since 18-November-2007 without any degradation of performance that I could attribute to reloading in my garage.

I can appreciate that some folks like to reload in the house but for those of us whose situations require us to reload in the garage, does anyone have any data or experience to suggest that degradation of performance occurs due to loading the garage? Has anyone had any malfunctions that you could attribute to reloading in the garage? Again, just tryna learn.

8. Soils Man

Soils Man Registered Member

Nope...just the nut pulling the handle. I keep my powder and primers there but usually in mostly air tight containers well capped with desiccant packs and have so far had no issues in 15+ years that I can directly attribute to the garage situation. Unfortunately due to the expansive nature of my (illness)...I mean hobby, the family won't let me take up that much space in the house.

Only issue I seem to have is a bit of tarnishing on previously cleaned brass and light surface rusting on the dies/handles periodically.

9. JimP42

JimP42 Bitter Clinger Club Subscribed

No issues in my garage. I might have sweated into an open case or two over the years...

10. AJoldfart

AJoldfart Registered Member

FIY. You should consult your insurance provider about you reloading location on your property.

11. Wellison

That’s a great idea that I hadn’t thought of. Thanks!

12. AJoldfart

AJoldfart Registered Member

On the wife's car?

13. Wellison

I think he mans that his wife parks in the garage like mine. Which means the garage door goes up nearly every day letting in dust.

AJoldfart and SkydivnShooter like this.
  14. johnp

johnp Registered Member

We redid our homeowners insurance back at the start of the year. I was talking with my agent about my guns and that I reload. She said they didn't care a thing about the reloading, that it was not a risk in their eyes. Other carries may be concerned, but mines not.

AJoldfart likes this.
  15. Zapata72

Zapata72 Registered Member

16. Zapata72

Zapata72 Registered Member

I started out loading in the garage. First thing I did was to move gas water heater out of garage. I had all my equipment in a suitcase and carried everything to garage.

AJoldfart likes this.
  17. Quag

Quag Registered Member

we leave our cars outside. if its real hot I leave the door to the garage from our laundry room open and run AC as normal. Then I use fans on the reloading bench. I also generally reload at night. Its not perfect but I stay comfortable. I store my powder/primers in a plastic tool tub with desiccant in it. No issues for any ammo, reloading supplies. Also put a portable fire extinguisher on the side of the reloading bench.

18. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

My situation is even worse. I do my loading in my outbuilding and have for about 15 yrs. I also store most of my ammo out there. No heat and only been running a window unit out there for the last 2 Summers and it's set on 80! I've never had any issues due to loading or storage conditions. A guy once gave me a brick f shotgun primers and 3/4 of a pound of powder that had been in his attic for almost 20years. I was a little worried about it because of the extreme temps of an attic. I loaded a few test rounds and all went bang and velocities were about what the loading manuals said they should be. I used the rest in competition with no problems. I'm sure a climate controlled environment is more ideal but it's not the end of the world if you don't have it.

CS

EDIT:
    I just remembered an incident where there was an issue. I was loading some one Winter evening an fired up the wood stove that's about 6ft from the loading bench. Everything was going well until POW. Evidently, a primer had somehow found it's way over to and on top of the wood stove. No fire, just a loud POP, all ammo and powder was still good but it did cost me my favorite pair of underwear!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    SkydivnShooter likes this.
  19. Crunchy Frog

Crunchy Frog Registered Member

I’m also in Upstate SC and I’ve been reloading in my garage for many years. No issues with components. I use a portable heater or a fan when the temps are extreme.

One of my presses is a Hornady progressive. One criticism I have of Hornady is that their steel parts are very prone to surface rust. I keep cloth covers on my presses.

20. JimB

JimB Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I suggest keeping your powders in the garage. Taking from the colder dry house out to the muggy garage will theoretically cause them to absorb a lot of humidity, more than if they were up to temp. Probably never mater.

21. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

I can see where storing powder in side and bringing it out for loading session could cause condensation inside the container. Might matter when you really need it most, may not ever matter.

CS