Remmington mod 41 targetmaster | Carolina Shooters Club

Remmington mod 41 targetmaster

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by auslander, Sep 11, 2014.

1. auslander

auslander Registered Member

Poking around in the gunroom and saw it sitting there. Three generations of my family learned to shoot on that little rifle. Now shes all worn out with not a bit of rifling left and pitted metal. Lots of good memories with that one. Wouldnt sell it for a million though. Anybody else have an heirloom rimfire they love?

2. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

Yep. A Remington 41 Targetmaster.

3. auslander

auslander Registered Member

I looked mine up online it seems it was made in 1938 IIRC. Grandfather bought it at a hardware store I remember him telling me that. Wish it could talk!

4. RFMan

RFMan Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Another Remington Model 41 Targetmaster :)

Plus a Remington 550-1 tube-fed semi that shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle.

obx22 likes this.
  5. NoKimberDave

NoKimberDave Off to Greener Pastures Club Subscribed

I have a 1909 Remmy model 12 from my grandad.

It's lovely and shoots well. Will never get rid of it.

6. angerhater

angerhater Member

I have a mod 41-p from 1937, and my moms old high standard supermatic citation

obx22 likes this.
  7. spittinfire

spittinfire Well-Known Member

I've got a 41 Targetmaster I would love to shoot but it's missing the bolt.

8. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

How do you like that rifle? I've always shot Marlin tube autos but that Rem 550 always looked good to me. I wondered how it handled shorts.

obx22 likes this.
  9. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'm starting a tradition... at least I hope so anyways. My mother never was one for guns, took my BB gun away when I was 16 actually. So I'm hoping to pass along a few classics to my son. Mosin Sniper, M1 carbine, M1 Garand, etc. He'll have a henry 22 at some point to hold on to as well once he gets a bit older. Hard to wait but the little guy just turns one next week so it'll be just a bit.

10. ERE99

ERE99 Member

Remington M34 that was my grandfather`s. Frosty bore with 2 rings, no bluing left, stock in decent shape. I`ve killed a ton of squirrels with it, lol

If anyone is near Hickory, I`ve got a 41 on consignment at Ledford`s Trading Post, and he just got a beautiful 41-P in today.......

11. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Remy 31(I think). Belonged to my father. Will belong to my son one day.

12. RedneckFur

RedneckFur Well-Known Member

I've got an old Winchester Model 62A pump action that was my grandfathers, and then my fathers. It became mine when my father passed. Not a bit of bluing left on it, and most of the metal is pitted. But the internals are clean, and the bore is good. Grandpa kept it in the barn for shooting rats, hunting squirrels, and teaching his boys how to shoot.

Also have the K98 Mauser and Luger that my Great Uncle brought back from Germany during WW2. Neither is for sale.

Have my father's Thompson contender pistol, with 22 and 357 barrels, and his his winchester 30-30. Its an odd model, with flip-up tang sight, 24" barrel, and a hooked metal buttplate. It took me ages to actually shoot it because I was terrified I'd put a mark on it. Dad kept it perfect. Even today, when I hold it, I don't feel like I'm handling one of my guns, I feel like a little boy, getting to handle my dad's rifle. I feel his presence every time I touch it.

obx22 likes this.
  13. RFMan

RFMan Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I actually like it a lot. I am debating refinishing the stock. The sights are peep sights; I'm fixing to turn 50, so they are starting to be harder to use. having a 24" barrel helps, though. A shallow grooved dovetail is on there in case it gets too bad :)

Disassembly and reassembly for full cleaning of the floating chamber can be challenging, but it is not much more so than the Marlin 60. I have one of those too.

This particular one handles everything fine. I have not had longs to put in it, but I have put a box of shorts through it with no issues. I have not yet mixed the two in the magazine. I inherited this rifle from my grand-dad, and shot it without a detailed cleaning...and the shorts cycled fine. I was surprised by my accuracy with it :D I think it's great.

Oh, and shorts are VERY quiet out of a 24" barrel...

14. rodney1968

rodney1968 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have a target master, killed numerous groundhogs with it. all f a sudden last year started not firing, it snaps but sounds weak. I just put it in the closet dad gave it to me many years ago.

15. ronn47

ronn47 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Have you cleaned the bolt?
    It may be full of crud stopping the firing pin.
    Or the firing pin may be worn down or broke.

16. rodney1968

no I have not cleaned it but I will try that. I was thinking maybe the spring was wore out or something

17. rodney1968

thanks it seems to be working now, I think the bolt was unscrewed a little tightened it up works for now

18. JavaTee

JavaTee Member

I'll post up for a friend/co-worker. He allowed me to clean his grandfathers Winchester model 67 single shot bolt action rifle. The bore was/is clean with good rifling, with a few small spots of bluing starting to wear through, and the stock has some handling marks (which it should for a 1935-36 era shooter). He brought it out during a recent time at a friends house. It's still has a smooth trigger, and is a very capable shooter.

Later, T.J.

19. got2hav1

got2hav1 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Remington 510 Targetmaster 1945 . My brothers and I learned to shoot on this old single shot.