Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Font Handwriting Paper Parallel

Recently I purchased a Streamlight TLR-1S weaponlight from a member of CSF for use on my home defense gun, a Gen. 3 Glock 19. Normally these are retailing online for ~$110 depending on the distributor -- I nabbed mine very lightly used for $80. Let me first say one thing: this thing is awesome.

Streamlight sells several iterations of this weaponlight, including the barebones TLR-1 (simple, 135 lumen on/off), the TLR-1S (same brightness with an added strobe function), TLR-2 with integrated laser, TLR-2S with added strobe function, lower profile TLR-3, and several other variations. I opted for the TLR-1S for simplicity, and to stay cost effective on a fairly inexpensive weapons system. The light comes with several "keys" for use with Picatinny, Weaver, and other common rail systems. There is a Glock-specific key which installed quickly with an allen wrench and adapts the light for use with many of the common polymer weapons systems.

The light uses two of the now customary CR123A lithium batteries, which are sealed into the anodized body via a nice latching rear door, with a hearty O-ring to seal out moisture. Battery life is fantastic and brightness is extremely good, with a nice bright spot pattern that easily illuminates the entire room, with a brilliant spot that is well suited for fast acquisition. The light is actuated via the paddles located roughly 1/4" on either side of the trigger guard. The left paddle provides momentary on/off, and if double-tapped activates the strobe function at a frequency of roughly 8-10Hz. The right paddle, when depressed, clicks on and provides a constant beam.

The light is very low profile, sitting roughly flush with the bottom of the trigger guard, and the bezel extends 1/2" to 3/4" past the muzzle, depending on the barrel and dust cover length of the weapon system. It is lightweight and if anything, aids slightly in muzzle flip due to the added mass below the barrel.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the light. There are only two minor drawbacks I see. The first is simply due to the fact that I currently have the light attached to a compact weapons system. The lens tends to cloud quickly with residue, especially if firing "dirty" ammunition. As the light really doesn't see much use when mounted to the weapon, this isn't much of an issue and is really more of a normal occurrence. The tempered glass lens cleans up with just a quick wipe, and doesn't scratch easily at all.

The second issue comes when the light is stored in a bag. The momentary paddles are easily actuated, and I have arrived at the range more than once to find that the light has been on in my bag for several hours and has drained the batteries. This problem is solved simply by removing the batteries when the light is transported, or by storing it in a case or area where there will be no pressure on the light.

I give the Streamlight TLR-1S a 4.5/5 for a fantastic, multipurpose weaponlight with a great price tag.

Attachments

·
Teacher of the Craft
8,069 Posts
I have the same light at the 12 o'clock on my A-15 in front of the front sight post. I love this light.

·
Disposable apparently
12,243 Posts
I have one of the older plain jane TLR-1 models (minus strobe) that has given good service for years. I've had a couple others at times too and sold/traded them for other stuff. They all worked well too they just became surplus as needs and wants changed.

Question for those in the know. What purpose does the strobe function serve? I'm assuming it's to disorient someone, but to me it seems like the disco-strobe effect would be disorienting to the user as well. What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know, it's honestly not that bad as long as you're not staring into the beam. For the most part it doesn't hurt your vision any worse than the steady beam.

Its original purpose, while making you look awesome and disco-fied is a perk, was indeed to disorient the threat.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm not against weapon mounted lights...I just don't see a purpose for them at work. When I wrote the new policy for our new pistols I kept having visions of some untrained person doing this to a suspect. Can you imagine the fallout?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't caught myself pulling one of those yet. Have a Streamlight Stylus Pro that stays in my pocket for when I need lumes but no booms.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
A little insider info, if you like the TLR series, Streamlight is going to be releasing a newer version sometime this summer I think. The TLR 4 which will be a smaller (about 3/4 the size), lighter, version that is just as bright, if not brighter than the current series lights. The "S" (strobe) feature should be available for this as well. To my knowledge, a laser version isn't in the works just yet.

Keep yer eyes out for this one. I like it a lot.

Oh, and if anyone asks, you didn't hear it from me.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little insider info, if you like the TLR series, Streamlight is going to be releasing a newer version sometime this summer I think. The TLR 4 which will be a smaller (about 3/4 the size), lighter, version that is just as bright, if not brighter than the current series lights. The "S" (strobe) feature should be available for this as well. To my knowledge, a laser version isn't in the works just yet.

Keep yer eyes out for this one. I like it a lot.

Oh, and if anyone asks, you didn't hear it from me.
TLR-4's been on their website for a while. ;) But no, I didn't hear it from ya!

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
TLR-4's been on their website for a while. ;) But no, I didn't hear it from ya!
Maybe it was the 4S or the L series that I was playing with. Been a couple of weeks now. I have a bad time with short term memory. Couldn't tell ya what I had for lunch today, but I could tell a joke I heard 25 years ago.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe it was the 4S or the L series that I was playing with. Been a couple of weeks now. I have a bad time with short term memory. Couldn't tell ya what I had for lunch today, but I could tell a joke I heard 25 years ago.
Oh believe me, I'm the same way. I'm far too young to have the memory of a goldfish.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
I'll just add 2 things to the discussion.

1. I was concerned about reliability so I put several hundred rounds through it hanging off my glock 19 and another several hundred rounds through it while mounted on my AR. It still works great.

2. I feel the strobe feature is useless. A great idea with really poor execution. It takes too much fine motor skill to activate under stress.

Attachments

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
Question for those in the know. What purpose does the strobe function serve? I'm assuming it's to disorient someone, but to me it seems like the disco-strobe effect would be disorienting to the user as well. What am I missing here?
Activating the strobe temporarily while you shoot, move and light it up again would be disorienting IMO...but IMO getting rounds downrange is more important.

I've shot it at night and it isn't disorienting for the shooter, at least not for me. Like I said, it requires too much fine motor skills to activate IMHO. You have to press, release and press again quickly. In a stressful situation, simply hitting the switch at all is a challenge IMHO.

Now If you'll excuse me, I'm going to stop talking about shooting and go shoot.;guntoot

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
I don't use the strobe feature, however I still recommend the "s" model as it has a brighter output. The strobe feature can be disabled which is nice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.