Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5" model maybe 400 rounds through it at most

vz operator 2 grips

one standard mag, 3 wilson combat etm 8 rounders

one summer heat wild bills concealment holster

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Sell the stuff separately and you will get more but probably about $475ish
Depending on wear, but NJSC is probably pretty close.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
They're only $445 new. I'd sell it at $400 and hope for the best. Sell the other stuff separate. The good thing that you have going for you is that they are hard to find. Buds just received some last week and they're sold out again.

On a side note, I just picked one up. Rock Island has awesome customer service. The previous owner buggered a few things up and I called to get the right part numbers. They sent out the parts under warranty despite the fact that I clearly stated that I was the second owner and that obviously a drunken monkey with a tool set was the cause of the malfunctions. I was like "No, seriously...take my credit card number, this isn't Armscor's fault."

Customer service so good that I felt dirty and like I took advantage of them.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
They're only $445 new. I'd sell it at $400 and hope for the best. Sell the other stuff separate. The good thing that you have going for you is that they are hard to find. Buds just received some last week and they're sold out again.

On a side note, I just picked one up. Rock Island has awesome customer service. The previous owner buggered a few things up and I called to get the right part numbers. They sent out the parts under warranty despite the fact that I clearly stated that I was the second owner and that obviously a drunken monkey with a tool set was the cause of the malfunctions. I was like "No, seriously...take my credit card number, this isn't Armscor's fault."

Customer service so good that I felt dirty and like I took advantage of them.
$445 is an excellent price, and if you can find one new at that price I would suggest getting it. I would consider getting another at that price, if the fun money account were a little more stocked.

Now if we're talking used, you can find some better deals. I bought one here off the forum with 3 mags(1 ACT, 1 Wilson, 1 Colt), Hogue grips, and a few rounds of .45 for $400. That was a good deal as it has become harder and harder to come across a good condition RIA GI much less a Tactical, and the GIs are going for right around $400, which is close to list price. If he's going to sell as is, I wouldn't start out a penny less than $450, but would probably start at $475. You may take a little less but you at least have a starting point to begin.

As far as RIA customer service, you are spot on. I had previously bought a High Standard/Armscor 1911 that was an absolute joy to shoot. Worst mistake I made was selling it. I finally located a Rock Island Tactical 1911 that I purchased. The pistol I bought was practically new so I called about correcting a couple issues, hoping for a replacement part, and they all but begged me to send it in and let them go through it. After a few weeks I get a call that there is a more serious defect and the gun needs to be replaced. I agreed and they threw in their customary extras. The gun I received back was much tighter and I look forward to shooting it, a bunch. I would not hesitate in any way to buy a Rock Island firearm.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I have seem them nib for 415. Little army surplus store in high point. That being said I haven't been looking at them for a while. 1911s are like custom cars and Harley Davidsons. A lot of the people that are looking for one don't want it already tricked out. They would prefer to make the mods themselves. And you never get out it, what you put in.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
I have seem them nib for 415. Little army surplus store in high point. That being said I haven't been looking at them for a while. 1911s are like custom cars and Harley Davidsons. A lot of the people that are looking for one don't want it already tricked out. They would prefer to make the mods themselves. And you never get out it, what you put in.
That's why I like the RIA tactical. It already has slide cuts (albeit non standard, but you can work with it) and not much else.

Not to mention I just got a reloading press. Reloading press, a decent shooting steel government 1911 with an absurdly covered lifetime warranty and a place to hang my steel plates. ;triggerhappy

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
That's why I like the RIA tactical. It already has slide cuts (albeit non standard, but you can work with it) and not much else.

Not to mention I just got a reloading press. Reloading press, a decent shooting steel government 1911 with an absurdly covered lifetime warranty and a place to hang my steel plates. ;triggerhappy
Have you got an idea of cost of what you are reloading .45 per round? I'm thinking of reloading but trying to determine if it is cost effective right now. Eventually I would like to start it regardless of the initial cost benefit.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Have you got an idea of cost of what you are reloading .45 per round? I'm thinking of reloading but trying to determine if it is cost effective right now. Eventually I would like to start it regardless of the initial cost benefit.
I have done very expensive research on reloading, and have talked to several people who reload. And from what I can tell its not cost effective to reload the more common rounds, ei 9mm, 45. Etc. figure you can get 9mm federal brass ammo for 22 cents per round. And 45 for about 35 cents around. Some guys will tell you they can do 100 rounds for 12 bucks reloading it themselves. But they are casting there own bullets. By the time you add up all the starting costs, you would have load tens of thousands of rounds before you break even. I have had more than a few guys tell me they only do it as a hobby and not for cost savings........

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I have done very extensive research on reloading, and have talked to several people who reload. And from what I can tell its not cost effective to reload the more common rounds, ei 9mm, 45. Etc. figure you can get 9mm federal brass ammo for 22 cents per round. And 45 for about 35 cents around. Some guys will tell you they can do 100 rounds for 12 bucks reloading it themselves. But they are casting there own bullets. By the time you add up all the starting costs, you would have load tens of thousands of rounds before you break even. I have had more than a few guys tell me they only do it as a hobby and not for cost savings........

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I have done very extensive research on reloading, and have talked to several people who reload. And from what I can tell its not cost effective to reload the more common rounds, ei 9mm, 45. Etc. figure you can get 9mm federal brass ammo for 22 cents per round. And 45 for about 35 cents around. Some guys will tell you they can do 100 rounds for 12 bucks reloading it themselves. But they are casting there own bullets. By the time you add up all the starting costs, you would have load tens of thousands of rounds before you break even. I have had more than a few guys tell me they only do it as a hobby and not for cost savings........
I figured for me it would be at best a break even proposition, but the ability and means to load your own would be worth much more in the long run.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I figured for me it would be at best a break even proposition, but the ability and means to load your own would be worth much more in the long run.
And I don't disagree. I have been on the look out for some entry level reloading equipment myself. Not so much for the savings, but more for the fun of it and the ability to experiment with different loads, bullet weighs and so on....
Which is also why I have buckets of brass in the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I can reload .45 for about .13 a round and I buy everything except brass for .45. Cost breakdown as follows - .01 for powder (4.5 gns of Titegroup at $18 per pound), .03 for primer (Federal or Winchester $30 per 1K), .09 for a 230gn LRN projectile ( 500 for $44.00) from Lucky 13 bullets.

I have bought brass for .223, 30-30 and .40 but have spent only about $70 total on that and I'm seeing a minimum of 6 reuses.

I reload .223 for .18 each using the Wahoo bulk buy service
30-30 runs .49 per round (I can get this down if I buy powder from Wahoo and don't use the Hornady Leverolution bullets)
.40 is .17 a round using FMJ/JHP's.

I'm not factoring in the cost of the press only because over it's life, it's only pennies. The payback including supplies for my press and all my dies and accessories was about 2 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.