S & W M-442 .38 spl. (Questions) | Carolina Shooters Club

S & W M-442 .38 spl. (Questions)

Discussion in 'Revolvers - all things wheelgun related' started by JC-jr, Dec 3, 2016.

1. JC-jr

JC-jr Registered Member

I've added a 'wheel gun' to the collection having done only 1911's and polymer semi's for a good while now. Bought it mostly so my wife would have something easy to shoot if she had to do it but also will use it myself for EDC. So, I've got a few questions:

1 - Will the gun go off (potentially) if dropped? I don't know the technology of the newer revolvers and did a quick search yesterday but didn't really turn up a sufficient, mind easing answer. I know there was a day that you did not carry a certain revolver with a round at 'home base' (ie, where the hammer rested). What about this gun?

2 - When I do carry, I would like to put it in my pocket. What 'pocket holsters' are my choices for this gun?

3 - I realized upon getting home that I did not think about a 'speed loader' or carrying 'extra ammo'. Seems more difficult with a revolver than a pistol with a magazine. What are my options for carrying extra rounds and getting them in the gun quickly if needed?

4 - Lastly, what's your preference for ammo? Range? Personal Defense? (This gun will shoot +P)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

2. Shorty 45 MK2

Shorty 45 MK2 Registered Member

Hi, the 442 is a neat little cc piece but probably not the best for your first DA revolver due to the light weight and heavyish trigger.

It is drop safe due to a bar attached to the trigger that blocks the hammer from the firing pin unless pulled fully to the rear. (I can post pics showing you later if you want.)

For carrying spare ammunition a "speed strip" is the easiest way as it can be dropped in a pocket. (Although there are pouches available.) but a speedloader is fastest unless you get it cut for moonclips.

You definitely want a good pocket holster although you don't need a $60+ one, the #3 from Blackhawk is $10 and pretty good, but I prefer the horse hide one from Galco. (Pocket pro I think, but it cost $20.)

About the best SD ammunition available is the Speer GD 135gr. +p as it has a good record from most departments using it for BUGs or off duty use and most newer snubs seem to be sighted in for it. The 158gr. +p FBI load is also good but some don't like the all lead construction.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Lord of War likes this.
  3. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Yeah, what he said. I have one and love it. Speed strips all the way. I had trouble getting a speed loader to work right because the cylinder is so close to the frame when open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brangus likes this.
  4. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Speed strips. They will drop right in a pocket but when I carry a revolver I carry a dump pouch like this one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I like the Mika pocket holsters better than anything I've tried, and I've tried a bunch.

And, just because it's +P rated doesn't mean you have to shoot and carry +P ammo in it. There's nothing wrong with standard pressure .38 Special.

You got yourself a nice little revolver. You've been here long enough to know that you're required to post some photos of it.

jakerson9 and gj10 like this.
  6. jdjimbo

jdjimbo Registered Member

1. No. S&W revolvers have had hammer blocks since mid-WW1

2. I like my DeSantis over my Remora. Those are the only two I've tried

3. Speed strips. I've heard there are good speed loaders out there but I haven't liked the 2-3 I've tried

SD - Speer Gold Dot +P 135gr short barrel, CORBON 110gr DPX, or Hornady +P 110gr FTX "Critical Defense" are all pretty well-tested. I found the Hornady to have the easiest recoil for me

Range - whatever I can get for < $16 a box, which often ends up being Magtech 139gr or 158gr. I've mixed cylinders of them and can't tell a difference in recoil or POI out to 10 yards

7. 41magfan

41magfan Registered Member

Your revolver shouldn't fire when it's dropped but S&W hammerless revolvers DO NOT have a hammer block safety. It would be redundant.

8. jdjimbo

jdjimbo Registered Member

Thank you for the correction. After further reading it appear the centennial models won't fire if dropped because the hammer doesn't have enough force to move the firing pin without the main spring action.

9. 2afreedom

2afreedom Member

Only thing I will add here is another ammo option. I like the Remington Golden Saber .38+P rounds. It gets good gel results (check out Youtube) and can be found on sale for around $13/25 rounds.

jakerson9 likes this.
  10. amnesia

amnesia Guest

jakerson9 likes this.
  11. jakerson9

jakerson9 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

@JC-jr - others have pointed it out - a 442 is a wonderful revolver, but Mr. Amnesia is correct. The Hornady FTX lite is GREAT ammunition because it has MUCH less recoil. I don't disagree with the 135gr +p or the FBI load or any of the others mentioned, but a small light revolver with +p ammo and a new new shooter generally equals a good deal on a revolver for someone else after new-shooter has the "OMG THIS HURTS - FLINCH-FLINCH-FLINCH - I CANT SHOOT THIS- sell it now, it is junk!!!" reaction at the range. A 442 is a great combination of light and small, but much less weight brings more perceived recoil.

I've been shooting for 40 years and I love those 90 grain Hornady FTX loads because they are soft-shooting and predictable from MY 442.

ONE other low-cost recommendation - clean and dry the revolver, get a bottle of the wife's white nail polish and a bottle of her clear nail polish and put a dab on the tip of the front sight. It will come off easy if you don't like it, but it also gives a good contrast and helps focus on the front sight tip which is a sound fundamental that should help with more accurate shot placement.

Since you didn't include a photo, Here are two. One shows the 442 the other shows the front sight tip with some white nail polish and a coating of clearcoat over it.

FrontSight.jpg avatar.jpg

gj10 and Shorty 45 MK2 like this.
  12. wetdog1911

wetdog1911 Registered Member

Plus 1 on the Mika pocket holster

Not much to comment on with the loads as right after I got the 442 I landed in hospital and have yet to make it to the range.

But, my wife and I decided on one thing. She fell in love with the light weight of the pistol, but was concerned about recoil as am I. We are both well past retirement age and et up with RA, especially in the hands.

The solution is going to be the S&W M43C, an 8 shot 22lr clone of the 442 Airweight. DAO and even lighter @11.5 oz. No recoil, perfect for practice and may even get carried ... depending. I also have a ANIB M49 in the mix, so we'll see who likes what the best and what gets shot the best. All will fit in the same Mika pocket holster.

We both feel that the 43C is going to be well received.

Wet

13. SMinNC27215

SMinNC27215 Law Enforcement

Hey, try the j-pak speedloadera by Zeta-six. They're made like speed strips but in the same 5-shot star pattern as an hks speedloader. I have several of them for my j-frame. They have no trouble clearing the grips.

14. SMinNC27215

SMinNC27215 Law Enforcement