S&W Model 10 | Carolina Shooters Club

S&W Model 10

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Adam Hewlin, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Adam Hewlin

Adam Hewlin Registered Member

This was offered to me for a really good price last Friday and of course I couldn't resist .I plan to have it fully reconditioned in the very near future and was wondering if any fellow members on here own one or used to own one.It's old and worn but still smoother than silk.She's a keeper. IMG_20200228_141912927.jpg IMG_20200228_141939017.jpg

2. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

I've never owned a 10 but I did own a 64 for a while. It's basically the same gun as a 10 but in stainless. They are both great guns. Nothing fancy but a real work horse that will last for years. Not much else to say other than it's a Smith & Wesson and you can't go wrong. The only reason I don't still own the 64 is because it was the only .38 I had and I didn't want to add another caliber to the loading bench. Not a good reason to let it go but neither are any of the reasons I come up with to buy most of the guns I buy!:D

C.S.

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  3. dwhite6637

dwhite6637 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have a few old model 10's, some of the best plinking revolvers around. Everything that a Smith and Wesson revolver should be, double action is smooth as can be, and single action is basically just a touch of the trigger. Fixed sights from the factory but all the examples I have are dead on with the fixed sights. Good choice.

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  4. Adam Hewlin

Thank you,and yes the single action trigger pull is freaking sweet!

5. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

Nice revolver, I like the bull barrel on these better than the pencil barrel. Do you know how old it is? Flip the cylinder open and look down at the bottom of the crane, what's the "dash" number? Should say something like Model 10-1, -2, -3, etc.

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  6. Adam Hewlin

I'll check that too but according to the serial number it was made in 1979.It has made me love a revolver more than a semi auto.I'm actually thinking about selling or trading my 9mm for another 38 revolver for every day carry.

Headspace likes this.
  7. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

Find yourself a nice Model 19 or Model 66. The 19 is a blued .38Spl/.357 Magnum, the 66 is the same revolver in stainless steel. Adjustable rear sights instead of the fixed notch.
    My M19-3, manufactured in 1967:
    DSC09030 (2).JPG DSC09031.JPG

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  8. Adam Hewlin

Finally checked it,model 10-6.

9. Adam Hewlin

That's a beautiful model 19 Headspace!My 10 is ugly but I paid less for it than they are selling for online now so I'm still happy!

10. Have gun-will travel

Have gun-will travel Member

I carried a bull barrel model 10 for many years at the PD. Great shooting gun. When the department switched over to semi autos we were allowed to purchase them . Still have it today

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  11. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

Personally, I'm not a fan of the adjustable sight guns. I really like the "lines" of the fixed sight models(10 & 64). I had a 4" 64 for a while and although I have no practical need for one I think a 10 or 64 with a 3" bull barrel would be the perfect carry revolver.

just my .02,
    CS