Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone owned or do they currently own a S&W Model 63? I have had a 317 snub and the 3" and it was just to light. Really miss having a nice revolver to shoot so I think I'd like to pick one of these up. Going to sell a few cheap guns to fund it.

Anyone know anyone from Cullowhee(West of Asheville) to Raleigh that has one in stock?

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
I've had my eye out for a decent priced one for a while too. I very stupidly sold a Model 34-1 4" (blued version) last year and have kicked myself ever since. At the Asheville show last week, there were 3 Model 63s that I saw for sale. Each was over $600. I really want one, but think that's a bit too high.

For what it's worth, I have the 4" Model 617 and absolutely fricking LOVE it. I picked it up earlier this year and it's made every range trip since. For regular range use, I think it's the better choice because of the K frame size. The J frame is a bit too small for my comfort. You are welcome to come shoot it any time you like.

I also had one of the new SP101 4.2" .22lrs. VERY VERY nice revolver after I swapped out the springs. Snal suckered me out of it though. I would rate the SP a close 2nd to the 617.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm debating a 617 over a 63. I would use it mainly as a plinking/target/fun gun. The prices are really close to each otber. Already have a couple of k frame holsters also....

Thanks for the info so far everyone.

Tim, thanks also for the offer. I have shot a 617 at Brandon1's several times and it's a great shooting gun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd grab whichever one (63 or 617) you run across a decent deal on first. My 63 goes on pretty much every shooting outing I go on, but I'd also like to have a 4" 617 for the reasons already mentioned. If I see a deal on one I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Your aching for a SP101 .22LR. Sized between the 617 and the 63, and you saw mine was accurate. Spring swap is in order though.

Cheaper too. See the SP101's for $525 often.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
Keep your eyes open for an S&W Mod 18. K frame, 6 shot, 4" barrel, sweet shooting guns. NO.... you can't have mine, but you're welcome to shoot it if we ever meet up at the range....

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
A Smith 63 is one of the most eye appealing revolvers out there but in practical terms one of the most frustrating to shoot well. I have good luck with the Target grips on the Kit gun but it still takes a greater effort to get consistant accuracy. I have often wondered why there is no(known to me) pistolsmith that specializes in Kit gun accuracy ungrades.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
A Smith 63 is one of the most eye appealing revolvers out there but in practical terms one of the most frustrating to shoot well. I have good luck with the Target grips on the Kit gun but it still takes a greater effort to get consistant accuracy. I have often wondered why there is no(known to me) pistolsmith that specializes in Kit gun accuracy ungrades.
What "upgrades" do you think would improve said accuracy?? Grips are the only thing that comes to mind and that depends on hand size and preferences. I'm curious.......

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
An upgrade for me would be replacing and fitting parts of the revolver to give match grade accuracy. There's nothing like a quarter size 50 yard group from a Ranson rest to give you confidence for your next shot even though the hold may not be up to the revolvers capabilities.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
An upgrade for me would be replacing and fitting parts of the revolver to give match grade accuracy. There's nothing like a quarter size 50 yard group from a Ranson rest to give you confidence for your next shot even though the hold may not be up to the revolvers capabilities.
I'm failing to see what parts you want fitted that would improve accuracy???? A good trigger that breaks cleanly and fairly light, and alignment of the cylinder to the barrel are all that's required. If you're speaking to rimfires specifically, experimenting with different ammo until you find what your particular gun likes is paramount to achieving your goals.
If there's something else please educate me.......

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking for either a 63, 617 or model 17 right now. Please let me know if anyone see's one at their local shop. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.