Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My Mom says I'm cool.
4,332 Posts
And only from the hip in a fast draw. And you can turn it around and use it as a hammer.
No, it's yours, shoot it any way you like.

·
Registered
215 Posts
this may be dumber than most of my questions, but are the Single action revolvers (let's say a blackhawk) meant to be fired one handed?
Not a dumb question at all!

Personally, I've never found the "standard" single action grip very comfortable to shoot single handed, compared to say a S&W double-action revolver grip. Ruger (and others?) make a "Bisley" grip frame on some of their single actions that are MUCH more comfortable (at least to me) to shoot one-handed. The hammer spur is typically lower on the Bisley guns as well, to enable easier single-handed cocking of the hammer.

If you don't own a single action, but are thinking about buying one, I strongly suggest you handle a Bisley grip as well as the "standard" grip frame, before you decide which is for you.

Lou

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Not a dumb question at all!

Personally, I've never found the "standard" single action grip very comfortable to shoot single handed, compared to say a S&W double-action revolver grip. Ruger (and others?) make a "Bisley" grip frame on some of their single actions that are MUCH more comfortable (at least to me) to shoot one-handed. The hammer spur is typically lower on the Bisley guns as well, to enable easier single-handed cocking of the hammer.

If you don't own a single action, but are thinking about buying one, I strongly suggest you handle a Bisley grip as well as the "standard" grip frame, before you decide which is for you.

Lou
This. For me, the Ruger Bisley grip is much more comfortable to shoot, especially for hi-octane loads.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
not on purpose. LOL
Say what!....you may not deserve a single action...LOL! I can't fondle any of my single actions without throwing on a gunfighter rig and doing a few steely-eyed fast draws...and the lever guns, gotta do the Lucas McCain "Rifleman" intro a few times with each fondling :)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there's more to the story

Say what!....you may not deserve a single action...LOL! I can't fondle any of my single actions without throwing on a gunfighter rig and doing a few steely-eyed fast draws...and the lever guns, gotta do the Lucas McCain "Rifleman" intro a few times with each fondling :)
For what it's worth, my first name is John and my middle name is Wayne. Never heard any jokes about it though. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
My first handguns were mostly SA revolvers back in mid-60s and I was taught only a "wimp" shoots a handgun with two hands. Curling little finger under grip helped some but still hurt with heavy loads. Didn't take long after getting into handgun hunting to find out how much difference two hands made. Ditto on Bisley grips for heavy loads!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Personally, I don't care for the look or feel of Bisley's. Ruger Vaquero's standard grips are a bit too big for me, New Vaquero grips fit me pretty good. Both my Vaquero's are "Old Models" with Birdshead grips but with a set of Buffalo Brothers black checkered grip panels. I Love the look and feel of these. The only ones that fit my hands better are the Birdshead Single Sixes and there has never been a more natural pointing handgun than a Colt Navy cap-n-ball revolver!!

That being said, it's yours shoot it how ever you want and often enough to be proficient with it.

C.S

G

·
i shoot mine with both hands .... probably makes about as much sense as taking an AR and putting a tripod and shooting from a bench :)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
+++ on the ruger new vaquero bisley I picked up this consecutive pair a year or 2 ago and love them. They are 38/357 and i am only 5ft 8 max and these fit my hands perfect when gripping to shoot. I realize my finger is in the triggerguard as i was about to uncock it when the pic snapped. The gun is unloaded.

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
+++ on the ruger new vaquero bisley I picked up this consecutive pair a year or 2 ago and love them. They are 38/357 and i am only 5ft 8 max and these fit my hands perfect when gripping to shoot. I realize my finger is in the triggerguard as i was about to uncock it when the pic snapped. The gun is unloaded.

That doesn't look like a Bisley set to me, maybe the grip best I can tell with the white on white. But, the trigger also looks off and especially the hammer. Still pretty guns though.

Years ago I found a Bisley grip/trigger/hammer set at a show and put together the first and only Bisley Vaquero. 2 years later Ruger made it a standard production item.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I stand corrected. After looking at the boxes i realize that they send the same litterature with the new vaquero and the biesley new vaquero. Either way these pistols fit my racoon hands just fine. Lol

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I have to shoot single action colt sized guns using both hands because my thumb on the shooting hand (both of them ) is too short to reach the hammer. I assume in the mythical old west there were many folks similarly anatomically endowed. The single hand stuff in movies is as accurate as the 30 shot six shooter or the bullets knocking people backwards. That's show business.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.