Sass question | Carolina Shooters Club

Sass question

Discussion in 'Shooting Sports & Competitions' started by Terror, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Terror

Terror Registered Member

Hay guys I know there are some SASS shooters here. I inherited my Dads pistols and am getting started in SASS. Just registered on Friday. I have a lot of gear to get and want to see if I am heading the right way. I am planning on shooting B Western cause I like drop holsters. I am wanting to see if I covered all the boxes with my outfit as there is a lot of or’s in the rules. Am I good with the pics for this?

Robert

Attached Files:

2. Crunchy Frog

Crunchy Frog Registered Member

Welcome to the game. Let me encourage you to attend a local match or two before you buy anything else. If you are close to I-77, the Palmetto Posse is having its annual Christmas Match the first Saturday in December. Worth checking out.

The description of categories in the Shooters Handbook tends to confuse new folks. Many come away with the mistaken impression that shooters have to choose between two categories: Classic Cowboy or B-Western. Not so. Those categories place lots of restrictions and costs on shooters but I’d estimate less than ten percent of shooters are in those categories. It’s simpler to start in the “Open age category” or in one of the “Age based categories”. In those categories you can dress how you want, so long as you satisfy the general costuming requirements, ang you can use any type of holster, any SASS legal firearms and ammo.

One requirement of B-Western is that your boots and gunbelt have to be decorative. Fancy stitching, studs or the like.

Feel free to send me a message if I can help you.

Again, get to a local match. Don’t wait until you have everything.

3. Terror

Terror Registered Member

I thought the age groups were sub groups of the classic Cowboy or B Western?
    For example I thought I would be in

B western
    Gunfighter
    50 year old

that kind of thing.
    I am not planning on buying much before getting more input. Either at a match or from gentlemen like you. Got a match coming up in 2 weeks I can get to. So am gunna drop by to watch and talk some of the guys up on all this

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  4. Crunchy Frog

No, you have made the same mistake many have made. Ignore the Costume based categories for now.

At age 50 you can opt for 49er, Wrangler or Cowboy.

Don’t try shooting Gunfighter style as a new shooter.

5. Terror

Terror Registered Member

The only thing I have bought so far is $10 worth of conchos. Except the shirt I already own and wear the rest regularly. Been dressin that way for 30 years. Trying to check with a lot of SASS shooters before I start spending money.

I understand you thoughts on shooting gunfighter. But I have been shooting single action one handed for as long as I can remember. I used to shoot a super black hawk 44 magnum one handed exclusively. It’s how I like to shoot them. Also I don’t care about times or winning. All I care about is shooting clean and enjoying myself. I have tried shooting them 2 handed and just done like the feel of it.

Any other tips you could add would be welcome.

Robert

Pic added is how I normally dress when not working. Just take away the guns and scarf. Tho I did add the scarf for church. Lol everybody joked asking me if I was gunna hold up the stage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  6. Crunchy Frog

You can shoot Duelist style which means shooting the revolvers without using a support hand, one revolver at a time. You can shoot Duelist style in age based categories if you like.

Alternatively you can opt for Duelist category. That category requires fixed sight revolvers.

7. Crunchy Frog

Terror, have you made it to a match yet?

8. Terror

Terror Registered Member

I have and really enjoyed watching it. Looking forward to getting started. Got to get me a rifle and shotgun next hopefully with my next bonus

9. Crunchy Frog

Shooting is even more fun than watching.

Around here we often share guns with new shooters until they have all their own gear.

The ammo and primer shortage has caused some folks to cut back on the number of matches they shoot. Less extra ammo to share with new folks as well. We’ve seen these droughts before; as with all troubles it will pass. When it does, stock up!