Savage 24 Question | Carolina Shooters Club

Savage 24 Question

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by SourwoodTom, Oct 9, 2021.

1. SourwoodTom

SourwoodTom Registered Member

I have an old Savage model 24 over/under.

Gun is marked 24 Series P on the 20ga. shotgun barrel. The upper barrel is 22 Win Mag R.F. Serial number prefix (C) puts manufacture in the late 70's.

It is my understanding that all of the Series P guns were .22LR over 20ga. There is no evidence that the barrel isn't original, no evidence of aftermarket welds or rebluing.

Anybody have some insight into these guns?

2. 45/70hunter

45/70hunter Registered Member

3. SourwoodTom

SourwoodTom Registered Member

Thanks for the links, but neither addresses my question. I belong to the Savage forum (own several other Savage rifles), but am waiting approval to post in the Savage24 forum.

4. Sharps4050

Sharps4050 Registered Member

Easy to google. Per the attached 1974 Savage add copy, hard to read but go to upper right corner -- you'll see it says several variants of the 24's came in 22 lr over 20g or 410 and 22 mag over 20g. The ad lists a few different letter variants and I can't make out a P but your gun is likely in the same configuration as when it left the factory.

These were cheep working guns. Highly unlikely the owners were into customizing via rechambering or soldering/welding on barrels or even swapping barrels. The simpler solution is most likely, it came that way.

https://muddyshuttermediadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/1974add.jpg

1974add.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 8:29 AM