Savage model 10 help needed | Carolina Shooters Club

Savage model 10 help needed

Discussion in 'The Snipers Nest' started by Spikespiegle, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Spikespiegle

Spikespiegle Registered Member

I recently purchased a savage model 10 308 caliber manufactured in 2004. With the action screws being 4.27 apart and am need of help to find a stock composite similar to the standard style. Just not ugly and poorly finished as the factory stock. I have the heavy varmit tapered barrel. Also I am wanting to convert from the blind magazine to a detachable box magazine. My budget is tight soo any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. HotSoup

HotSoup Registered Member

Sell it and buy the model you want.

3. DaBoogsterNC

DaBoogsterNC Registered Member

There are many good stocks out there to fit a Savage Model 10 short action heavy varmint barrel such as yours. Boyds, Richard’s Microfit and many others, all good. To save money, you could get a partially finished laminated stock and finish it yourself. Richards has these.

Buy once, cry once.

Spikespiegle likes this.
  4. Spikespiegle

Thank you for this information

5. DaBoogsterNC

DaBoogsterNC Registered Member

Happy to help.

I got into target shooting and building very accurate rifles to prepare to travel West with buddies to go prairie dogging starting in 1981, so have replaced factory stocks and built target rifles many times. If you want to know more than 99% of the shooters out there about what makes rifles accurate, get the book “Accurizing the Factory Rifle” by Mick McPherson. Below is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Accurizing-Factory-Rifle-M-McPherson/dp/0967094836

Mick is a very nice and very smart guy when it comes to rufles and reloading. I got to know him back in the old days of the Varmint Hunter Jamboree in South Dakota. I’ve not seen or spoken with him in 10 plus years, since the Jamboree and Varmint Hunter Magazine bit the dust. But we had some great times discussing what makes guns into ¼ MOA tack drivers.

I have pillar-bedded actions into stocks for myself and for friends. It is not hard but takes some time. I do not have a mill so cutting a stock’s barrel channel to fit a custom heavy target barrel is a time-consuming PITA, but in your case, you should be able to get a “stock that is ready to rock” from all stock makers for your factory 308. Stock builders make stocks to fit nearly all popular factory rifles.

IMHO: The #1 thing that makes a good functioning gun more accurate is a better (lighter and more “crisp”) trigger. The Savage Mod. 10 trigger in yiur gun should be their standard hunting “Accutrigger”. It is a hunting trigger that can be adjusted safely down to about 1.9-2.5 pounds. If you plan to shoot off a rest out to 200 or 300 yards at a target size of 8”, a good trigger (Rifle Basix, Timney, many makers of triggers out there) might be a good thing to invest in. Next step for accuracy (and for low cost) would be to invest time in your current stock. One thing to do is make sure the barrel is free floating then pillar bed the action in your current stock.

Buy a great scope too, nothing under $300 for a 308 and better to buy a $500-$700 plus one. There are many good scopes out there now. Nikon makes some really good bargain priced scopes. The best way my friends and I have found to test and compare rifle scopes is to tack a newspaper out as a target at 50-125 yards (depending on the scope’s power). Then you can see how fine a print can be read and how clear the newsprint is. It is very educational if you have friends at the range with you where you can compare multiple scopes and scope makers.

Spikespiegle likes this.
  6. Mwilson

Mwilson Registered Member

I love Boyd stocks but in all honesty the "Archangel" is a great stock very affordalbe and DBM

Spikespiegle likes this.
  7. Spikespiegle

Soo much great information thank you

8. Mwilson

Mwilson Registered Member

9. RJT

RJT Club Subscribed Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Choate or the MTD Oryx chassis.

For a scope check out the Arken line of scopes. IMO the best sub $500 scopes on the market.

10. GTM1

GTM1 Registered Member

So what is your budget on the stock?