SC CWP Application question | Carolina Shooters Club

SC CWP Application question

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by J4Short, Apr 27, 2020.

1. J4Short

J4Short Registered Member

Hey all, needing some help. I’m using the online application to apply for my SC CWP and keep getting hung up on entering my certification details. Specifically it tells me the instructor ID isn’t valid. I took a course in 2018 that fully qualifies me from an NRA instructor. I was given a certificate of completion for license to carry Massachusetts requirements as well as generic one for Nh (since we didn’t really need it for NH. His id number is 8 digits, and he verified they were correct as well.

Any ideas why the system won’t take it online? Also what is the format for instructor ids in SC? I’m wondering if them being different has anything to do with it.

I would love to get my AR pistol back from the gunsmith holding on to it for me as i am rolling with my kbar and bat.. old school style.

Thanks for any help!

2. Jeppo

Jeppo Member

I’m not in SC and just making a wild guess...

Does SC require your training to have come from a SC-based instructor?

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  3. J4Short

I don’t know. And I honestly don’t think so because even on NRA website he is listed as valid instructor. ALSO In a crazy turn of events, by adding a 0 in front of his ID number it suddenly made it valid. However now it is saying my student ID# must have the first 9 digits match his then have the remaining 8 be mine?? I added in 8 0’s since even he said he doesn’t give out student id numbers and it accepted it, then went to move me on to pay the fee but I didn’t go further. the last thing I want to do is send invalid info over to SLED. I took a screenshot. This is crazy!!

Attached Files:

4. Jeppo

Jeppo Member

I’d call the Sheriff and ask.

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  5. Jeppo

Jeppo Member

I believe you’ll find your answer here. Emphasis added by Jeppo. ;)

http://www.sled.sc.gov/CWPFaq.aspx
    • Q: How do I apply for a South Carolina CWP?
    • A: Most applicants must first attend required training through a certified South Carolina CWP instructor. A listing of instructors is available on the SLED website under the Concealed Weapons Permit Program tab. Your selected instructor will help you navigate through the remainder of the CWP application process.

J4Short and SkydivnShooter like this.
  6. Sherra Scott

Sherra Scott Registered Member

My CWP instructor number is 9 digits starts with the year I got my CWP instructor certification. South Carolina does not use the NRA number. At a minimum, you should have received a CWP Student/Instructor Checklist from your instructor that you had to initial 11 items and BOTH of you had to sign. I also do the paper application for all my students which we are BOTH required to sign. My instructor number is on both and also your student number should be on both. Your student number will have the format of XXXXXXXXX-YYYY-#### (X = Instructor certification number, Y=4 digit year you took the class, # = a 4+ digit number the instructor gets to create). The Student/Instructor Checklist and Student Numbers have been required since May 1, 2014.

J4Short likes this.
  7. J4Short

Woah. So this is response I got from my instructor...

I don't know what to tell you.
    You have my Instructor # from the NRA
    I don't know what your Student Number is or should be.
    I don't assign Student Numbers.
    Maybe when students register thru the NRA website they are issued a Student number, but I don't use the NRA website to process students.

Maybe if explain that to them, that will be enough.

Thomas Brown
    Firearms Instructor - Training and certification”

He’s listed on NRA website as certified instructor with his nine digit number. I really don’t want to have to take another class just to get a number. Any ideas on how I should proceed? I remember Signing into the class but never got a checklist?

8. wmg819

wmg819 Registered Member

Unfortunately if I remember correctly retaking the class is what you will need to do for a SC CWP since although your instructor was good to go in MA hes not certified for SC. Like Jeppo pointed out.

Like Sherra Scott stated he has a number issued by SC SLED when he became a SC CWP instructor probably similar to the one NC DOJ issued me when I became an CCH instructor in NC. Even though I was required to also be an NRA instructor my NRA instructor number is not valid for NC permits. I believe this is done to ensure you are familiar with the concealed carry laws of SC before issuing a permit.

9. J4Short

Ok thank you all for the info. Definitely a bummer as now I don’t wanna get my gear from the gunsmith holding it until I have a license in hand. Even transporting correctly disassembled etc without a CWP makes me nervous for sled themselves seeing as my gear is scary looking. Thanks everyone. Not answer I want but I’ll take educated responses to heart.

10. magicmanmb

magicmanmb Registered Member

Unless you’re an instructor approved by
    SLED you’re required to take the SC class SLED has a list of approved citizen instructors on their website. I can teach law enforcement but not a citizen, due to the legal portion being different. That and the computer company switchover doesn’t put $$ in a politician pocket. Just be glad we have CWP & you can purchase more than one handgun every 30 days. We fought hard for what rights we have. I bought a matching set of cased Colt 1911’s when SLED got the extra registration that wasn’t a registration, took delivery of 1 then had to wait 30 more days for it’s match. The FFL kept it in his case as a reason people needed to vote out the stupid people.

Similar to right now if you’re over 16 it’s against the law to wear a mask. SC like other states has a ton of laws that need to be removed outdated for 100+ years. Deed on property that reads I can be jailed for selling to someone other than a White Male, obviously invalid but to think it was still there in 1997.
    Police have no duty to protect you multiple court cases on that, yet police chiefs come out against armed trained citizens every time a camera is near. Want to know when’s the last time they were on patrol in a dark alley unknown type call by thereselves. Sorry for the end going off topic SC May be a stand you’re ground but certain counties they don’t know the law at all

11. J4Short

Thanks for info. Admins feel free to close