SC Permitless Carry passed by SC House (H 3025 amended) | Carolina Shooters Club

SC Permitless Carry passed by SC House (H 3025 amended)

Discussion in 'SC Concealed Carry' started by Bill in Greenvllle SC, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Bill in Greenvllle SC

Bill in Greenvllle SC Registered Member

From the Charleston Post and Courier (Verified by SC State legislature web site)

COLUMBIA — A bill allowing South Carolinians to carry concealed weapons without a permit was approved on Thursday by the House.

The proposal, passed as an amendment to a more limited bill, would require that people carrying guns still pass a background check and be eligible to buy a weapon.

Permits would still be offered so that concealed weapons could be carried in other states that require them and honor permits issued by South Carolina, said Rep. Mike Pitts, the Laurens Republican who proposed the amendment.

Catfish, jerz_subbie and elenaidan like this.
  2. Butter

Butter Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I like how this is gaining ground around the states...

Silver_Bullet likes this.
  3. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

That is some great news.

4. Bill in Greenvllle SC

But even if it passes, there will be no reciprocity with other states without a CWP.

5. Bill in Greenvllle SC

Permits will still be maintained for those that need reciprocity with other states.

6. -06

-06 Hall of Shame

Now on to "open carry". They voted on it last year but it was dumped.

7. Bill in Greenvllle SC

This was offered as an amendment to the original bill H3025 that would require that SC recognize Georgia permits when Ga. agrees to recognize SC permits. It's ironic that the bill requires reciprocity with Georgia for permit holders but removes the permit requirement for concealed carry in SC.

8. TS12000

TS12000 Member

Good on them. Feels good living in a state where gun laws are moving in the right direction.

9. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Some may choose to open carry but mine will stay concealed.

10. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

It is a right and should be an option, even if you don't want to carry that way. I will choose to remain concealed most the time, but I will also point out that we do not need government mandating how we can carry our arms, because we have a right to bear arms. Mandating how the people can bear arms is an infringement.

Because you don't want to open carry, doesn't mean you should be against it and not support it.

11. Scottd9990

Scottd9990 Member

How is NC coming on this issue???

12. RichDM

RichDM Registered Member

Agreed, how we carry should be our choice.

jjwestbrook and Silver_Bullet like this.
  13. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

NC has several pro gun bills that were introduced. On the concealed carry without a permit issue, I'm not seeing a vote on HB699 or anything to move it yet. Was told there needed to be votes on these bills by April 30th. Still waiting for that GRNC alret / update on 699.

golfer likes this.
  14. golfer

golfer Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

It continues to amaze me the attitude of fellow South Carolinian's on the open carry issue. Some of the most pro gun guys I've met here since we've moved to SC are so against it. I have voiced my reasons for open carry and how it is an infringement as @Silver_Bullet has stated but to no avail. I hear "it would be the wild west if we started allowing open carry" or I even heard "if we allow open carry, the bad guys would take your gun and commit crimes or even shoot you with your own gun." LOL, I don't think open carry will happen here until a louder voice is heard by many more.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  15. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

Yep.......Issues it is hard to convince people supposedly on our side in both states. SC it's Open Carry, and in NC it is purchase permits.

The Classical "I support the Second Amendment but", means they don't really support the Second Amendment.

BTY NC Legislatures (Republican Super Majority) killed concealed carry with no permit for all law abiding citizens, with little to no alerts to motivate action like on the increased privilege bill H562 for CHP holders from GRNC.

We like being privileged and don't get motivated to secure the right for everyone. It is almost selfish IMO.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    golfer likes this.
  16. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

Not sure why it would be needed with permit less concealed carry.

17. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

I understand and agree. But I don't think it will pass especially with the permit less concealed carry passing.

Don't misread that as me being against open carry just speaking out loud from an understanding of politics.

Whether you agree with it or not concealed carry is more acceptable. It's an easier sell to the constituents that don't like guns. Out of site out of mind.

drypowder, sdiver2006 and golfer like this.
  18. golfer

Agreed.

19. jjwestbrook

jjwestbrook Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

while I would probably keep it concealed 95% of the time . I am 100% for open carry.

SCshooter57 likes this.
  20. golfer

I believe we should have the choice and not so sure I want the .gov boys telling how I can and cannot carry. You have been to my house and anyone else that has, knows I open carry on my property at all times. I also agree, I would be concealed most of the time in public. I would say that being able to conceal carry is a great alternative to not being able to carry without asking the state for permission by purchasing a conceal carry permit but I would just like to see the freedom of the option is all as I believe it is our right.

drypowder and jjwestbrook like this.
  21. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

A fair start. Now to see how the state Senate votes on the matter.

The SC Senate is about on par with the House with the political split: House is 63% Republican, 37% Democrat. Senate is 61% Republican and 39% Democrat.

And, of course, our very own hottie governor Nikki Haley is Republican.

I won't hold my breath on this, but the odds do look a lot better than for many other states that may try this. After all, we did just change our laws last year to allow concealed carry in bars, and restaurants which serve alcohol, so long as the permit holder isn't drinking alcohol inside.