Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of deals coming in that will give me a bit of folding money. Money that really should be earmarked for my Suppressed SBR build, but logic says that's at least 5 months out and there's a 2 week, 13 round, used SR1911 calling my name.
So before I jump into another Ruger-made platform that I obviously can't have only one of....what is it about the 1911 that seems to have such a hold on some of you VS the striker fired fanatics?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you think the 1911 is addicting try a 2011 lol
Maybe check into a para ordnance pxt limited 14-45 or 16-40 or 9-18
I'd try to get 1911's with a barrel that has a feed ramp as opposed to the receiver feed ramp
They tend to be a bit more reliable than having the round pass a gap between receiver and barrel
Not to mention the ramped barrel is more geared toward fully supporting the round
My 2 cent

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I would look into Springfields, I think for the money they are the best bang for the buck. I would put the TRP up against any 1911 out there, including the over priced custom guns.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It just feels right in my hand and "real." As effective as plastic may be, there's something very comforting to me about a .45 that runs like clockwork.

Then again i may be old fashioned.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
For me, I shot one. That was all she wrote.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
I shoot my SR1911 better than my XDm. I love it. Fit and finish is great. Just got a great feel to it and the platform is an American Classic.

Just do it. It's a 1911 and a Ruger.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
People like 1911s for many reasons. Some like them simply because they think having one increases their CDI factor significantly, some have memories attached to them (used them in the military or family member did), some shoot them well, etc. Most people tend to do well with them due to the how the trigger moves (straight to the rear versus hinged).

I have 3 1911s currently but rarely carry any of them. They can get the job done, but there are more efficient weapons out there IMO.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I guess I drank to much of the kool-aid.....Glocks for me.

Had a few 1911`s and from Colt, Springfield, Para, and some others and only 1 and I mean just 1 was reliable enough to warrant carry......I guess they are not for me.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
I prefer my Kimbers to Springfield's TRP. After shooting a friend's TRP, I concluded I did not like the grips, it was half a pound HEAVIER than my Stainless TLE II, felt front heavy and slightly wider in the lower frame. The Kimber is also about $400 cheaper than the TRP and some Kimbers can be gotten for $800-$950.

As far as the 1911 series in general, they are a timeless handgun. Reliable, accurate, great looking guns, they are very slim compared to a lot of modern handguns and are you'll love the "point and shoot" ease provided by a 1911.

I vote Kimber! I know you're a Ruger fan, but this is not Ruger's playing field.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Snal...I once asked the same question. I couldn't understand it, it was like driving an old car when the hot, new sleek models were out...just didn't make sense.

Then....I got one. Now....it's one of my absolute favorite guns. Besides being a solid platform, they are very safe, they fit the hand very well, and there is NOTHING like tearing one all the way down to the frame and putting it back together, matter of fact, I just got done doing that and she's good to go.

It's hard to explain. I can say this, I have my plastic guns that I enjoy, but there's something to a steel gun with an exposed hammer and just that perfect angle of grip and very low recoil.

Warning...they are addictive.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.