Scope bottomed out | Carolina Shooters Club

Scope bottomed out

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing | Firearm Assembly | Troubleshooting' started by Devin85, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Devin85

Devin85 Registered Member

I have a 6.5 creedmore savage axis. I bought a cabela's covenant 7 tactical ffp scope with a 34 mm tube. After talking with the guy at bass pro, he said I needed a pic rail and high mounts to get the bell to clear.

I installed the above setup on the firearm and the scope "bottomed out" or ran out of down adjustment before getting on target at 100 yards. I talked with a gentleman at my shooting range and he recommended a 20 MOA pic rail. I got one and installed and still shooting 6 inches high and out of down adjustment.

Any suggestions? I am a novice shooter compared to all of the other posts I have found online..they tend to talk above my head. Simple is better if it can be explained simply. Thanks for any help or advice.

I'm already $600+ in scope and installation on a $200 gun so not trying to spend even more money if I don't have to.

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Long shot here but what type of muzzle treatment is on it? Is it just crowned and is the crown undamaged or does it have an aftermarket muzzle brake or flash hider? I had one installed once that was a bit out of alignment and the projectiles were tagging it on the way out. I adjusted and adjusted on that scope and the impact never changed. Finally figured out what it was.

3. Devin85

Thanks for the response. No, there is no muzzle brake on the end of the Barrell.

I hope I may have figured it out this morning. I looseened the zero stop screws all the way out and was able to get more adjustment out of it. As I said, I am a novice to the more expensive scopes. I usually just stuck with the rifle/scope combo until this firearm.

Going to the range in the morning so I will report back.

4. JimB

JimB Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I hate to ask, but did you check to make sure that the 20moa rail is installed correctly (taller in front)?

even without this rail you should be on paper at 100. I’m not sure how, but I’d try to figure it out rather that figure out a work-around. I’d probably start by swapping the scope.

45/70hunter likes this.
  5. Devin85

Jim,

Yes, I made sure the rail was installed correctly. Unfortunately, the solution to the problem was almost as bad. Keep in mind this is my first tactical scope however.

2 fold issue I think....
    1. Didn't have the Zero stop screws looseened all the way but they were loose..may or may not have been a factor.
    2. I was dialing the scope down with the cap on originally...with a screw in the top to hold it. I think the screw was pulling down on the cap the further I dialed the scope down. Cabela's needs to definitely work on their instructions on the tactical scopes.

Finally got it dialed in today and was shooting 4 inch gongs at 200 no problem. Thanks for the help.

JimB and SkydivnShooter like this.