Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Two brands are standouts for value....durability....optical quality.....but for some even this point is important---> accurate tracking so you can adjust and get back to zero repeatedly, these are
.... 1.) SWFA SS series..... and
2.) Any Arken scopes.....

Both are fantastic values in your price range and equal or out-perform optics that cost $1500-$2000.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Two brands are standouts for value....durability....optical quality.....but for some even this point is important---> accurate tracking so you can adjust and get back to zero repeatedly, these are
.... 1.) SWFA SS series..... and
2.) Any Arken scopes.....

Both are fantastic values in your price range and equal or out-perform optics that cost $1500-$2000.
I second the SWFA…3-15x42 ffp is currently on sale for under $500 on Swfa website.. great glass durable and track beautifully

·
Registered
57 Posts
Camera Land is having a big sale. Call up Doug after you look on their site. He likes talking to customers and enjoys giving a personal discount, and might suggest the best deal. I never heard of Arken! But the optics world is volatile. I have Athlon Midas binoculars from Camera Land and they are excellent. Zeiss Conquest and the Meopta version is superb for a lot less money than you have in mind. Meopta is a solid company Camera Land carries, or did. A 308 is no different than any other rifle. Your intended purpose is more pertinent to where to look. A simple 3x9 x 40 or 50 mm with heavy duplex reticle is superb for all around hunting. Don't get all into the "sniper" scope nonsense with a million mil dots and cross hairs everywhere. Fine cross hairs are a bad idea generally unless you are on a bench for really precise target shooting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been happy with the Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 I have on my .308. Didn't want all the holdover and windage dots. It has a simple plex reticle, side focus, and locking turrets for around $500.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I will point out a scope that no one really talks about for deer hunting. Primary Arms with the ACSS reticle. I have one on my 308 and owner's manual with the scope. Shows you how to easily range a white tail deer with the reticle. Those scopes are for more than ranging a human size target. Also a first focal plane scope will cost you less than $300.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That might be useful some places if the shooter is up to the challenge. Even the old Tascos had the duplex reticle size and spacing of the cross hairs to fit a deer size target. An easier solution is to sight in for a 200 yard zero; that way you're dead on at any range all the way out to 300. A little high at 100 and little lower at 300. No need to worry about it. 300 yards is a really long shot for most people in a hunting situation. I've shot a few at 180 from a steady position, even with irons. Most are under 100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts