Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I have been looking at my practice of storing my ammunition. As is obvious our investment can easily be as much as a weapon itself. Leaving it unsecured opens us to liability, theft and other issues. So what do you folks do? Pros and cons of putting it in a safe, secret panels is the walls, bury it in the yard .... Would be interested in hearing from the brain trust.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Currently, I have no other place in my little house to put ammo, so it is "secured" in ammo cans conveniently stacked next to the back door. As the house gets remodeled over the next few years, I will have a few slicks installed throughout the house just for things like this, but for now I gotta use what I got.

·
Banned
3,932 Posts
It is valuable, but it's a lot heavier and bulkier than your firearms, so I'd think less interesting to a thief.

I just stick it out of sight in various closets and file cabinets.

JimB

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
yup I've got mine in ammo cans too. If you load up the 50 cal cans to the bursting point they get so heavy that you'll cause back injuries to the theives that are trying to lug them off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Same here. Ammo cans. I have a few in the safe. These are the higher priced, SHTF ammos I keep. My plinking ammo is stacked here and there around the house.

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
When I upgraded to a real safe, I moved the cheap Stack-On Security cabinet to the garage. Ammo, in moisture proof ammo cans, gets locked in that cabinet. The lock will defeat a snatch and grab and, more importantly, keep the kids out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've got it all in dry boxes by caliber. All the dry boxes are locked in a heavy guage wire rack cabinet that I got from work. The rack is bolted in the garage. I figure that's good enough.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
I keep most pistol and rifle ammo in ammo cans in the safe. I have some 12 gauge in there, but keep most of it and the over run of the others in black Stanley toolbox's from Walmart, with a pad lock on them in a locked closet. Before I had a safe, I would keep loose rounds in big protein powder cans, with a moisture pack thrown in, hidden around the house.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I keep all mine in ammo cans out in the garage, because the girl doesn't feel safe with "both ammo and guns in the house" Im staying at her place right now so there isn't much I can do about it. Little does she know I have a couple loaded magazines for the G21 placed strategically around the house, and a loaded 12 gauge in the closet of the bedroom.;)

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Mine is "secured" in ammo cans. If they've already broken in, I'm not worried about the ammo.
Likewise. If we're broken into while we are home, we plan on giving them as much ammo as they want - one round at the time.
Otherwise, i agree with others. It would take a well planned operation to haul very much of it away; as much as it weighs.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I'm fortunate in that I have a designated "gun room" in my house that is secure, and I have plenty of room for my safes and my ammo. I store most of my ammo in ammo cans, except when I run out of room and need more cans, or have made a new purchase of ammo and have yet to organize it into cans.

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
I keep all mine in ammo cans out in the garage, because the girl doesn't feel safe with "both ammo and guns in the house" Im staying at her place right now so there isn't much I can do about it. Little does she know I have a couple loaded magazines for the G21 placed strategically around the house, and a loaded 12 gauge in the closet of the bedroom.;)
***the following is really none of my business, I suggest you ignore it***

good combination for a tragic accident if you ask me (which, of course you didn't). Just picture...the little lady decides to do some cleaning up, sees your shotgun in the closet and thinks, "Oh, well, he doesn't keep ammo and guns in the house together, so this is unloaded, let me just grab it by the handle thingy here and pull it out of the closet...." If you need to lie to your partner, I'd suggest rethinking a variety of things.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like most of you store my ammo in ammo cans. I never appreciated how heavy they could be till I bought 2500 rounds. Yep my manhood can in question. I did it in several trips... I am fortunate to have a "gun room" so I can keep grandkids out.
..for now. Anyone know negatives for keeping ammo in a safe? I assume moisture is a issue

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
LOL....store it in ammo cans under your kids beds since they thieves never look there...LOL!

But seriously, store it in full ammo cans and it won't be high on their list due to the discomfort of removing it quickly. They like to get in and out quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,827 Posts
***the following is really none of my business, I suggest you ignore it***

good combination for a tragic accident if you ask me (which, of course you didn't). Just picture...the little lady decides to do some cleaning up, sees your shotgun in the closet and thinks, "Oh, well, he doesn't keep ammo and guns in the house together, so this is unloaded, let me just grab it by the handle thingy here and pull it out of the closet...." If you need to lie to your partner, I'd suggest rethinking a variety of things.
*nodding my head in agreement* Sounds like real good advice. *nodding*

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.